Share your TRT experiences
Hey swoopers, any of you older guys taking testosterone replacement therapy (TRT)? I’m in my early 40s and for the last few years I’ve been feeling really run down. When I was younger I enjoyed going to the gym and doing martial arts. I hurt my shoulders and lower back a few times. Now I do bodyweight exercises, a lot of walking and taking the stairs multiple times per day at work in addition to my physical therapy.

Unfortunately I’m still a cubicle dweller so I try to find excuses to get up and move around. I also try to get enough sleep every night, meditate, and eat healthy. My primary care physician told me I was healthy after my physical and reviewing my bloodwork. I finally caved after feeling like crap even after a three day weekend.

I went to one of those national men’s clinics and redid my bloodwork. They had an additional panel for hormones and I found out my T-levels were in the low 300s. The doctor prescribed cypionate with aromatase inhibitors mixed in and HCG. He told me I should start seeing results in 4 to 6 weeks. I might have to donate blood depending on how I respond to the treatment.

For the guys that are currently on it, have you felt more focused? More energetic and motivated? There’s probably some finger waggers out there but no offense to you I’ve gone through all the natural methods.
Been on it for about 5 years.

More focused, no not really. More energetic/motivated, no, about the same as before.

Sex drive is way higher, all the time. Girls tell me that I am the most sexual guy they have ever dated.

Better muscle gains and fat loss. Muscle soreness is almost nonexistent, unless I haven't trained for a long time.

Moderate acne and oily skin is the only real side effect I've noticed. I'm on T only, well T and some SARMs at the moment but no HCG or AI.
There's no such thing as different but equal. 
-Dante Nero
^Hmm I've been thinking about hopping on for the enhanced motivation/energy (staying shredded year round would be a bonus) I keep hearing about. Some people make it almost sound to be a nootropic. But I guess the response to it is highly individual.
Just got my test results:

SHBG: 94.3 nmol/L
Testosterone: 25.9 nmol/L = 747 ng/dL
Free T (calc): .266 nmol/L = 7.66 ng/dL, 1%
Bioavail T (calc): 6.23 nmol/L = 180 ng/dL, 24% Estradiol (E2): 33 pg/mL = 3.3 ng/dL

Total T is high but offset by sky-high SHBG, so low free T. However, no symptoms of low T. There's a lot of debate as what exactly SBHG does. Why produce T only to lock some of it up immediately with SBHG? Why not just produce less T to begin with? Why lock T loosely to albumin? Yes, I know how to use Google. Problem is that scientists clearly don't fully understand and just throw out those phrases "T tightly bound to SBHG" and "T loosely bound to albumin" as a form of hand waving, to hide that they don't really understand the underlying cellular mechanisms.

Also, all those digits of precision in results are very misleading, since blood analysis machine and/or human operators probably can't even guarantee accuracy to within 10%. In other words, my actual total T might be 700 ng/dL or it might be 800, not 747 listed above.

I'm 58 years old, with lean but muscular tennis player physique, no lack of physical energy. Libido is fine when rental girlfriend shows up, as she does twice weekly while I'm in Ukraine, but not that interested in women any more. I'd rather be hiking alone in the mountains, at least once weather cools down. But I think that's just old age, not low T.

My total T was around 300 ng/dL a few years ago, but that was after a grueling bicycle tour in the early autumn of the high desert, facing headwinds and cold and hungry most of the time. I believe high testosterone results from a healthy, well-fed and well-rested body ready to go on the offense. When sick, stressed, starving, sleep-deprived, etc, I believe body lowers testosterone as a way of conserving resources. So instead of trying TRT, first thing I would advise is: get more and better sleep, eat properly, get rid of stress inducers (work, etc), cure any bodily illnesses.
According to the clomid thread on RVF, 10 mg of boron will reduce SHBG and improve free T

Have not tried yet
I take 1.5mg of Boron daily as part of my multivitamin. Last year, I additionally took 3mg Boron daily extra in a separate pill (so 4.5mg total) for about 5 months prior to my annual test. SBHG was 90.1 nmol/L then in 2018 versus 99.5 on 2017, but now in 2019 it's back to 94.3. Since Boron is a mineral, it should accumulate. So I doubt I'm deficient. I think that drop in 2018 was just a coincidence rather than due to the extra Boron then.

One bro science theory I've read is that the body doesn't really like being kept lean year-round, especially in older men, and wants me to put on a pot belly like all the other older men, and that's why SBHG is so high. Since I don't have any low T symptoms, other than not popping boners spontaneously like a 14yo, I'm not too worried. Definitely not worried enough to take Clomid, which has some side effects.

Also, as I discussed advice, I'm very skeptical of these glib explanations that SHBG "locks up" T, since it's clear to me that real scientists (much less bro scientists) have a very poor understanding of what's really going on at the cellular level.
Will low dosages make your testicles get smaller? I have thought about going on it. I am 40 now. But I want to have a kid in a year or two. I am talking about dosages like you would get from a hormone therapy doctor. Not juicing for massive body building gains. Just health, weight loss, energy and what not.

https://victorymenshealth.com/understand...adotropin/

Found my answer.

(06-23-2019, 10:57 PM)blackfriar Wrote: Will low dosages make your testicles get smaller? I have thought about going on it. I am 40 now. But I want to have a kid in a year or two. I am talking about dosages like you would get from a hormone therapy doctor. Not juicing for massive body building gains. Just health, weight loss, energy and what not.

Found my answer.

That was helpful indeed. Based on that article, it seems that adding HCG to the mix kind of levels out the (possible) negatives of TRT and minimizes risk for fertility problems. The only issue then I think is that HCG is much more expensive and harder to find? If anyone can clarify that aspect...
^ I feel no different on HCG. It keeps my sperm healthy.

With that being said, I cryo-froze healthy sperm prior to starting TRT years ago. So I don't use HCG. This means my sperm count is basically nil and I can blast inside chicks with no risk of pregnancy.
-Dante Nero
That victory Health clinic is near where I live. I made an appointment and pussed out. Because I read it kills your sperm count.
(06-25-2019, 01:14 AM)Checkmat Wrote: ^ I feel no different on HCG. It keeps my sperm healthy.

With that being said, I cryo-froze healthy sperm prior to starting TRT years ago. So I don't use HCG. This means my sperm count is basically nil and I can blast inside chicks with no risk of pregnancy.

Could you give an idea of the costs of freezing sperm? I'm not in the US and I think in Europe it will be more difficult to do this.
Re: freezing sperm. I don't want to be alarmist, but there have been numerous incidents over the years where doctors in charge of these sperm storage clinics substitute their own sperm for that of the actual clients. Indeed, this business seems to attract doctors with ambitions to spread their seed as widely as possible. Bing or other search engine for details of these incidents.
(06-25-2019, 08:41 AM)Rottenapple Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 01:14 AM)Checkmat Wrote: ^ I feel no different on HCG. It keeps my sperm healthy.

Could you give an idea of the costs of freezing sperm? I'm not in the US and I think in Europe it will be more difficult to do this.

I pay around $200/year.

One thing I'm worried about is how much it will cost to actually use the sperm to fertilize my future wife, if I ever get married again. Whatever, I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.
-Dante Nero
A lot of clinics include HCG and AI in their treatment plan depending on your exam results. At the very least get tested just for peace of mind.

I just finished my second week n side effects so far. I've noticed I am not as sluggish i the afternoon. I also notice more random boners through out the day.
How much is TRT treatment running you guys a month?
I did nearly three years of self administered testosterone, some legit pharmacy stuff in Colombia and also underground stuff I bought off of the internet in Canada. Then I decided to go legit, went off testosterone for almost 5 weeks then got a legit script from a biohormone clinic in Canada which my union benefits pay for. I went from 250 mgs/week to 100, I still feel good but not as big as I was on 250.

All in all it’s been good but I recommend really hitting gym hard, cleaning up your diet and limiting alcohol (best to quit altogether) to get the best results. It’s not a quick fix and if you half ass it as I did mostly, you won’t get the full benefit. Boners are great though!
Scotian don't take this question the wrong way, but what age did you feel your boners start to wane? I'm wondering when I need to hit up that TRT
I could still get hard without any problems but I wasn’t waking up with a pitched tent everyday like I did when I was younger, it was a gradual process though. Keep in mind that I’ve consumed an above average amount of booze, smokes and drugs than the average person since I was a teen so that shit was catching up to me. Looking back I should’ve cleaned up my act before starting TRT.
Here is a TedTalk about a husband and wife going on hormone therapy. I am going to get my T levels checked.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiDfZLJZTGU
(06-29-2019, 06:07 PM)Scotian Wrote: I did nearly three years of self administered testosterone, some legit pharmacy stuff in Colombia and also underground stuff I bought off of the internet in Canada. Then I decided to go legit, went off testosterone for almost 5 weeks then got a legit script from a biohormone clinic in Canada which my union benefits pay for. I went from 250 mgs/week to 100, I still feel good but not as big as I was on 250.

All in all it’s been good but I recommend really hitting gym hard, cleaning up your diet and limiting alcohol (best to quit altogether) to get the best results. It’s not a quick fix and if you half ass it as I did mostly, you won’t get the full benefit. Boners are great though!

Scotian, did you just used test or at some point mixed it with some anabolic steroid like deca durabolin or dianabol etc?

I started taking (just) Oxandrolone to help to cut out fat. But I still have testosterone and deca durabolin in the drawer...I am a bit affraid to gain a lot of weight, have a lot of liquid retention, and then become fatter after the cycle...