The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
(10-02-2019, 06:37 PM)Contrarian Expatriate Wrote: I only deal with dividend paying stocks that pay MONTHLY.  That way, if I have to hold a stock for weeks and months, I still get paid continuously.  There are many times that I have a capital loss, but accumulated dividends enable me to cash out with more than I invested.

Dividend vs. Total Return is a feud that will never die, but I think it goes back to that old saying about "if experts can't agree, it's because it doesn't really matter". Dividend payers, historically, are a little bit more resilient to downturns, probably because they tend to be in more conservative industries. I have a bucket I use as a sort of "super savings" that's about 80/20 bonds/equities, and the equities are focused on qualified dividends for that reason. The tax drag is a little bit of a hit but not nearly as much as if I found some other way to generate that income at full personal income tax rates.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread - by Jetset - 10-02-2019, 09:06 PM