The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
(03-22-2020, 01:31 PM)OldSojer Wrote: Picking close to the bottom is the only problem....
And it is a very real one which is next to impossible to get right.  

My strategy to deal with this is to pick a percentage decline point from the highs on the S&P 500 (45% in my case.).  The S&P 500 is already down 32% so we have a 13% decline to go which is certainly reasonable in the next couple of weeks.

Once that index is at 45% down, I will put 50% of my holdings back in the markets and then dollar cost average the rest in over the next several months till I am back in full tilt.   Once I am back in 100%, the markets might still decline another 5 to 20%, but that will have been close enough to the bottom to make me a very happy man!

My biggest risk is if the S&P never reaches 45% down from its highs.  I think the likelihood of that is very low given the speed and depths of the declines in recent weeks but one can never be too sure.
Have you ever noticed it is your haters who obsessively read your every post, comment on them with the most emotion, and expend so much energy desperately trying to engage you?  It's because haters are your greatest, most loyal, and dedicated fans; they just have not come to terms with it yet.  Enjoy them because they are the surest sign that you're slaying it in life!  Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread - by Contrarian Expatriate - 03-23-2020, 02:08 AM