The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
(09-07-2020, 02:47 PM)WombRaider Wrote: I don't understand why anyone tries to time the market. If any one of us could predict a pullback, a crash, etc., then 100,000 Wall Street traders and analysts could also predict it. And they could do it much more accurately than we could, with their state-of-the-art models and software. And yet, they can't predict the market. Overall, index funds consistently outperform actively managed funds.

I say put your money in index funds and don't mess with it. You take a beating every now and then, but in the long run that doesn't matter.

In my particular case, it was more a natter of cashing in at records highs to move the brokerage money into real estate, and about moving a third of my IRA money to cash. I am with you on index funds, but this market was artificially inflated by the Federal Reserve as a lockdown measure so it is unsustainable, especially as we get closer to a chaotic Presidential election.  

One can never time the market perfectly, but one can take profits and mitigate losses in times of uncertainty.
Have you ever noticed it is your haters who obsessively read your every post, comment on them with the most emotion, and expend so much energy desperately trying to engage you?  It's because haters are your greatest, most loyal, and dedicated fans; they just have not come to terms with it yet.  Enjoy them because they are the surest sign that you're slaying it in life!  Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread - by Contrarian Expatriate - 09-07-2020, 03:41 PM