The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
Quote:I don't know about whether there is any necessity for "fun" in an investment portfolio, but there may be some ability to structure smaller amounts of an overall investment approach that involves some aspect of unknown, and learning along the way, which could be considered a kind of "fun" because truly guys are going to be more likely to pay attention to various assets by putting some value into some assets that interest them but they believe them to be either too risky or too unknown.

You kind of touched on the fun aspect at the end of your post by treating yourself to a new car. To each their own. I'm more of a travel guy.
As for learning I'm simple, I don't like tracking down the latest stock pointer or the new secret Gold hoarding site. I'll rotate investing in different asset classes about every month or two. 

As for bitcoin I still think you should have exposure to it. Could it hit 100K or 0 per coin? Beats me, don't mortgage the house with that particular asset. I agree with having a long term strategy with bitcoin. People like to day trade but I think it's a waste of time. Always remember to file your taxes properly, that's how the feds nab you. 

Quote:In my thinking credit and debt are much better used when thinking about investing rather than consumption.. nothing wrong with consumption, don't really want to be using credit/debt for those purposes unless merely just building credit/debt history and not incurring penalties, fees, interest... by managing those systems to your advantage.

Agreed. I picked this up from Samseau that if you owe money it's not the end of the world since inflation will eat the debt away. You're paying your debts off with devalued money. I like to apply for new 0% credit cards and keep repeating the cycle. This is just one way of gaming the system and others include buying in bulk and gaming your business credit card (I seriously need to get my ass on that project I've been thinking about!)

Quote:It seems that no matter which sites or "gurus" that you read, you can get helpful information, and surely living within your means remains a very powerful concept when put to practice. 

With FIRE themes like invest 10% of your check to a sunny day fund repeats itself. I haven't read everything under the sun but if I have to see another "learn to cook don't eat out" OR "ride the bus instead of own a car" blog post I'm leaving that site fast. Some of the smarter marketers like Wall Street Playboys have to sensationalize their posts otherwise people will go read another blog. 

One last parting shot, Millionaire Fastlane is a great mentality book. My problem is not executing, partly because I have my hands full nowadays. If you're a normie that thinks government is going to pay your 401K you're on the slow lane and by the time the riots start I'll be out of America.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread - by ChicagoFire - 02-06-2020, 09:04 PM