The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
(03-23-2020, 12:09 PM)OldSojer Wrote: Here is another factor - a guy on CNBC, a money manager, was calling for the markets to be closed until the worst is over.   He mentioned 9/11 and some previous examples like WWI.

Question is, do you buy tech/growth, cyclical materials near the bottom of their cycle like miners and oil, or specifically beat down businesses like airlines and hotels?
I can't see markets being closed as an option, especially at this late juncture.  It would create a panic, a run on the banks, and a scramble for cash in a manner that very well could undermine the stay at home discipline.   Those calling for closing the markets have simply lost a lot of money and are trying to justify not losing anymore.

For my retirement account (which is the beast of my portfolio) I will not at all fool with individual stocks in this meltdown; I buy index funds and call it a day.  It will be three choices:  S&P 500 Index, Wilshire 4500 Index, or the Morgan Stanley EAFE Index.  I will likely go 45%, 45%, 10% respectively.

For my small brokerage account, they have gone down in excess of 50% already, but its proportion of my overall wealth portfolio was only about 10%.  I see it as my longer term opportunity to stick with my monthly dividend payers on a dollar cost averaging basis where reaping the dividends overtime will be a treasure trove.

I am truly excited and grateful for this fire sale the third year into my early retirement.  Just need to be patient and not rush the jump in.
Have you ever noticed it is your haters who obsessively read your every post, comment on them with the most emotion, and expend so much energy desperately trying to engage you?  It's because haters are your greatest, most loyal, and dedicated fans; they just have not come to terms with it yet.  Enjoy them because they are the surest sign that you're slaying it in life!  Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread - by Contrarian Expatriate - 03-23-2020, 01:38 PM