The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
(04-30-2020, 04:23 PM)billydingdong Wrote: Sold off a major portion of my stocks yesterday with the S+P 500 reaching the mid-point of the 52 week price range. 

Incidentally, on April 29, 2019 the S+P reached 2,943, an all-time-high at that moment.

Yesterday, it closed at 2,939.

I'm baffled how the markets are staying even somewhat buoyant with the grim economic realities. Analysts say yesterday's market run-up (around 3%) was due to Fauci's announcement of an antiviral treatment called Remdesivir that had modest success in a clinical trial.

This pandemic has tested my risk tolerance and I decided to reduce my equities exposure.

Previously, I had 35% of my portfolio in a total US market equities index, but now I'm at 20%. Locked in some decent gains, and I plan to park it in short-term treasuries for awhile.

Hoping to buy a house in foreclosure in the coming year or so, but historically the downward correction on home prices is a lagging indicator and takes awhile to set in.
Good move.  You'll likely have plenty of opportunity to buy those shares back more cheaply in the coming months.
Have you ever noticed it is your haters who obsessively read your every post, comment on them with the most emotion, and expend so much energy desperately trying to engage you?  It's because haters are your greatest, most loyal, and dedicated fans; they just have not come to terms with it yet.  Enjoy them because they are the surest sign that you're slaying it in life!  Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread - by Contrarian Expatriate - 04-30-2020, 05:05 PM