The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
(09-07-2020, 03:41 PM)Contrarian Expatriate Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 02:47 PM)WombRaider Wrote: I don't understand why anyone tries to time the market. If any one of us could predict a pullback, a crash, etc., then 100,000 Wall Street traders and analysts could also predict it. And they could do it much more accurately than we could, with their state-of-the-art models and software. And yet, they can't predict the market. Overall, index funds consistently outperform actively managed funds.

I say put your money in index funds and don't mess with it. You take a beating every now and then, but in the long run that doesn't matter.

In my particular case, it was more a natter of cashing in at records highs to move the brokerage money into real estate, and about moving a third of my IRA money to cash. I am with you on index funds, but this market was artificially inflated by the Federal Reserve as a lockdown measure so it is unsustainable, especially as we get closer to a chaotic Presidential election.  

One can never time the market perfectly, but one can take profits and mitigate losses in times of uncertainty.

I can see doing that in a case like yours, where you want to move the money into a whole other asset class like real estate. I only do stocks and I have a fairly long time horizon before I plan to withdraw any of the money, so I just try not to touch it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread - by WombRaider - 09-07-2020, 04:01 PM