The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
(01-26-2021, 05:46 AM)Dash Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 08:25 PM)Contrarian Expatriate Wrote: I actively traded for many years and the although I actually finished ahead unlike most traders, the effort was not worth the payoff.   Far better to just swing trade the major indexes or buy and hold them.  You'll do MUCH better going that route.

Can you explain this a bit more?

What is the prep time needed to pick, make plays and close positions with swing trading indexes?

How much capital is needed to make a modest amount starting out?

What is the average amount made in one day?
One of the benefits of working in Europe was going home after work and actively trading until about midnight.  I did that for years and took modest profits when I could.  My tax preparer once remarked that I was his only client who had capital gains that particular bear market year.  

In retrospect, had I simply held my index funds instead of trading them periodically to lock in gains, I would likely be thrice as wealthy today.  

Keep in mind that there is the rule of 90 that applies to day trading.  90% of traders lose 90% of their money in the first 90 days.  That might be a slight exaggeration but it is accurate.  

As to your specific questions, all that depends on the individual.  I had a pretty well oiled machine involving a predetermined set of divided paying stocks to monitor and trade so it was simple for me. I did not place trades each day.  I only did to lock in gains of $100 or more. 

You won’t get rich day trading, quite the contrary.  But you will likely get rich over the long term by buying and holding S&P based index funds.  

To be clear, I no longer recommend active trading.  There is a learning curve which could wipe you out before you even get started.
Have you ever noticed it is your haters who obsessively read your every post, comment on them with the most emotion, and expend so much energy desperately trying to engage you?  It's because haters are your greatest, most loyal, and dedicated fans; they just have not come to terms with it yet.  Enjoy them because they are the surest sign that you're slaying it in life!  Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread - by Contrarian Expatriate - 01-26-2021, 06:16 AM