Traveling North America on a tight budget
(07-05-2019, 02:50 PM)mike Wrote: One of my criteria for choosing a place to stay would be that there are coffee shops or libraries where I can work. If the area is too remote and I cannot get internet I'd have to rule it out. 
Good tips for sure. Bozeman is on my radar, it looks awesome. I figure girls in these types of places are probably down to fuck a guy who lives out of his car? lols
The thing that you have to understand about the Mountain West is that, during the summer, all of the small towns near the big national parks swell with tourists. Some of those tourists might only be passing through, but others will stay a few days or a week.  An example would be that town Gardiner, MT. Wikipedia says its population is 875. I'd estimate that during the summer it plays more like a town of 4,000. It's full of hotels, restaurants, and pubs. Almost all of the businesses employ young foreigners on work exchange programs who want to experience the National Parks.  I went and bought a 12 pack in the Gardiner market and all of the checkout girls were Eastern European from Romania, Poland, Slovakia, etc. I saw the same thing when I went to Mt. Rushmore and Jackson, WY. I went into Wendy's in Jackson to use the internet and the entire restaurant staff was Polish girls about 20-23 years old. You could definitely swoop them if you're in town for a few weeks.  I'm sure their lives consist of working the days, going out in nature on their days off, then partying a little at night. I'd planned the trip to just spend a night or two in each place, but maybe next summer I'll settle on one place for a month.  

You don't necessarily need Starbucks. This is 2019 and almost every little restaurant or coffee shop is going to have internet that you can use. As shitty as it sounds on the surface, McDonald's is good for this. In the Mountain West, towns of 5,000-7,000 probably won't have a Starbucks, but they will have a McDonald's. The employees are going to be all white, not Mexican or Central American or black like in other parts of the country. They're also not going to be totally obese. I made it a habit of stopping in to McDonald's to get the $1 coffee and saw a lot of very decent 18 to 26ish year old white girls working in them. Lots of these towns have limited economic opportunities, so service sector jobs like McDonald's aren't that bad. These are small town people so they're in no hurry and you can chat with them while they're working. 

As for university or outdoor oriented towns in the west, I'd check out the following:
·        Whitefish, MT- Beautiful lake with swimming, boating, fishing. World class ski resort in the winter. Mountain biking. Nice little downtown with bars and breweries with higher quality clientele. Lots of young people working downtown. Close to Glacier NP. West Glacier is like Gardiner, MT and Jackson, WY- A lot of the workers are Europeans on exchange programs. Also, very close to Flathead Lake, which is one of the cleanest big lakes I’ve ever seen. Gorgeous. You could cheaper rent in Kalispell about 10 miles south, but it’s a little methed out.
·        Grand Junction, CO- Colorado’s “big city” on the western slope. Has a university, the Colorado River, wineries, and a nice downtown core. Very close to the Grand Mesa and three of so hours from 14,000 footers. About 2.5-4 hours down to the Ouray, Telluride, Silverton and Durango, which are other gems.
·        St. George, UT- Very Mormon but big enough that girls could be discreet. Dixie State University. Lots of Mormon hotties. Lower elevation desert climate, which means it’s very hot in the summer but spring and autumn are amazing. Close to Zion NP and hiking, biking, and skiing at Brian Head. Great outdoors city. Has an In-N-Out. A few hours from Vegas if you want a huge change of pace. 
·        Moscow, ID- University of Idaho. Beautiful rolling hills of pine forest broken by farms and ranches. Friendly people who haven’t been run over by California yet like what Coeur D’Alene is experiencing. Right across the border from Pullman, WA and the mega university of Wazzu.

(07-05-2019, 04:58 PM)Scotian Wrote: I drove through Montana last year and it was pretty nice, didn't really stop much as I was en route to eastern Canada but it seemed really nice. I did stay a night in Deadwood, SD and was blown away by the area, we stopped to check out Mount Rushmore (which was great) but I was really surprised by how lush and green the surrounding area is-lots of lakes, rivers, big hills, etc. At some point I'd like to return to the area, there's a lot of cool things to see and do like historical wild west sites and nearby Rapid City, SD seems like a pretty cool smaller city to check out.

Check out Wicked Campers, I see these crazy painted/converted vans and RVs all over British Columbia they look really cool, many of them are older Chevy Astros, so cheap vans but roomy enough to convert into something cool to take on the road: https://www.wickedcampers.ca/

The Black Hills are cool. They are culturally different from the rest of the Dakotas in that they weren't settled by majority Scandinavian/German settlers, which translates into the people being a little more open.  I have a buddy in college from college who grew up in Sturgis. I went over to visit him one summer and we spent a few days riding ATVs around the Hills. Spearfish is a cool tiny little town. It has Black Hills State University, which is a teacher's college and like 65% female enrollment. You can camp out there and explore Spearfish Canyon. Rapid City is quickly becoming an actual city. It might be time to get in there before it gets completely discovered fleeing Californians. It's also an easy jaunt up to Theodore Roosevelt National Park in Medora, ND. 

When I was camping on Flathead Lake in Montana, there were two German guys who had one of those Wicked Campers with BC plates. They had Scooby Doo one, and people were coming over to them to take pictures and chat. I'd imagine it'd be a very easy way to get noticed by chicks and get talking.
not north America but if you wanna try Europe I recommend oslo in Norway. you can camp for FREE. just don't camp in songvenn area as its the gay area and pedos are about as I unfortunately experienced.

this is the best place I found

https://www.visitoslo.com/en/accommodati...ene-island

not sure if theres mountains but theres a lot of nature and forests there. free wifi in many cafes in city centre.

only downside is food can be expensive and you have to take the ferry back and forth to the island which will cost about $94 a month.
(07-04-2019, 01:24 PM)mike Wrote: I'd feel like a huge tool spending $40/night on a campsite. At that price point you're better off getting a private room in an airbnb or a motel somewhere. I'll have to do more research and see which places have free campsites. My main objective here is to spend a lot of time rock climbing and have an adventure. You can't go to Yosemite and climb El Capitan unless you're climbing almost everyday for years.

I deleted my first post because I thought you wanted to live in your car....until I learned that you actually want to camp around.

Get one of those Ford transit vans or the Ecoline ones. The Ecoline has been around forever, it has a boxy shape and gives plenty of space. The trademen's version of it should have the passenger's seat with nothing else behind it. Look on CL or your local auction site and see if you can get a work van. They usually have shelves already installed so you can store your stuff and not have to deal with it. You can put a sleeping bag or twin mattress with a foam memory and it will feel like a real bed.
(09-15-2019, 07:08 PM)Tryhardpls Wrote: Hi Mike! From what I have read till now, I'm sure you'll have a great upcoming adventure. You should choose the RV over the car. With the car you'll spend less money on fuel, but how about comfort? It's a pretty long adventure, you need to be as comfortable as possible. Take into consideration that if you'll travel in a car, there's the possibility to pay for motels, which means more expenses.  Plus, if you have money to invest in an RV, you'll have it for many years to come. What I like the most about RVs is that they are highly customizable. You can buy a lot of accessories that will improve your comfort, just like your house. That's why they're called motorhomes. If to suggest some long-distance accessories for the RV, take a look at http://www.crowsurvival.com/rv-accessories/.

Could you sound any less natural while trying to promote your shitty website? Nobody here is going to buy an RV through your Amazon referral links.
doing a van conversion is also an option.
(09-17-2019, 12:53 PM)Cheeky_Chappy Wrote: doing a van conversion is also an option.

For sure. This is the route I'm planning to take. Living in a van seems like the best option. It also seems like the best possible logistics you can have for banging- even if you drive to her area you're covered. Tomorrow I'm going to check out some car dealerships and test drive a few vans. Still deciding if I'll get one new or used.
(09-19-2019, 12:57 AM)mike Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 12:53 PM)Cheeky_Chappy Wrote: doing a van conversion is also an option.

For sure. This is the route I'm planning to take. Living in a van seems like the best option. It also seems like the best possible logistics you can have for banging- even if you drive to her area you're covered. Tomorrow I'm going to check out some car dealerships and test drive a few vans. Still deciding if I'll get one new or used.

if you buy a new one it should come with a guarantee so if anything goes wrong it will get fixed but cost a lot more. most vans depreshiate in value the most in the first 2-5 years. 
if your gonna get a 2nd hand van I recommend paying a professional mechnicanic. in England we have the AA and the RAC. cost £199/$250. they do 127 point inspection on it. well worth it for peace of mind knowing your van/home is not gonna have problems/end up paying for repairs you don't know about along the line.

if your in England id check out the Citreon Relay. that's what tom torero drives.
many van ideas on instragram #vanlife

reading this at the mo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-live-van-tr...way&sr=8-1

also a lot of people you youtube have mistakes/regrets videos about there vans. id watch these so avoid there mistakes
e.g not having a shower. 
not having a toilet.
sink too small for the saucepans etc
not enough battery power
not enough air conditioning. van too hot or cold. e.g driving summer in mexico/south America or winter in Moscow, minsk etc
Tom Torero lives in his van?
(09-24-2019, 01:16 AM)churros Wrote: Tom Torero lives in his van?

yeah for the last 2 years I think. has an episode called black sheep bandit.