The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
(08-07-2019, 07:52 PM)billydingdong Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 12:18 AM)JayJuanGee Wrote: Your strategy and your diversification seems decent, and maybe I am a bit more cocky on the inside because the last week has been good for me.  I mean the stock market went down 7% or 8%, but my BTC holdings went up a bit more than double that amount.  

Where is your crypto (ETH assertedly from another of your posts) in your overall holdings, billydingdong?  Is ETH/Crypto less than 1% of your total holdings or is considered to be part of your cash allocation?

As of now, my variable portfolio is about 3% of my total invested assets. I'm at a point where I have too much to lose and crypto is far too speculative for me at this point to give it a greater allocation. No way in hell I'd go 50% crypto in my portfolio, I don't have the stomach for that kind of volatility! Funny now that I have something to lose, my risk tolerance is a lot less these days.

I differentiate my variable portfolio (all crypto at this point) from my permanent portfolio (listed above). I've had a lot of good luck with trades in the past, but it's been just that -- luck.

Fair enough.  Since I had estimated that maybe you were only in the 1% territory, it is interesting to hear that you are a bit more than I had expected with your about 3%.  Of course, depending at what stage of your investments are, you may be in a very accumulation stage or get into what is feeling more like a maintenance stage.

Like I mentioned with my a bit more than 50% allocation into bitcoin, that came almost completely through BTC price appreciation rather than purposeful investment, and I provided my reasons for choosing not to reallocate, which largely remains that the totality of my non-bitcoin investments have largely been appreciating in approximately a range of performance that I have expected since I started into bitcoin in 2013, so therefore, and incidental reallocation that I have done has been largely just playing around rather than making any kind of significant dent... and really I could completely live decently off of the totality of my non-bitcoin investments and any kind of income that is generated through them, so therefor my bitcoin investment remains a kind of icing on the cake with my own developed strategies within to play around with it in terms of selling small amount of it as the price goes up and using that money to buy back as the price goes down, so that seems to have become a sufficient amount of feelings of downside insurance for me, even when we did this most recent 85% price correction from $19,666 to $3,122, I still felt that I had enough ongoing cushion to HODL down to $1k or even lower, and to keep buying in small increments on the way down, if that would have happened..  

I have suggested several times that I believe that a 1% to 10% investment in bitcoin would be a good and prudent move for any guy, and of course, even if guys agree with the conclusion to invest 1% to 10% in bitcoin, guys are likely going to want to come to differing conclusions with the prudence of in that range, too, and also second-guessing about whether they believe that there is something "better than" bitcoin, and surely I would not recommend anything more than 1% in any crypto other than bitcoin, such as what you seem to have 3% in ethereum, which is surely beyond anything that I would recommend.. but also surely within your discretion what to do and how to do it.

Of course, if any guy feels that he either has some specialized knowledge or some willingness to watch some non-bitcoin portion of his crypto investment closely, then the guy also has the discretion to do whatever he wants in terms of his allocations of value in non-bitcoin cryptos.

By the way, I do anticipate keeping some kind of plan in bitcoin for at least 5 years, and of course, I am not exempt from either changing my mind or whatever, because surely I am not locked in, even if I have an already existing plan for decently long term of largely keeping the essence of my same plan that has been working pretty well and seems to have decent odds of continuing to work.

(08-07-2019, 08:23 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 07:52 PM)billydingdong Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 12:18 AM)JayJuanGee Wrote: Your strategy and your diversification seems decent, and maybe I am a bit more cocky on the inside because the last week has been good for me.  I mean the stock market went down 7% or 8%, but my BTC holdings went up a bit more than double that amount.  

Where is your crypto (ETH assertedly from another of your posts) in your overall holdings, billydingdong?  Is ETH/Crypto less than 1% of your total holdings or is considered to be part of your cash allocation?

As of now, my variable portfolio is about 3% of my total invested assets. I'm at a point where I have too much to lose and crypto is far too speculative for me at this point to give it a greater allocation. No way in hell I'd go 50% crypto in my portfolio, I don't have the stomach for that kind of volatility! Funny now that I have something to lose, my risk tolerance is a lot less these days.

I differentiate my variable portfolio (all crypto at this point) from my permanent portfolio (listed above). I've had a lot of good luck with trades in the past, but it's been just that -- luck.

Fair enough.  Since I had estimated that maybe you were only in the 1% territory, it is interesting to hear that you are a bit more than I had expected with your about 3%.  Of course, depending at what stage of your investments are, you may be in a very accumulation stage or get into what is feeling more like a maintenance stage.

Like I mentioned with my a bit more than 50% allocation into bitcoin, that came almost completely through BTC price appreciation rather than purposeful investment (my  purposeful investment ended up becoming about 14% by the end of 2015 rather than my original intention to invest 10% into bitcoin), and I provided my reasons for choosing not to reallocate, which largely remains that the totality of my non-bitcoin investments have largely been appreciating in approximately a range of performance that I have expected since I started into bitcoin in 2013, so therefore, and incidental reallocation that I have done has been largely just playing around rather than making any kind of significant dent... and really I could completely live decently off of the totality of my non-bitcoin investments and any kind of income that is generated through them, so therefor my bitcoin investment remains a kind of icing on the cake with my own developed strategies within to play around with it in terms of selling small amount of it as the price goes up and using that money to buy back as the price goes down, so that seems to have become a sufficient amount of feelings of downside insurance for me, even when we did this most recent 85% price correction from $19,666 to $3,122, I still felt that I had enough ongoing cushion to HODL down to $1k or even lower, and to keep buying in small increments on the way down, if that would have happened..  

I have suggested several times that I believe that a 1% to 10% investment in bitcoin would be a good and prudent move for any guy, and of course, even if guys agree with the conclusion to invest 1% to 10% in bitcoin, guys are likely going to want to come to differing conclusions with the prudence of in that range, too, and also second-guessing about whether they believe that there is something "better than" bitcoin, and surely I would not recommend anything more than 1% in any crypto other than bitcoin, such as what you seem to have 3% in ethereum, which is surely beyond anything that I would recommend.. but also surely within your discretion what to do and how to do it.

Of course, if any guy feels that he either has some specialized knowledge or some willingness to watch some non-bitcoin portion of his crypto investment closely, then the guy also has the discretion to do whatever he wants in terms of his allocations of value in non-bitcoin cryptos.

By the way, I do anticipate keeping some kind of plan in bitcoin for at least 5 years, and of course, I am not exempt from either changing my mind or whatever, because surely I am not locked in, even if I have an already existing plan for decently long term of largely keeping the essence of my same plan that has been working pretty well and seems to have decent odds of continuing to work.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread - by JayJuanGee - 08-07-2019, 08:23 PM