The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
JayJuanGee Wrote:You don't need to agree with me. I don't care. There are a decent amount of people who do agree with me, but why would it matter very much? I made my points already, but you want to dwell on the points that I have not made or that I fail or refuse to make.

My response in the Crypto Thread:
https://www.swooptheworld.com/forum/show...7#pid13587

---------------

Getting back on topic..

As to personal investment, I won't go into too many details but I have my portfolio divided into a (1) permanent portfolio (long-term and stable) and (2) variable portfolio (hunches and speculation).

I got this idea from Harry Browne's book Fail-safe Investing.

The permanent portfolio has an asset allocation of:
  • total US stock market index
  • long-term US treasuries
  • gold,
  • REITs index (very small allocation)
  • cash (t-bill etf) 
It's the primary basis of my wealth, and it's my disciplined approach that has low historic volatility and a decent return profile. It also is a sort of guard-rail so that I don't do anything erratic the next time the stock market loses a 1/3 of its value. I hope to talk more about this in another post.

The variable portfolio is stocks + other investments I want to wager on or trade. Crypto makes up a large portion of my variable portfolio, and most of the crypto is in  ETH, but also some Litecoin, Monero, and Zcash. Keep in mind that I see crypto as speculative at this point - it's an emerging asset class and it's not clear at all to me who the long-term winners and losers are going to be. I also have/had data center REITs, senior housing REITS, mortgage REITs, emerging market ETFs, tech stocks, etc.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread - by billydingdong - 07-22-2019, 02:57 AM