The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread
(02-02-2021, 07:46 PM)Blake2 Wrote: Under $100 now

It will go below $30 by Spring. Probably get there in a month or less in reality. Classic short squeeze mixed in with worldwide Euphoria and the outcome will be destruction to the share price as amateur traders sell out for a loss and quite frankly lose most everything they put into it. This type of thing always ends in tears.

I'm quite happy to see this shit get destroyed. Never deserved to be where it was let only where it is now.  I'm quite confident you'll never see that short squeeze circus show again for a long, long time. 

Silver short squeeze ...LMAO!!!!  "there's a sucker born every minute." 
It's crazy how Robinhood and other platforms restricted people from buying, or at least limited the amount of GME and AMC shares they could buy but they allowed selling.
(02-03-2021, 01:37 AM)SC87 Wrote: It's crazy how Robinhood and other platforms restricted people from buying, or at least limited the amount of GME and AMC shares they could buy but they allowed selling.

Hedge funds pay Robinhood for their data. This is Robinhoods ONLY revenue stream not the traders. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. They had to restrict.
(02-02-2021, 08:29 PM)akms76 Wrote: I'm quite happy to see this shit get destroyed. Never deserved to be where it was let only where it is now.  I'm quite confident you'll never see that short squeeze circus show again for a long, long time.

Pretty Jewish to be honest.

Despite the dip today GME still feels bullish. This thing has taken off on sentiment alone and that seems stronger than ever. Feels like the deflation is all artificial. Who the fuck knows though.
As I understand, other brokerages like Fidelity allowed trading on stocks like GME, so not sure I buy (hehe) Robinhood's excuse.
If you haven't met anyone, I'll assume you're lying (h/t to Teedub from the old forum)
My response to the old "why you losers trash the West?"
Trading platforms shouldn't be able to restrict buying or selling.
(02-03-2021, 07:28 PM)SC87 Wrote: Trading platforms shouldn't be able to restrict buying or selling.

As someone who was an active day trader, I can tell you they all do periodically for legitimate reasons. They place restrictions on the numbers of trades in and out of certain stocks in one day, they restrict trades using yet to settle funds in your account (freeriding), and they often have restrictions on trading penny stocks.

But I agree that a short squeeze should not be one of those reasons.
Have you ever noticed it is your haters who obsessively read your every post, comment on them with the most emotion, and expend so much energy desperately trying to engage you?  It's because haters are your greatest, most loyal, and dedicated fans; they just have not come to terms with it yet.  Enjoy them because they are the surest sign that you're slaying it in life!  Big Grin
(02-03-2021, 10:02 PM)Contrarian Expatriate Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 07:28 PM)SC87 Wrote: Trading platforms shouldn't be able to restrict buying or selling.

As someone who was an active day trader, I can tell you they all do periodically for legitimate reasons.  They place restrictions on the numbers of trades in and out of certain stocks in one day, they restrict trades using yet to settle funds in your account (freeriding), and they often have restrictions on trading penny stocks.

But I agree that a short squeeze should not be one of those reasons.

GME might get to my target below $30 much much sooner than I anticipated.  Classic bubble pop as well as a pump and dump by the media. 

The way bubbles work, usually it goes below the price it all started. Considering it all begin the beginning of the year, in the high teens, that's actually the place it will probably go to flush out all the amateur traders. They must lose most everything before it finds a bottom http://schrts.co/GSDXXCSC
(02-03-2021, 01:37 AM)SC87 Wrote: It's crazy how Robinhood and other platforms restricted people from buying, or at least limited the amount of GME and AMC shares they could buy but they allowed selling.

But muh free market!  Smile
hello guys what do you think is best thing to invest now in 2021?
(02-05-2021, 07:37 AM)¢OoL€€ Wrote: hello guys what do you think is best thing to invest now in 2021?

eth
(02-04-2021, 08:18 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote:

But muh free market!  Smile

Politics post

I also already mentioned some brokerages like Fidelity didn't restrict
If you haven't met anyone, I'll assume you're lying (h/t to Teedub from the old forum)
My response to the old "why you losers trash the West?"
(02-05-2021, 07:37 AM)¢OoL€€ Wrote: hello guys what do you think is best thing to invest now in 2021?

Real estate is almost always the best route to riches.  

If we are just talking about stocks, a Wilshire 5000 index fund, or an S&P 500 index fund.  But keep in mind that we are at record high levels so a pullback is overdue.
Have you ever noticed it is your haters who obsessively read your every post, comment on them with the most emotion, and expend so much energy desperately trying to engage you?  It's because haters are your greatest, most loyal, and dedicated fans; they just have not come to terms with it yet.  Enjoy them because they are the surest sign that you're slaying it in life!  Big Grin
@CE, I see that your flag says Georgia. Is that a place that you have real-estate in?

I am asking since Tbilisi might be a place I'd see myself living in since it has a good structure for tax and setting up a business for online entrepreneurs.
Also the real estate (and everything else) seems to be extremely affordable.
(02-05-2021, 02:19 PM)Scythianchad Wrote:

eth

I'm going to second this. For risk/reward ratio ETH is easily the best you can do right now as far as I'm aware of.

First off, it has a major tailwind in an overall crypto bull run. A good number investors are of course looking to get rich in a bubble, but many others are also warming to crypto as an asset class due to national currencies losing value due to inflationary monetary policies.

Since cryptocurrencies are decentralized and since the networks are showing over time to be cryptographically and operationally reliable, many are considering crypto as a potential store of value for warding off inflation since the policy for minting new coins is algorithmic and transparent.

ETH is the second largest cryptocurrency by market cap so it stands to benefit by just being one of the prominent assets in an asset class coming into favor.

Second, ETH is not yet a household name like bitcoin, however it is generating higher transaction fees and ,more importantly, Ethereum currently settles more transaction value on chain.  These two data points indicate that the Ethereum network is already more valuable than bitcoin or any other crypto asset, yet the market cap of ETH still lags behind. To me, that looks like an opportunity.

Third, there is a comically larger quantity of devs, projects, and enterprise integrations in the Ethereum network than any other. This has led to a nascent, flourishing ecosystem of domain-related decentralized applications from decentralized finance to the creation of non fungible tokens and their decentralized marketplaces. ETH is the one common currency and collateral in nearly all of these projects.

Fourth, there are several supply 'black holes' that are locking up large quantities of ETH. The first of these is ETH locked up in staking (where miners deposit 32 eth as collateral to run a node and earn rewards for securing the network). The second major 'black hole' is ETH getting locked in various DeFi protocols as collateral. The last one is long-term institutional buying such as the Grayscale Trust.

Fifth, Ethereum might eventually become net deflationary . How could this happen? Basically, Ethereum is going to implement an improvement proposal to burn the transaction fees. That means that if transaction volume is high enough then more ETH could get burned than what the protocol pays to the miners for securing the network in creating new blocks. This would make ETHs monetary policy superior to even Bitcoin, not to mention more secure. The fee burn proposal is set to go in effect later this year and is reported to be working fine so far in test nets.

Ethereum still faces scaling hurdles and it's not guaranteed the transition to Ethereum 2.0 entirely succeeds. Much has already been done to improve scaling and prior major network upgrades have been implemented without a hitch. Still, these risks are material must be acknowledged.

There is also the possibility that another smart contract platform surpassses Ethereum or that institutional money for some reason continues to favor bitcoin since it's  'easier to understand'.

In my view those risks are easily worth accepting when I consider Ethereum and ETHs current unrecognized value and vast potential as existing projects continue to flourish, more projects get built on top of it, and more individuals get informed and pulled in.
(02-05-2021, 04:21 PM)Kentemo Wrote: @CE, I see that your flag says Georgia. Is that a place that you have real-estate in?

I am asking since Tbilisi might be a place I'd see myself living in since it has a good structure for tax and setting up a business for online entrepreneurs.
Also the real estate (and everything else) seems to be extremely affordable.
I am a legal resident of Georgia now, though I have not been back since the pandemic hit.

To answer your question, I do not agree with purchasing real estate overseas.  There are too many variables that can bite you badly.  Several years ago, foreigners were losing their properties in Georgia for unpaid property taxes.  It was thru pure ignorance on their part, but the process of finding out your tax liability was laborious and counterintuitive at the time.   Georgia is not unique in this however.  There are property regulations and laws that barely resemble those of our home countries and local legal traditions in countries like Georgia leave little recourse when you get ripped off with liens, title challenges, or undisclosed defects in the property.  In short, don't do it.  

Buy investment properties in your home country.  Then rent out your residence abroad.  You'll thank me later.  

Other than that, there is a lot to like about Tbilisi as a place to live.  It has changed rapidly (not for the better) since a bunch of Arab, Persian, and African migrants began arriving en masse, but it is still a decent place that has become slightly less hospitable over the years.
Treasury yields going up, we seem to be in a bearish trend in a bull market.
Playing GME today exactly how I played it last time, waited for the dump at open, set a limit buy at $100 but it didn't hit, I bought at $119 and took some profits at 45% gains and still deciding if I hold the rest for tomorrow. AH is probably going to be insane most likely.
Also holding my spxs I got at the start of the week.
Edit: set a trailing stop loss and it hit for the rest of it. I don't care what happens tomorrow I made my money.

Semiconductors are taking a hit because of the shortage and the market right now, but long term I'm very bullish on semiconductors. A very risky play once we find more stability is SOXL which is a 3x leveraged semiconductor etf, holding leveraged etfs for the long term is usually a bad idea but if you time it right you could have significant returns.
There's some talk of inflation, does anyone have tips or recommendations for getting into silver / gold?
^ You can buy PSLV if you want a silver etf, for miners I like AG . I wouldn't invest too much into commodities though unless it's a short term play, if high inflation hits then that will just be reflected in equities too.
Some people will recommend physical but you instantly lose value on the ask/bid and don't have liquidity, good for doomsday scenarios I guess?
(03-07-2021, 01:06 AM)churros Wrote: There's some talk of inflation, does anyone have tips or recommendations for getting into silver / gold?

If you want actual gold, I can't help you there, but if what you're after is gold price exposure, the SGOL and IAU etf's are your best bet. Full disclosure, I hold both

I believe SGOL has a lower expense ratio while IAU has higher trading volume. 

I don't hold a silver etf, but it looks like BlackRock and Aberdeen, the companies that sponsor those gold etf's, also have silver trust etf's: SLV and SIVR