The Bitcoin Thread (price and other bitcoin related topics)
Just using the inflamatory term "shitcoin" was an invitation to discuss it, and correct your folly. Most of them are shitcoins to be fair. But if you think btc is remotely competitive on the privacy front with monero, you obviously are uneducated on the subject. Stick to pedantic weather forecasts.
(07-04-2019, 04:09 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: Just using the inflamatory term "shitcoin" was an invitation to discuss it, and correct your folly. Most of them are shitcoins to be fair. But if you think btc is remotely competitive on the privacy front with monero, you obviously are uneducated on the subject. Stick to pedantic weather forecasts.

Actually, part of the point of making a cursory dismissal off-topic points is that there is really no burden for me or anyone else posting in this thread to substantiate such points, because they are off topic, so if you want to go spout out all of the greatnesses of Monero then you should probably go to another thread for that.  

I will concede that I did open up the topic a little bit, by mentioning it, but surely any cursory dismissal seems to remain in order too.  In other words, to the extent that you believe that the topic of Monero is further on topic in this thread because in your view it is a kind of bitcoin killer in the privacy realm, then the burden is on you to provide evidence that includes facts and logic in support of your position rather than for me to provide evidence that it is not true.. in other words, my cursory dismissal seems quite appropriate in regards to any reference to off topic matter.
It wasn't a cursory dismissal. It was a declaration devoid of fact (ie..that altcoins like monero have zero advantages over btc). You don't seem to be aware for instance that it's become widely adopted on darknet markets. That wouldn't be happening if the coin didn't have notable advantages in privacy and anonymity.
(07-04-2019, 04:32 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: It wasn't a cursory dismissal. It was a declaration devoid of fact (ie..that altcoins like monero have zero advantages over btc). You don't seem to be aware for instance that it's become widely adopted on darknet markets. That wouldn't be happening if the coin didn't have notable advantages in privacy and anonymity.

Yes... by definition, a cursory dismissal can be devoid of fact, logic and/or persuasiveness, that is what makes such dismissal cursory.  And, yes, I am asserting that it is perfectly justified to cursorily dismiss subject matters that are NOT on topic.  And, yes, if some topic appears on its face to NOT be on topic, then it would be the burden of the person trying to claim that the off-topic matter is on topic.

In other on-topic news, I came across this article from a few days ago that was attempting to make a comparison between what was going on in bitcoin in 2017 to what is going on this year.  Some decently good points outlined in such article.

https://medium.com/coinmonks/bitcoins-bu...d239cd7256
Here's an interesting tweet from Anthony Pompliano, in which he is suggesting a 75% chance of $100k bitcoin by the end of 2021.. which I would view as overly optimistic, but still interesting to share.

https://twitter.com/APompliano/status/11...8279150592
Where are our bitcoin doom and gloomers?

Didn't we have a few of them hanging out here in recent times?  Where did they go?  hahahahaha.., Maybe they will be back at some later point when the BTC price seems to want to correct?  Perhaps?

Last couple of days have shown a couple of little step ups in bitcoin's price, and as I type, we have just come up to $12,260 from the lower $11,xxx from a couple of days ago, so perhaps we will be revisit some testing of resistance in the upper $13ks in the coming days?  or maybe we have another failed break up?

I am  not wedded to any outcome, but UP feels good, and surely no price movements are guaranteed in bitcoinlandia, but seems difficult to complain about the BTC price consolidation that we had been experiencing in the past few weeks between mid-$9ks and our current price and a BTC price that seems to want to meander towards the upside.... bullish?  inevitable BTC price correction down to $7k and  lower, is over?  

I am not saying that I know, but seems to be a whole hell of a lot more difficult to be spouting out bear scenarios in  these price dynamic conditions and still my mood tends towards a bit gleeful from the seeming ongoing upward BTC price pressures.
Pag has been banned.

So you've never "gambled" on a shit coin to potentially increase your BTC stack? The Binace IEO's did good.
Here's an interesting thread that shows the current prices of various crypto currencies in relationship (as a percentage) to their all time high prices.

Drops are quite dramatic, including current status, too.  In perusing the list there are some of the shitcoins that have decent recent performance, but the vast majority of those shitcoins are recent pumps, and likely have not quite yet experienced their likely inevitable fall, especially relative to bitcoin... not going to stop the wanna-get-rich-quickers from pumping their trash or naysaying upon bitcoin, though.

https://www.coingecko.com/en/coins/ath
(07-08-2019, 09:25 PM)SC87 Wrote: Pag has been banned.

So you've never "gambled" on a shit coin to potentially increase your BTC stack? The Binace IEO's did good.

When you say Pag, you are referring to that fucktwat, JayRothschild?  Yes, he seemed to have been espousing trolling and misinformation peddling.

I take it that you are asking me about shitcoins, right?

I hold a few shitcoins, but I hardly pay attention to any of them, and they constitute about 1% of my total crypto related holdings.

It becomes too distracting to get caught up in shitcoin discussions when 1) there is so much going on in bitcoin in terms of what bitcoin is actually offering (which is sound money), 2) discussing shitcoins tends to be a forum of trolling, spreading misinformation about bitcoin or attacking bitcoin and 3) there really is not much substance to the vast majority of shitcoins, especially when we are referring to what bitcoin is providing and then to try to figure out if there is some kind of meaningful distinguishing or important contribution that is being made by some shitcoin that either bitcoin does not already provide (or in development).

In this regard, bitcoin's central contribution to the space of decentralized, secure sound money remains something that largely only bitcoin is offering, including considerations of network effects being built around bitcoin. Surely, some shitcoins, ICOs or even the Binance IEO (variation) of ICO might offer value, and might even be related to bitcoin or the bitcoin ecosystem, so sometimes it could be important to discuss various contributions to the bitcoin echo-system and how various projects might be contributing or taking away from bitcoin, but pure pumping of some other project for the sake of it should probably go to some other thread... we don't need those distractions, here, its largely off topic, except for sporadically perhaps...

And, by the way, SC87, a mere suggestion that you can make more money by X, Y or Z or that it would have been a good way to make more bitcoins would not by itself cause a topic to suddenly become relevant, merely because arguably it would be a good investment because this is NOT the "how you can make a lot of money" thread, even if investing in bitcoin does seem to contribute to that outcome for a lot of guys.

Surely, anyone can make some short-term plays on various shitcoins and actually increase his bitcoin holdings if the timing is good or maybe there is some insider information and they don't get too caught up in the bullshit of the shitcoin with some inabilities to liquidate or other nonsense shenanigans that goes on with such distraction offers.  

For the most part, I think that in this thread it would be too much of a distraction to attempt to get into levels of shit that are offered by shitcoins or to attempt to compare and contrast levels of shitcoin offerings and some of what some of the shitcoins might be genuinely offering to the space that bitcoin might not be provided, and those kinds of topics would be better presented in some other thread rather than losing most of the focus and fun here.. which maybe making fun of some of the shitcoins, relative to bitcoin, should be part of that focus and fun, too... whether true or not.. at least it is topical, here, to focus on bitcoin.

By the way, I saw that there is at least one crypto thread on this forum (as you know, SC87, since you are the OP author of that thread) that is open to a variety of non-bitcoin topics, and I also saw an investment thread, and I suppose that various other crypto and/or bitcoin could be discussed in that thread too.  There is also a side-hustle thread that might be opportune for some of the ways for guys to make money whether through bitcoin, shitcoins or otherwise.
"Anybody who think 20% daily bull runs are unsustainable or even considers the merit of other cryptos is a doom & gloomer and/or shitcoil shill".

JJG logic at its finest.
(07-09-2019, 06:32 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: "Anybody who think 20% daily bull runs are unsustainable or even considers the merit of other cryptos is a doom & gloomer and/or shitcoil shill".

JJG logic at its finest.

Do you have a substantive point or potential contribution that is somehow related to the subject matter of this thread?

Or are you just butt hurt about something in reference to your "gut"?   Should be some jubilee for any guy invested in bitcoin, no?  Recent BTC performance, quite good, no?  Lindy effect in BTC good, no?  Your "gut" telling you something important about BTC, at the moment?

By the way, how about a link to the above quote?  Even though I supposedly made such quote, I neither know where it is nor the context... so would be fair for me and/or others to be able to verify the quote and the context, no?
Of course these Morgan Creek guys who are mentioned in the below article are somewhat invested into bitcoin, so we take their BTC predictions with a decent grain of salt... 

Punchline in this prediction is suggesting an upsurge in BTC price to $30k-ish before any kind of additional meaningful correction.  Not totally unreasonable, and surely optimistically bullish in BTC's short term.

https://www.ccn.com/news/parabolic-bitco...019/07/08/
Here's another interesting article about the recent increase in bitcoin's hashrate.

https://twitter.com/BinanceResearch/stat...4362226688

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FvpsBYRP.g...6hyZ5t52pw]

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2FcN5Tbjp%2FD-...m5eWGRd6SQ]

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2FYdm3cfL%2FD-...8eqXOeXjtw]
Here's a nice little tweet showing recent bullish BTC price predictions of notable folks in the bitcoin space.

https://twitter.com/ChartsBtc/status/114...8126648320

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FpdhWPGi.j...rfQsJtYw4A]
Nice little dip today for any of the guys waiting for a dip to buy (or add to the stash), but surely the no coiners or the ones  who say that they want to get into BTC and they are waiting for a dip tend to keep waiting because they would like the dip to be BIGGER and then if the dip becomes BIGGER, they become too scared to buy.  Go figure.
For those of us who use the currency as Satoshi envisioned, earning in it and spending in it, these movements are inconsequential. Though I suppose everybody can sign up for a google alert if they want to get OCD about it. Or read ^this guys posts.

But with the amount of time you spend regurgitating crypto matadors, I can't help think you'd be better off spending your time creating income streams, building assets,etc. And then throw it all into crypto if you want. Even that queer Pag knew that much.
(07-11-2019, 07:59 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: For those of us who use the currency as Satoshi envisioned, earning in it and spending in it, these movements are inconsequential.

You are using a nonsensical talking point and attempting to appeal to authority by trying to suggest that you are engaging in a superior conduct by earning and spending your bitcoin. Likely there is no superior method regarding bitcoin, because each guy should attempt to figure out for himself whether he is going to earn, spend, hoard or some combination that is suitable to him.

By the way, your attempt to suggest that you are engaging in superior activity seems to stem from your attempting to reframe the matter away from your earlier suggestion that bitcoin was giving you a "gut feeling"

But, hey, nothing wrong with attempting to not worry about BTC price, right?

Furthermore, I am not opposed to either earning or spending bitcoin, but if you do not really have any ways to earn bitcoin because an overwhelmingly vast majority of people, employers, venders or institutions are not likely to pay you in bitcoin, then you can also buy your own bitcoin with the amount of cash that you might earn or generate and would like to spare in the direction of bitcion. You don't necessarily need to wait in order to earn it or or to stave off accumulation of bitcoin because you have a preferred method of BTC accumulation whether that is 1% of your savings 10% of your savings or some other amount of BTC accumulation that is suitable to you.

Regarding spending, some governments remain somewhat hostile (including the USA) to spending, so there will be some accounting deterrents in the spending of BTC direction, too. There are also spending deterrents in the direction of Gresham's law, so frequently it would be better to spend less good money than to spend bitcoin, and I think that a lot of folks are coming around to realizing that they would prefer to spend their bitcoins last out of the various kinds of ways that they might spend.

(07-11-2019, 07:59 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: Though I suppose everybody can sign up for a google alert if they want to get OCD about it. Or read ^this guys posts.

When you say "this guy" you are referring to me.

In essence, you can read my posts or interact or not. That is up to you. I try to mostly provide information in this thread that tends to be bitcoin related and that I believe might be interesting to some guys, and it remains discretionary whether guys read it or not.

(07-11-2019, 07:59 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: But with the amount of time you spend regurgitating crypto matadors, I can't help think you'd be better off spending your time creating income streams, building assets,etc.

You likely do not know enough about me in order to know how I should be spending my time or what I am doing. Also, I frequently will provide information regarding some of my background and my activities, to the extent that that information might matter, overall. For example, I spent a lot of time in 2013 and 2014 to accumulate bitcoin, and then slowly my bitcoin practice moved to a kind of higher focus on maintenance. I am anticipating moving more towards liquidation in the future, but these practices in regards to my bitcoin are not totally exclusive because it is possible to do more than one at the same time, even though in the earlier years I had largely accumulated a decent amount that was comfortable for my situation.

Regarding my time, it remains my discretion about how I use my time and whether I consider my use of time to be helpful to myself, such as posting in this thread.

(07-11-2019, 07:59 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: And then throw it all into crypto if you want. Even that queer Pag knew that much.

You seem to be a bit distracted, SpecialEd, in your focusing on how I am using my time rather than appreciating that I am attempting to provide bitcoin information updates in this thread on a fairly regular basis. If you disagree with the attempted focus of this thread, then there are other threads on this forum or you could create your own thread, no?

By the way, there is also a decent amount of flexibility in the ways that guys might earn income, or if they have already created a nest egg, rely on passive income or a balancing of those various factors. Over my years, I have largely gathered a lot of my income and stash a decent amount of wealth, some of that in bitcoin and some in other assets, so in recent years, I don't spend a lot of time attempting to gather additional income from working because the value that I have accumulated is largely already working for me in various ways, and maybe from time to time I might shift around some of my assets. In the past year, I had also closed down a business that had ended up going in a direction that I felt was not really working for me. That business was causing me to engage in too much work that I had thought was going to be done by a partner and thereby relations with that partner had already gone in the wrong direction that was no longer working for me.

Some of the wrapping up of a business can take a substantial amount of time, and also currently, to the extent that you might be asking (or if it is even relevant) I am engaged in various measures to set some various matters in order, including a few personal projects, that will likely allow me to travel full-time. I am thinking starting the traveling part later in the year, but I have found that it can take a decent amount of time to set some personal matters in sufficient order to be able to have many matters on a kind of auto-pilot that is adequately reliable and would allow me to do many of the items that I might need to remotely.

Too many non-bitcoin details, as requested by SpecialEd. Tongue Tongue Tongue
2 paragraph post gets broken down into 4 points with multi paragraph commentary on each.

I cant be bothered to read all that but I respect your gift of gab.
Of course, facebook's proposed coin, Libra, has been getting a lot of attention in recent weeks, and there remain questions regarding the extent to which either attention around it or its release (assuming that such release happens) affects bitcoin's price dynamics.   Mainstream media frequently wants to find some kind of explanation for any bitcoin price movements, which is best considered with a decently sized grain of salt.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/11/bitcoin-...ments.html
wrong thread