The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
(09-26-2019, 09:57 PM)ChicagoFire Wrote: Best investment is yourself. Invest in good food, safe neighborhood, get a library card, etc.

I can admit one of the worst investments I made was peer to peer lending (prosper). Highest return I hit was about 5%. When I checked my account today the return was at 2%. Yeah....inflation is killing my gains.

This is my investment strategy:
* Dollar cost average into the market.
* Have some exposure in risky assets like crypto. Not arguing with anybody but I frankly think crypto is a libertarian's wet dream. I'm still trying to sell my assets while minimizing my tax gains. Samseau persuaded me to buy monero and I wonder how that coin is doing since I don't have as much time to look into crypto.
* Have exposure to real estate through fundrise and gold through goldmoney. Both are time tested assets.  
* Sock away 10% of your paycheck into investments.
* If there really is recession I'll be buying up whatever is dipping.
* No day trading as I'm not smart enough to outsmart the market.
* No 401Ks or pensions, never understood the whole work for a company for 20 years with matching only to enjoy the money when you're too old to do it. Today, tomorrow, and yesterday were great days to work on your own business. Everybody has 1 hour to spare to work on their project.
* Have fun! Life is too short to worry about economic doomsday. Just don't be caught with your pants down.
* Do this for 20 years.

In process: Research putting money in offshore accounts.

That's what I do and obviously open to refining my method.

I like your overall strategy.  Some things to consider:

Since there is major dispute regarding whether lump sum investing is better than dollar cost averaging,  consider doing both by lump summing half and averaging in the second half.

Your Fundrise and Goldmoney recommendations are on point, however I am not as high on Goldmoney because they charge 3% of your investment at purchase time.  That is too steep in my estimation, but the service they provide is a good one.

Day trading is a fool's game as you point out, but SWING trading has been a good way for me to shave off profits after holding weeks and months.  Take profits and buy back when the price goes back down.

You are correct about 401k's so long as your employer does not provide matching for your contributions.  Forgoing matching contributions would be forgoing free money.

But you clearly have a sophisticated understanding of asset allocation and you could very well eclipse my own investing performance.
Have you ever noticed it is your haters who obsessively read your every post, comment on them with the most emotion, and expend so much energy desperately trying to engage you?  It's because haters are your greatest, most loyal, and dedicated fans; they just have not come to terms with it yet.  Enjoy them because they are the surest sign that you're slaying it in life!  Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread - by Contrarian Expatriate - 09-27-2019, 12:10 PM