Colombia Thread
I've been in Colombia almost 5 months. Until today it's been safe, but I got robbed at knifepoint by 4 guys. I was walking alone in this park outside of Laureles (Cerro el Valador) when it was still light outside. There was nobody around, these 4 kids (~20 years old) came up to me, pulled out a massive knife and robbed me. All they got an old iphone, $7, my credit cards and a backpack. Luckily there was no physical harm done. I'm a pretty big guy and never expected to get robbed, especially in broad daylight. Be careful in Colombia and don't walk around by yourself in isolated areas. I got comfortable and got robbed.

Things could have been much worse though. I didn't bring my expensive camera and sunglasses. These punk ass kids only got a locked cell phone (I don't go outside with my good cell phone I use for work- I will now though since I'm only here for another few days), $7, a couple of credit cards and my backpack. The only useful things they got were $7 and a backpack. Irritating experience, but a good lesson to never get comfortable in Latin America. Medellin is not safe, but neither is any large city outside of Asia. Stay safe out there guys.
Yep, it's just part of living in Latin America. If you haven't been robbed or someone hasn't attempted to rob you, you just haven't been there long enough.
Pretty much. It's shitty that they robbed me, but it's definitely one of the best travel stories I have to date. The police gave me a ride back to my apartment after the incident (i had no money for a taxi and no phone for Uber). On the way back they stopped in this ghetto area to make an arrest. I saw about 6 cops carrying this woman out of her house in cuffs. She was screaming and had a bloody lip. The entire neighborhood was watching, the cops were laughing, and one of the cops said to me "welcome to Colombia!!" what a fucking crazy experience.
(06-01-2019, 08:44 PM)Khalidkcl Wrote: Man..  reading about how Bogota is so much more awesome than Medellin makes me regret my ticket lol.

I do have a stop over in Bogota before flying to medellin so I could just cancel the Medellin ticket and take a hit of about 240 dollars...

No need to worry about that. BOG-MDE is a cheap, quick flight within Colombia and there are a couple of low-cost airlines that cover that trip. Check out Viva Air for example.
I wouldn’t say that Bogota is so much more awesome than Medellin, there’s a reason why so many more foreigners go to the latter. I wouldn’t cancel that ticket.
Just go to Medellin, you will have fun.
Thanks guys. I'll just go ahead with Medellin as planned. I'll report my experience to this thread instead of creating the 100th Medellin data sheet lol.

The robbing thing is definitely crazy. I'm going to buy a cheap smart phone to use as a run around and leave my expensive one at home. Losing my phone and wallet would really fuck up my trip so gotta take precautions. I'm not going to be walking anyway.

I have also thought about car hire. So far most people are against car hire in Bogota but I haven't heard anything about Medellin?
Just use Uber in Medellin, it's easy and gives you pretty good rates.
(06-09-2019, 04:43 AM)mike Wrote: I've been in Colombia almost 5 months. Until today it's been safe, but I got robbed at knifepoint by 4 guys. I was walking alone in this park outside of Laureles (Cerro el Valador) when it was still light outside. There was nobody around, these 4 kids (~20 years old) came up to me, pulled out a massive knife and robbed me. All they got an old iphone, $7, my credit cards and a backpack. Luckily there was no physical harm done. I'm a pretty big guy and never expected to get robbed, especially in broad daylight. Be careful in Colombia and don't walk around by yourself in isolated areas. I got comfortable and got robbed.

Things could have been much worse though. I didn't bring my expensive camera and sunglasses. These punk ass kids only got a locked cell phone (I don't go outside with my good cell phone I use for work- I will now though since I'm only here for another few days), $7, a couple of credit cards and my backpack. The only useful things they got were $7 and a backpack. Irritating experience, but a good lesson to never get comfortable in Latin America. Medellin is not safe, but neither is any large city outside of Asia. Stay safe out there guys.

Damn, sorry you got robbed. Laureles is one of the "safer" areas in Medellin too. Though it was good you kept your losses to a minimum. When I went last year I brought my "beater" clothes, a burner phone and a decoy wallet with some pesos and an expired credit card. I also hid some extra pesos in my socks just in case.
Sorry to hear that got robbed dude but this should be a warning to others not to carry credit cards around unless you’re going directly to an ATM to withdraw cash then return home to ditch the cards and excess cash. I know some guys like to pay with cards but I recommend sticking to cash and only carrying limited amounts, never anymore than you’re willing to lose.
In hindsight it was a really dumb mistake on my part. The good thing is that I have travel insurance, so hopefully they'll pay me back for the stolen phone. I brought extra credit and debit cards, so luckily it's not a big deal with that. What concerns me is that they stole my drivers license. Not sure if they're smart enough to steal my identity, but maybe they'll sell my ID to somebody who is.

It wasn't in Laureles, it was in Parque Cerro el Valador about 10 minutes away. I also don't get the fake wallet thing. Before I left for Latin America I thought about doing that and I even brought a fake credit card, but I'm not going to walk outside everyday carrying 2 wallets and have bulky pockets. I've been here for almost 5 months, I think after 2-3 months of carrying 2 wallets and not getting robbed I'd eventually want to eliminate unnecessary bulk from my pockets. I think the best solution is to only carry cash, bring a credit card if you're certain you're going to use, and in that case only take Ubers.
Don't use cards and don't bring USD to convert either, I'd bring a bit of physical cash as a backup incase your cards stop working or they get stolen but if you try and exchange USD for COP they will fuck you over. Unless you are planning on making a big purchase or ball hard for the night there isn't much reason to carry more than say 300k COP, it goes a long way.

I was buying a hot dog at about midnight in Laureles, there was no one around except these sketchy guys who were being friendly to me and things felt a bit off so I waited till they were distracted and not paying attention to me and then I snuck away without them seeing where I went. If things feel off trust your instincts, they can save you from being rolled. I didn't leave the restaurant until I had a good opportunity because most likely they would have preferred to rob me on a dark deserted street than right at a restaurant.
(06-09-2019, 12:48 PM)Scotian Wrote: I wouldn’t say that Bogota is so much more awesome than Medellin, there’s a reason why so many more foreigners go to the latter. I wouldn’t cancel that ticket.

I wanna give Bogota another shot and stay a month there. I haven't been in ages, or just a few days, I feel the girls are a bit more classy and sophisticated there. Less creida than Medellin chicks
(06-10-2019, 06:38 PM)SC87 Wrote: Just use Uber in Medellin, it's easy and gives you pretty good rates.

PRO-tip: Don't use UBER in Barranquilla, there are like 7 uber drivers for the whole city. 

Install: INDriver : all the chicks, I met this week are using it. Works way better. you can haggle down on the price, and the drivers try to bid for you ride to get it.
I spent 1 month in Bogota and about 3 months in Medellin this trip, now I'm back in Bogota for 2 days.

Bogota has better food, there's more women (not that you can possibly run out of girls to meet in Medellin, but Bogota is just a larger city), people speak more English, and girls have been checking me out a lot more here than in Medellin. The weather is shitty, it's overly crowded, air pollution is terrible (but it's also bad in Medellin). The main benefits of being in Bogota is that food is much better, and it's easier to meet girls. There's a lot of 7's walking around. If you're focus is 100% on getting laid then go to Bogota. Nightlife is much better in Bogota. You can actually meet girls on the dancefloor, unlike in Medellin where most clubs are a bunch of tables and people sticking within their own groups.

In Medellin the upper tier of women is some of the best I've ever seen, but this hardly matters if you're not the type of guy who is able to pull 8's and 9's. No judgement.. it's pretty rare that I bang legitimate 8's. The city itself looks nicer than Bogota. The Aburra Valley is epic, it's kind of hard to believe there's a city built in that setting. The mountains in Bogota also look epic, but Medellin is surrounded by nature.
I get the feeling the gringo novelty factor has worn out considerably in Medellin. Perhaps that is less true of Bogota because of its size. I mean Madonna has a song out called Medellin ffs.
I didn't notice a strong gringo factor in Medellin, but keep in mind that girls will still find you exotic if you're a gringo. When I'm out on dates with Colombian girls they usually will compliment one of my distinctly gringo features. In Bogota I feel a much stronger gringo factor. At Gringo Tuesdays several older, fuckable chicas approached me. Not bad options to keep for 3am if you're okay with dumpster diving or just want a flag. Despite the name "Gringo Tuesdays" the party is mostly locals, and gets pretty packed, especially for a Tuesday night.

Armando Records (Bogota) is a good party on a Wednesday night. I've only been once, but they were played good techno music until 3a, and there were a lot of people there.

I dislike Bogota for long periods of time because of the air pollution, traffic, weather and general stress of the city. If you like crowded, big cities and mostly stay inside all day and go out at night, you'll probably love Bogota. It's also great for day game because of all the universities. Chapinero is a nice area, especially around Zona G. lots of good restaurants, cafes, and proximity to nightlife. Bogota is underrated. IMO Medellin lives up to the hype.
I think once you get into a circle in Medellin your experience totally changes, you will get into parties you've never even heard about and go to places outside of the normal areas and you will be seeing the top tier IG type girls en masse..... I'm not in that circle though.

A lot of guys on here rave about 2nd or 3rd tier cities but your Spanish ability needs to be higher.
A 29 year old American gringo was assassinated in Medellin today. Happened in the Belen neighborhood, which is typically not a rough neighborhood. They didn't steal anything from the guy, so it seems like it was a targeted hit, which is why I used assassinated.

https://www.elcolombiano.com/antioquia/s...FA10983226

Not sure exactly what the story is behind this, but pretty odd, even for Medellin. A reminder that it's still Colombia, still not the safest place in the world, so always be careful and, most importantly, don't do crazy shit to piss off locals or fuck them over.
@natas. Agree. Don't do crazy shit to piss off locals in Colombia. A taxi tried to fuck me over two weeks ago in Medellin. I started to challenge him. While I won't back down from something fist-to-fist, he pulled a knife, which wasn't what I had in mind. Managed to get away because we were both outside the car. But I learned my lesson. One stupid move can be disastrous in Colombia. So don't be stupid Smile