Ice Baths + Sauna thread
I have been doing icebaths and sauna afterwards with a crew of cool dudes here in Medellin for last 2 months. 

Looked into Win Hoff stuff and must say there is something to it. The way you feel after 20 minutes in ice water and then reheated in the sauna is next level. You feel reborn. 

So far I haven't noticed any long term effects however but I did not stick to breathing exercises long enough. 

Would love to start conversation on the topic and see what you guys think on that. Any personal records? Any observations? Tips and tricks?
Big fan of Wim Hof here. But there's only so many hours in the day, or rather only so much motivation, since it's not like I'm doing that much all day, and so I only implement a few of his ideas:

1) Never, ever use hot water when showering. So I automatically get some cold water therapy each winter.

2) Eat once a day (or all eating in 4 hour interval when hiking and so needing to eat lots of food), so intermittent fast daily.

3) Water fast whenever taking long bus/plane trips, since too boring to water fast otherwise. Tomorrow, for example, I'll take the bus to Barcelona, then Tuesday fly to Kyiv. Finished eating today (Sunday) at 1pm and won't eat again until Wednesday at like 10am, so 69 hours between meals, and maybe 60 hours in fasted state, since it takes a while for today's meal to digest. Fasts like this several times a year.

4) 3 rounds of Wim Hof breathing each morning: https://therenegadepharmacist.com/what-h...of-method/
(05-26-2019, 12:23 PM)VinnyIGCasanova Wrote: I have been doing icebaths and sauna afterwards with a crew of cool dudes here in Medellin for last 2 months. 

Looked into Win Hoff stuff and must say there is something to it. The way you feel after 20 minutes in ice water and then reheated in the sauna is next level. You feel reborn. 

So far I haven't noticed any long term effects however but I did not stick to breathing exercises long enough. 

Would love to start conversation on the topic and see what you guys think on that. Any personal records? Any observations? Tips and tricks?

I currently do about an hour of sauna a day and two hours on weekends. I have been doing this for two years and have found it absolutely transformational. I sauna, then do circuit training, lift some, some bodyweight stuff, stairmaster, then sauna again.

A few years ago I was in the south of Spain where the water is really cold and would swim out to an island in the freezing Atlantic water (in the Mediterranean but freshly cold from the Atlantic). It was the most invigorating thing I have ever done. Hike down to the beach, swim in the cold water, then hike back up to where I was staying. When I came back to the US I started doing cold water swimming in a local lake. However, after one winter I never really got back to it.

A cryotherapy place just opened about a mile from my house and I'm planning on doing that about once a week to work on some injuries and other chronic health issues, longevity, etc.
(05-26-2019, 12:23 PM)VinnyIGCasanova Wrote: I have been doing icebaths and sauna afterwards with a crew of cool dudes here in Medellin for last 2 months. 

Where have you been doing this in Medellin? 

I've looked for a sauna place as well but didn't find much good. 

My apartment got a steam room, though, but those don't tend to get hot enough to reap all the benefits.
(05-26-2019, 04:07 PM)shemp Wrote: 4) 3 rounds of Wim Hof breathing each morning: https://therenegadepharmacist.com/what-h...of-method/

Wim Hof breathing seems like hard work to me. For example I can do close to 20mins in icebath without any need for breathing. 

But what I find is if I do 1 session, 40 breaths or so, just before meditating it helps me clear my mind and get into meditative state.

BTW did ice baths yesterday, there is a group of guys here in Medellin that meetup every Sunday for ice baths, and first Sunday of the month ice baths in the nature during the BBQ even I organize if anyone is in Medellin DM and I will add you to the group.
You may want to check out the research with regard to blood flow, inflammation, recuperation, and releasing of endorphins. There are things related to various sports, weight lifting (more with the restriction of blood flow) and general health. Nordic countries pioneered some of this many decades ago using the snow to sauna method.

It is used in one sport specifically after a tough lactate set, a maximum repetition or in between events in a competition. It can range from low tech to higher tech (including cryo-therapy). For example for high level competitors in Venezuela are using an old bathtub frame filled with water and ice and two athletes can use it at the same time (facing opposite directions). In Paraguay they are using large blue plastic 55 gallon barrels filled with water and ice. In Brazil they have a machine where the athletes basically have their bodies cooled. At international competitions, various teams have small inflatable pools with ice in the communal staging areas that they use post-event. Normally ambient air is used for the warmth and some athletes will put on their sweats, and or a parka after, some will also use socks and hat.
Science of this is interesting. So far what I found is the bigger the change in temperature the better the effect. Hormetic stress is the key.  

However better the science is the feeling and the amazing sleep you get the night after ice baths/sauna.

Here in Medellin we use a big black industrial plastic pool for 1000 liters. It fits for guys. 100kg of ice does the trick. But once a month we venture to the river outside the town and it has similar effect. Water is slightly warmer but movement makes you cool down super fast.

For those of you trying it out, make sure if you go above 10 mins, try and have some way to reheat yourself. Cause the part after the icebath is where it is really cold.
Yes, the temperature change is the biggest part, but be wary of extremes in heat as that can wreak havoc with your circulatory system. From a simple scientific perspective use Boyles Gas Law. When the pressure and volume are constant (inside your body) and then you increase them temperature, there is a direct effect with the pressure as the volume of blood is constant. The same thing happens when a hot tub or swimming pool is too warm for either relaxation or training.

The sleep effects are often related to the hormonal changes. Good stuff.
I usually sauna after my gym workout for 15 to 20 minutes, if its available.

Ice baths would be great, but its a logistical hassle if you live in a warm country without naturally occurring snow and ice.
Its so much easier in Europe, where you simply go and take a dip in the nearest lake in Winter.

So I normally simply take a cold shower after sauna.
Feels refreshing, at the least.
(10-26-2019, 11:46 AM)GuySeduire Wrote: I usually sauna after my gym workout for 15 to 20 minutes, if its available.

Ice baths would be great, but its a logistical hassle if you live in a warm country without naturally occurring snow and ice.
Its so much easier in Europe, where you simply go and take a dip in the nearest lake in Winter.

So I normally simply take a cold shower after sauna.
Feels refreshing, at the least.

I do the same. Is the best cure for an hangover.
A steam sauna is far more effective than a dry air sauna at exactly the same temperature due to water's higher heat capacity.
Conversely a steam burn will be worse than a dry burn.

My favourite method is to alternate between the sauna and cold shower with no ill effects.

Although it would be interesting to see what it is like to make fornication with a lady in a sauna.
I love the Russian saunas where you get absolutely roasted and then jump into an ice pool. I go to one in NYC all the time.
Any difference to soaking in a hot tub then going outside into the cold?