The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
(10-01-2019, 07:23 PM)Stretch Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 12:10 PM)Contrarian Expatriate Wrote: Day trading is a fool's game as you point out, but SWING trading has been a good way for me to shave off profits after holding weeks and months.  Take profits and buy back when the price goes back down.

I would like to hear more about your SWING trading method. Well I did try something like it before, such as find an uptrending stock and try to buy the dips and sell into strength. But in reality after buying then the uptrending stock immediately stopped uptrending and kept going down. Well that has been my luck anyway. I would like to hear your insights.

I also employ a kind of swing trading method, and personally, I believe that such method works best if the underlying asset has a tendency to go up in value in the long run, which is surely not guaranteed.  So either you have to continue to hold through such negative periods and continue to buy (with the presumption that the asset is going to continue to go up), or you have picked a lemon of an asset, which you might not realize that you picked a lemon until several years of continued downward price movement that never ends up recovering.

In other words, a swing trading method is not likely to work very well if either the underlying asset is not fundamentally strong and tending to go up or if you end up getting out of the asset too early (or fail to continue to buy) when the asset ends up going up in price at a date that is much later down the road and longer than you had anticipated for such recovery.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread - by JayJuanGee - 10-01-2019, 09:57 PM