Crypto thread
I still have Litecoin, BTC cash, BTC and ethereum in my portfolio. I'm thinking to sell all my Litecoins and reinvest them in eth and btc cash, good idea or stupid idea?
(06-26-2019, 04:53 AM)SC87 Wrote: WKR do you trade often or mostly just buy and hold?

Mostly hodl

Should trade more
I've only really been trading these last few months but even a small trade where you can pick up 1-2% adds up, once in a while I've gotten lucky and been able to make a 15-20% trade adding to the stack.
Chainlink started trading on Coinbase and hit $3.50. As a result, the price on all other exchanges shot up too. Now it seems to have stabilized a bit around $2.65 on most exchanges.

I closed my position today at $2.70 after getting in at $1.50 and $2.00 but I was so stupid to sell all my LINK last month when it hit $0.60. Chainlink has been a beast this year.
Samsung releases blockchain SDK on Ethereum.

https://developer.samsung.com/blockchain

For those who don't understand what this means, Samsung is providing a set of standardized tools for software developers to build blockchain applications on Samsung devices... the blockchain 'network' that will be utilized is Ethereum.

So for enterprise integration + adoption, that makes:

+ Ernst & Young : privacy features via Nightfall
+ Samsung : developer SDK for managing wallets on mobile devices
+ Societe Generale : tokenized $110MM worth of bonds
+ Microsoft : developer SDK for blockchain as a service on Azure.
+ Google via Chainlink (an ETH token) : connecting blockchain applications to independent data sources on Google Cloud.

ETH's value prop is becoming more clear: a programmable store of value and preeminent platform for asset digitization.. When you consider both the planned improvements in the Ethereum protocol and the flourishing ecosystem of devs and enterprise, Ethereum is leading the pack in implementing the technological infrastructure to make this a reality.

So with relentless development happening in the ETH space, upcoming inclusion on major trading platforms (Fidelity, TD Ameritrade, Etrade) and current real use cases (collateralization in deFI) , it's looking very bright for ETH as we enter the 2020's.
So what’s the consensus on Chainlink now. Shitcoin or is it potentially going to the moon over the next few months/EOY? It seems to be dropping.

If only I invested two years ago, I could be driving muh Lambo now.
(07-11-2019, 10:10 PM)Vic Vega Wrote: So what’s the consensus on Chainlink now. Shitcoin or is it potentially going to the moon over the next few months/EOY? It seems to be dropping.

If only I invested two years ago, I could be driving muh Lambo now.

I accumulated last summer with an average buy in of 28 cents, I will sell 5 % of my stack at 10 and will have sells of 5% at 20, 40, 60, 80, Then sell 33% at 100 and the rest I'll use to stake for passive income.  None of the OG buyers are selling yet and won't be till it goes much higher.  Take that as you will.
JayJuanGee Wrote:You don't need to agree with me. I don't care. There are a decent amount of people who do agree with me, but why would it matter very much? I made my points already, but you want to dwell on the points that I have not made or that I fail or refuse to make.

Fair enough, and I'll close saying this.

If you're going to have a strong opinion on a subject - like calling an investment or project 'smoke and mirrors', a 'ponzi scheme', and giving sloppy rationale as to why it isn't viable - and then when someone presses you on it and you can't or won't explain your reasoning, that undermines the credibility of your position. I decided to go down this rabbit trail because of claims that you originally made.

Ethereum faces a lot of difficulties and challenges, but, the reasons you condemn it are specious. 

Having a strong opinion + not knowing what you're talking about = low-value content

I don't 'love' Ethereum, although as a former dev, I find it to be a fascinating project lead by an exceptional individual (Vitalik Buterin). It has enormous potential and a flourishing ecosystem. For what it's worth, I think Bitcoin also has a strong investment case, which I already outlined in this very thread.
(07-22-2019, 02:55 AM)billydingdong Wrote:
JayJuanGee Wrote:You don't need to agree with me. I don't care. There are a decent amount of people who do agree with me, but why would it matter very much? I made my points already, but you want to dwell on the points that I have not made or that I fail or refuse to make.

The above citation of me comes from your "The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread", so perhaps you made a mistake by not properly citing from where you got my above quote.  Would not have been as big of a deal to not include a proper reference if such quote had come from this thread but you are citing my post from "The Stock Market, Investments, and Investing Thread".

(07-22-2019, 02:55 AM)billydingdong Wrote: If you're going to have a strong opinion on a subject - like calling an investment or project 'smoke and mirrors', a 'ponzi scheme', and giving sloppy rationale as to why it isn't viable - and then when someone presses you on it and you can't or won't explain your reasoning, that undermines the credibility of your position. I decided to go down this rabbit trail because of claims that you originally made.

In the other thread, I already told you that I had concluded that I had already provided an adequate and sufficient response to you, and I further elaborated to the extent that I felt reasonable, including that I was not going to respond to your bullshit points about your bullshit investment but also opining that you are free to make your own decisions regarding your conclusions regarding the merits or lack thereof of ethereum.  Nonetheless, you continue to want to get me to provide further evidence, which I believe is unnecessary.    Either you or anyone else who concludes that ethereum is a good investment are free to make those choices without my arguing with you about a topic that is not even of interest to me, and who gives any shits that I had made several arguably conclusory and opinion based statements.. why should it matter?  If you like your coin, or anything related to your coin, then invest in to your heart's desire.  I already made that point, in other words, of course...

(07-22-2019, 02:55 AM)billydingdong Wrote: Ethereum faces a lot of difficulties and challenges, but, the reasons you condemn it are specious. 

Yes... you are free to come to that conclusion.  I am not offended.  

(07-22-2019, 02:55 AM)billydingdong Wrote: Having a strong opinion + not knowing what you're talking about = low-value content

That's also your opinion, and obviously, I disagree and my responses seem to already sufficient in that direction despite your seeming ongoing desire to belabor your opinion in this direction.

(07-22-2019, 02:55 AM)billydingdong Wrote: I don't 'love' Ethereum, although as a former dev, I find it to be a fascinating project lead by an exceptional individual (Vitalik Buterin). It has enormous potential and a flourishing ecosystem. For what it's worth, I think Bitcoin also has a strong investment case, which I already outlined in this very thread.

Well, if at least you are putting your money where your mouth is, to the best of your ability, then I would not be able to fault you for that.  Likely in the coming years we can see how these various crypto matters and their relations among each other and their performance in the market place play out.    

Like I already mentioned in one of my previous responses, I understand that Ethereum could collapse quickly, but it is not as likely to collapse quickly because it is building some BIG investors that will likely help to propel its phoney baloney bullshit along, and could even take 20 years for it to collapse.  But, personally, I have not been investing in ethereum largely because I do not have confidence in the underlying fundamentals and whether it is offering anything meaning or material to the space in order to cause it long term value that would play out in spite of its seeming centralization and scamminess problems.  

On the other hand, I invest in bitcoin because I neither believe that bitcoin is subject to the same kind of smoke and mirror scamminess and that bitcoin is actually providing a long term paradigm shifting value.. so ultimately, on a personal decision-making level, I have more confidence in bitcoin as a long term investment in comparison to ethereum or any of the other shitcoins for that matter.  At the same time, even though currently, I have the most confidence in bitcoin, I do recognize that there are possibilities that some of the other coins could price perform better than bitcoin in the shorter term, but at the same time, it seems that a lot of the distinguishing problematic issues in bitcoin were sorted out in 2017 and also a lot of bitcoin's foundational issues remain quite strong and surely in a process of development.

So, yeah, in the end, any guy here should attempt to figure out for himself the extent to which he believes in any project including crypto and the extent to which he might allocate in one versus another and the ratios.  Sometimes there can also be cashflow issues that does not allow a guy to invest in accordance with his beliefs because he is too busy struggling to accumulate enough of a cashflow in order to have a sufficient amount of funds left over for investing and thereby allocating in accordance with his beliefs.
(07-22-2019, 02:55 AM)billydingdong Wrote:

If you're going to have a strong opinion on a subject - like calling an investment or project 'smoke and mirrors', a 'ponzi scheme', and giving sloppy rationale as to why it isn't viable - and then when someone presses you on it and you can't or won't explain your reasoning, that undermines the credibility of your position. I decided to go down this rabbit trail because of claims that you originally made.

Ethereum faces a lot of difficulties and challenges, but, the reasons you condemn it are specious. 

Having a strong opinion + not knowing what you're talking about = low-value content

I don't 'love' Ethereum, although as a former dev, I find it to be a fascinating project lead by an exceptional individual (Vitalik Buterin). It has enormous potential and a flourishing ecosystem. For what it's worth, I think Bitcoin also has a strong investment case, which I already outlined in this very thread.
This post won't age well. Good luck.
(07-23-2019, 12:32 AM)Swordfish1010 Wrote: This post won't age well. Good luck.

Haha..yeah sure.

--------

In other news, Microsoft is attempting to introduce collaborative AI on the blockchain. And that blockchain would be.... Ethereum.

From the linked article:

Quote:Leveraging blockchain technology allows us to do two things that are integral to the success of the framework: offer participants a level of trust and security and reliably execute an incentive-based system to encourage participants to contribute data that will help improve a model’s performance.

With current web services, even if code is open source, people can’t be 100 percent sure of what they’re interacting with, and running the models generally requires specialized cloud services. In our solution, we put these public models into smart contracts, code on a blockchain that helps ensure the specifications of agreed upon terms are upheld. In our framework, models can be updated on-chain, meaning within the blockchain environment, for a small transaction fee or used for inference off-chain, locally on the individual’s device, with no transaction costs.

Smart contracts are unmodifiable and evaluated by many machines, helping to ensure the model does what it specifies it will do. The immutable nature and permanent record of smart contracts also allows us to reliably compute and deliver rewards for good data contributions. Trust is important when processing payments, especially in a system like ours that seeks to encourage positive participation via incentives (more to come on that later). Additionally, blockchains such as Ethereum have thousands of decentralized machines all over the world, making it less likely a smart contract will become completely unavailable or taken offline.

tldr; Microsoft is using Ethereum to coordinate AI development and data sharing through an incentive mechanism managed by an Ethereum smart contract for participants' contributions.
(07-28-2019, 05:14 PM)billydingdong Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 12:32 AM)Swordfish1010 Wrote: This post won't age well. Good luck.

Haha..yeah sure.

--------

In other news, Microsoft is attempting to introduce collaborative AI on the blockchain. And that blockchain would be.... Ethereum.

From the linked article:

Quote:Leveraging blockchain technology allows us to do two things that are integral to the success of the framework: offer participants a level of trust and security and reliably execute an incentive-based system to encourage participants to contribute data that will help improve a model’s performance.

With current web services, even if code is open source, people can’t be 100 percent sure of what they’re interacting with, and running the models generally requires specialized cloud services. In our solution, we put these public models into smart contracts, code on a blockchain that helps ensure the specifications of agreed upon terms are upheld. In our framework, models can be updated on-chain, meaning within the blockchain environment, for a small transaction fee or used for inference off-chain, locally on the individual’s device, with no transaction costs.

Smart contracts are unmodifiable and evaluated by many machines, helping to ensure the model does what it specifies it will do. The immutable nature and permanent record of smart contracts also allows us to reliably compute and deliver rewards for good data contributions. Trust is important when processing payments, especially in a system like ours that seeks to encourage positive participation via incentives (more to come on that later). Additionally, blockchains such as Ethereum have thousands of decentralized machines all over the world, making it less likely a smart contract will become completely unavailable or taken offline.

tldr; Microsoft is using Ethereum to coordinate AI development and data sharing through an incentive mechanism managed by an Ethereum smart contract for participants' contributions.

Here's a nice little tweet of a picture to substantively and materially explain ethereum to any of you who want to get a bit of a visual of how ethereum compares with bitcoin as an investment.

https://twitter.com/fluffypony/status/11...21984?s=20

[Image: EA3gOlrXYAA4hON?format=jpg&name=small]
JayJuanGee Wrote:Here's a nice little tweet of a picture to substantively and materially explain ethereum to any of you who want to get a bit of a visual of how ethereum compares with bitcoin as an investment.

Oh hey, I'm having trouble hearing you with all this Ethereum development going on. The progress is roaring, but maybe difficult to hear for those trapped inside the delusional Bitcoin cult echo chamber.

So what can you stack on the back of a yak? Apparently a lot: like $280 MILLION of tokenized real estate bonds 

Quote:...a German startup announced that it received approval from the German Financial Market Supervisory Authority (BaFin) to distribute the country’s first blockchain-based real estate bond to retail and institutional investors around the world.

The company is called Fundament Group, andyesterday it launched a 250 million euro ($280 million) tokenized bond offering on the Ethereum blockchain backed by commercial real estate investments in major cities across Germany. The token will conform to ERC-20 standards and be interoperable with most major wallets and transferable around the world.

According to reporting from CoinDesk, the token will be backed by five separate construction projects, three in Hamburg, one in Frankfurt and one in the university town of Jena. The portfolio, including residential, commercial and hotel properties, will total more than 680,000 square feet upon completion.  The company expects to pay investors an annual dividend between 4-7% each year at the end of July until the year 2033, at which point investors will be reimbursed in full for the nominal amount of their initial purchase. Investors will be able to pay for their shares and receive dividends in fiat or ether. There is an expectation that this payout model could help drive additional demand for the token, as opposed to traditional STOs that may trade at a discount, at least early on, due to illiquid markets.

Those Germans are so dumb building on top of a scam project, eh? 
Smile
(08-02-2019, 04:23 PM)billydingdong Wrote:
JayJuanGee Wrote:Here's a nice little tweet of a picture to substantively and materially explain ethereum to any of you who want to get a bit of a visual of how ethereum compares with bitcoin as an investment.

Oh hey, it's hard to hear you with all this Ethereum development going on. It's hard to avoid, but maybe not for those trapped inside the delusional Bitcoin cult echo chamber.

So what can you stack on the back of a yak? Apparently a lot: like $280 MILLION of tokenized real estate bonds 

Quote:...a German startup announced that it received approval from the German Financial Market Supervisory Authority (BaFin) to distribute the country’s first blockchain-based real estate bond to retail and institutional investors around the world.

The company is called Fundament Group, andyesterday it launched a 250 million euro ($280 million) tokenized bond offering on the Ethereum blockchain backed by commercial real estate investments in major cities across Germany. The token will conform to ERC-20 standards and be interoperable with most major wallets and transferable around the world.

According to reporting from CoinDesk, the token will be backed by five separate construction projects, three in Hamburg, one in Frankfurt and one in the university town of Jena. The portfolio, including residential, commercial and hotel properties, will total more than 680,000 square feet upon completion.  The company expects to pay investors an annual dividend between 4-7% each year at the end of July until the year 2033, at which point investors will be reimbursed in full for the nominal amount of their initial purchase. Investors will be able to pay for their shares and receive dividends in fiat or ether. There is an expectation that this payout model could help drive additional demand for the token, as opposed to traditional STOs that may trade at a discount, at least early on, due to illiquid markets.

Those Germans are so dumb building on top of a scam project, eh? 
Smile

In essence, yes.. it seems that building on ethereum is very problematic and likely to come crashing down.  So perhaps there are going to be some ways to prop up the ethereum house of cards with toothpicks and some other implements along the way.

Surely, if you feel comfortable investing into ethereum, based on other BIG money going into it, then that is your choice, and it might all work out fine and dandy for you whether you are investing long term or you figure out some time in which you believe that you should pull out some or all of your value.. discretionary matters, that's for sure.
(08-02-2019, 04:36 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote: In essence, yes.. it seems that building on ethereum is very problematic and likely to come crashing down.  So perhaps there are going to be some ways to prop up the ethereum house of cards with toothpicks and some other implements along the way.

Surely, if you feel comfortable investing into ethereum, based on other BIG money going into it, then that is your choice, and it might all work out fine and dandy for you whether you are investing long term or you figure out some time in which you believe that you should pull out some or all of your value.. discretionary matters, that's for sure.

You keep repeating that, but like I said, you clearly don't know what you're talking about on this particular subject.

In this case, why would investors/financiers risk money, risk their credibility and waste their time floating 280 MILLION dollars in bond funding if they think the platform is very problematic and likely to come crashing down...?

[Image: lalalala.gif]

'BIG money' and various stakeholders (big tech, banks, devs) getting into Ethereum or any blockchain project is a vote of confidence and endorsement of that project's viability.

Except in bizarro Bitcoin cult world.
(08-02-2019, 05:14 PM)billydingdong Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 04:36 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote: In essence, yes.. it seems that building on ethereum is very problematic and likely to come crashing down.  So perhaps there are going to be some ways to prop up the ethereum house of cards with toothpicks and some other implements along the way.

You keep repeating that, but like I said, you clearly don't know what you're talking about on this particular subject.

In this case, why would investors/financiers risk money, risk their credibility and waste their time floating 280 MILLION dollars in bond funding if they think the platform is very problematic and likely to come crashing down...?

'BIG money' and various stakeholders (big tech, banks, devs) getting into Ethereum or any blockchain project is a vote of confidence and endorsement of that project's viability.

Yes.  Of course, if you want to invest in ethereum, and you believe that the fact that other investors is sufficient to make it a good investment, then sure, you might be correct.  That is your decision regarding whether and how much to put into such a project.   

Surely in the past, ethereum pumped beyond the expectations of a lot of folks, including yours truly.  So, you are correct, it may not matter what I think about the project because surely they are capable of pumping from time to time, and whether history is going to repeat itself is still to be seen.  Like I mentioned, hopefully some of the brilliant minds, assuming that some of those folks must be brilliant minds, are going to be able to help some of the fundamental problems with ethereum that still seems to involve issues with their bloated blockchain and even questions regarding supply of the tokens and a variety of other technical issues that can also involve the fact that a lot of scams have been built on top of ethereum, so in that regard, there still seems to be some risk that various scams built on top of ethereum could impact the solidness of its platform.

So, yeah, perhaps it will pump and perhaps there might be years ahead in which it remains a decently solid platform in terms of network effects.  I would not hitch much of anything to that particular sail, because of what seem to be decent amount of technical problems and even distortions in their forward going vision regarding supposed solutions that pretty much seem to throw out the old chain and to start over.. seems a bit uncertain to be investing in a platform that involves a decent amount of starting over of the base layer, which also might introduce more bugs and vulnerabilities that affect various players on the platform and end up negatively affecting the price of the token, too.

But, yeah, maybe they are going to be able to keep up and running what appears to be a bit of a catastrophe waiting to happen... and yeah if such catastrophe happens in 5 or 10 years, then it might not matter to the shorter term investors who may have been able to extract their investment value at a premium in the meantime.
(08-02-2019, 06:20 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 05:14 PM)billydingdong Wrote:

Yes.  Of course, if you want to invest in ethereum, and you believe that the fact that other investors is sufficient to make it a good investment, then sure, you might be correct.  That is your decision regarding whether and how much to put into such a project.   

Surely in the past, ethereum pumped beyond the expectations of a lot of folks, including yours truly.  So, you are correct, it may not matter what I think about the project because surely they are capable of pumping from time to time, and whether history is going to repeat itself is still to be seen.  Like I mentioned, hopefully some of the brilliant minds, assuming that some of those folks must be brilliant minds, are going to be able to help some of the fundamental problems with ethereum that still seems to involve issues with their bloated blockchain and even questions regarding supply of the tokens and a variety of other technical issues that can also involve the fact that a lot of scams have been built on top of ethereum, so in that regard, there still seems to be some risk that various scams built on top of ethereum could impact the solidness of its platform.

So, yeah, perhaps it will pump and perhaps there might be years ahead in which it remains a decently solid platform in terms of network effects.  I would not hitch much of anything to that particular sail, because of what seem to be decent amount of technical problems and even distortions in their forward going vision regarding supposed solutions that pretty much seem to throw out the old chain and to start over.. seems a bit uncertain to be investing in a platform that involves a decent amount of starting over of the base layer, which also might introduce more bugs and vulnerabilities that affect various players on the platform and end up negatively affecting the price of the token, too.

But, yeah, maybe they are going to be able to keep up and running what appears to be a bit of a catastrophe waiting to happen... and yeah if such catastrophe happens in 5 or 10 years, then it might not matter to the shorter term investors who may have been able to extract their investment value at a premium in the meantime.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention too, that there seems to have been a decent amount of fucking around and pulling the chains of miners who might be directing their hashpower towards BTC.  Part of the fucking around has to do with this dangling carrot of moving to proof of stake, but there are also various issues regarding how miners are rewarded and those kinds of matters that seem to be less than decentralized in terms of incentive mechanisms that could cause not only miners who don't really want to ethically direct their hashpower on ethereum but also might either chose not to direct their hash power or to direct towards other projects and even projects that are counter productive in light of securing the ethereum chain and supporting systems.
I would like to mention that in several of your recent posts, you, billydingdong, did suggest that there is some kind of absurdity in my whole perspective about ethereum because of my investment bias towards bitcoin.

Surely, I am not going to deny that I have an investment preference for bitcoin, and in fact, any of us who have been watching the crypto space for a decently sufficient amount of time should be able to recognize that bitcoin has been the leader in the space and has continued to be the mover and shaker in the space.

Of course, at the same time, there have been decent periods of time in which guys could have traded against bitcoin and invested into various altcoins, whether ethereum or some other shitcoin, and actually got a considerably greater return as compared to bitcoin for certain periods  of time as long as guys were able (and foresightful enough) to get in and out of those investments with some kind of decently good timing (whether by luck or whether identifying some kind of price trend that would make it more profitable to be in bitcoin as compared with the various shit coins.

Towards the middle and end of 2018, we had seen that in bitcoin the price buying support of $6k had been tested at least 5 times, and there were a decent number of folks, including yours truly, who had developed a tentative theory that more or less $6k might be the bottom of that particular cycle of correction from $19,666 down to just a bit below $6k (like $5,700-ish), which would have been about a 71% correction from the top, and surely within the realm of reasonable thinking in terms of whether we might have suffered enough.

There were also some questions about what exactly was driving the bitcoin price down, and surely theories about shitcoin froth, whether we are referring to ethereum, or various ERC20 tokens(which are tokens that are built on ethereum), versions of bcash, ICOs or other clearly overvalued projects were dragging down the bitcoin price.

Of course, cause and effect, regarding what exactly is dragging down the price is not exactly clear, but surely one of the strong theories regarding why bitcoin quickly corrected some more in mid-November by nearly cutting in half and getting down to $3,122 by mid-December was ongoing rational assessment regarding the need to purge more froth out of the altcoins, whether we are talking ethereum, bcash or other categories of coins/projects that I already mentioned above.  

So furthermore part of the theory that BTC's bottom might not be in had to do with the likelihood that even BTC's dropping down to $3,122 was not necessarily causing enough pain in the altcoins and shitcoins and that the 14 year old snot heads (whether they are investing in shitcoin ethereum with some german company or with microsoft or whatever needed to be purged some more).   

So, yeah, we spent nearly 4 months battling BTC prices that were largely in the sub $4k territories, and even several BTC bulls were making predictions of need for additional downward BTC prices, such as going into the sub $2k territory and even lower, because there were reasonable arguments and thoughts that the shitcoins needed to be purged some more... whether ethereum or otherwise.

So, really, a decently vast majority of the market and the talking points in late march concerned needs for additional long periods of more suffering through both possible more price downturn but also quite a bit more time without the appreciation of BTC's price.  

So much negative predictions in the space in late march that largely lasted for more than a few months, created decent amount of incentives for the reking of a decent amount of BTC shorts, and even another way to fuck the various shitcoins and to purge them some more relative to bitcoin.  So BTC's price shot up more than 3.5x in less than 3 months, and the vast majority of shitcoins, including ethereum did not come along.  

I am not saying that I really know anything about which way the BTC price or the price of ethereum or various other shitcoins is going to go in the coming months, but there still seems to be some plausible explanation that this is another way of purging some more shitcoins that continue to be overvalued, which seems to include ethereum for reasons that I had already mentioned in some of my other earlier posts.

Of course, you can bet on ethereum, if you want, that is your choice.  It is possible that ethereum could make up some of its lost ground in terms of its bitcoin price, but that is far from a given, in spite of continued investment of BIG players who may well provide fuel to screw them over for the other BIG players who might be betting against ethereum at least in comparison to bitcoin or perhaps even muddying the waters to some degrees with some of the ethereum competitors getting pumped instead of ethereum?

Surely, I remain excited about bitcoin based on a variety of bullish fundamentals that takes us into ongoing upwards BTC price pressures for a couple of years, even though there are certainly NO certainties in any of this space.  It is also going to be interesting to see how the various shitcoins whether ethereum, bcash variants or other projects perform in terms of either their dollar valuation or in comparison to bitcoin.   Some of the assessments will sometimes get a bit cloudy because we might be able to show that some of the projects, whether ethereum or other shitcoins are performing decently well as compared with the dollar.. but can become a bit of a more challenging (and even interesting dynamics to see how they continue to perform in their BTC pairs).  

I think that for a decent amount of 2018, I had been tentatively spouting out that various shitcoins (ethereum and others) were likely going to get at least one more pump in the next bubble or whatever, and I still tentatively believe that there are good chances that a decent number of them can pump again.  Nonetheless I feel like I am in a bit more of a wait and see disposition in regards to how certain I am feeling that the various shitcoins are going to pump again... like on the coattails of bitcoin.... and face it, if bitcoin does not succeed, then where the fuck are the various shitcoins?  So in that regard, every single one of them is reliant upon the security of bitcoin and its censorship resistance, immutability and other strengths within its over all solid design that combines on chain and off chain solutions.  

Even though I have decently strong sentiments that there are so many fucking scams out there, including ethereum as one of the kings of the scams including that it has allowed various other scams to get built upon it, I hardly ever make price predictions and I would be way too chicken shit to short any of the shitcoins, whether ethereum or otherwise.  But the fact that I would not short them, does not mean that I don't consider them disasters ready to happen, as I outlined in some of my other posts on the topic.

Accordingly, there remains only one coin, which is bitcoin, that any guy should be taking long term positions in terms of dollar cost averaging, buying on dips, HODLing and ultimately accumulating more and more of it.. within the terms of a recently popular meme of stacking sats.  Those kinds of principles do not apply to other coins, even if some guys have gotten lucky with some of them and even if some BIG supposedly smart people are buying it, because there remain a whole hell of a lot more risk factors that compound on a mere investment in BTC.  Why should anyone want to compound their risk more with the various shit coins in a long term kind of way, even if there could be some short term approaches that guys could make to get some good returns, perhaps, perhaps, perhaps?
Here's a nice little tweet from WhalePanda from today that meaningfully responds to Evan Van Ness who is posting about two weeks ago that the end of the Ethereum to Bitcoin ratio has come, suggesting that Ethereum is going to appreciate in respect to bitcoin from that point on out.    Yeah right>>>>>  Rolleyes  Hopium.

I cannot get an exact measure on the two week performance, but surely the ratio of ethereum's value has gone down since then.  In the last week, bitcoin went up 24%-ish and Ethereum only went up 10%; however in the past month BTC went up a bit over 6% while Ethereum went down about 20%.   I doubt that more accurate measures are needed, unless someone wants to argue the two year price performance or something like that?  By the way, just for the record, BTC's 2 year performance to date (at the time that I am typing this) is about 226% up and Ethereum's 2 year performance to date is a bit over 28% down.  I see a pretty decent disparity from this angle.  But, hey what do I know about the greatness potentiality in ethereum's various innovations that will potentially lead  to more pumpenings and value increases?   Don't get me wrong, I am  not proclaiming that ethereum will not pump at some point to the liking of some of their BIGGER bag holders.

An ethereum pumper (believer) might want to be more selective in his presentation of the BTC/ETH price performance timeline matter, but some of that would still suggest either that the ethereum price is going to pump in the future or that some folks could have made a killing, as long as they had gotten out at decent price point(s) before ethereum sunk too much in its price in comparison with BTC.

https://twitter.com/WhalePanda/status/11...85888?s=20

>>>>>>>>WhalePanda        @WhalePanda
People that are overinvested in shitcoins give you horrible financial advice because they can't think and evaluate things objectively, want to try to create fomo to get out of their dire situation or just suck at trading. Always DYOR ¯\_(ツ)_/¯<<<<<<<<<

[Image: EBNcxPAW4AIDEGe?format=jpg&name=small]
This also reminds me about the height of the ethereum pump cycle in about mid-2017 when there was ongoing discussion of the flippening.. that ethereum shit was pumped to death out of hopium of a flippening (which would have been conceptualized as ethereum's market cap going higher than bitcoin's marketcap), but many of those folks more knowledgeable about the scaminess and smoke and mirror bullshit of ethereum would have surely recognized the artificial reality of such a situation, if it had occurred because even to date, there is not a real solid understanding of either their total coin supply nor the extent of the premine holdings and supply that is held due to a kind of premining or other shenanigans of their coins distribution, including the bailouts that they have either done or that they have discussed in their foundation meetings.  That kind of shit (shenanigans) does not go on in bitcoin, including the accompanying marketing and/or attempts at pump and dump... Ripple is good at smoke and mirror marketing too... hahahaha  might pump? might pump?
(08-05-2019, 09:12 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote: ...

This also reminds me about the height of the ethereum pump cycle in about mid-2017 when there was ongoing discussion of the flippening.. that ethereum shit was pumped to death out of hopium of a flippening (which would have been conceptualized as ethereum's market cap going higher than bitcoin's marketcap), but many of those folks more knowledgeable about the scaminess and smoke and mirror bullshit of ethereum would have surely recognized the artificial reality of such a situation, if it had occurred because even to date, [1] there is not a real solid understanding of either their total coin supply nor the extent of the [2] premine holdings and supply that is held due to a kind of premining or other shenanigans of their coins distribution, [3] including the bailouts that they have either done or that they have discussed in their foundation meetings.  That kind of shit (shenanigans) does not go on in bitcoin, including the accompanying marketing and/or attempts at pump and dump... Ripple is good at smoke and mirror marketing too... hahahaha  might pump? might pump?

This is mostly unfocused and unintelligible writing... I'll address the points that I think you've tried to make.

[1] To your point about inflation, the absence of a hard cap is a good thing... it's FAR from given that bitcoin or any other hard-capped proof-of-work coins will be economically viable to secure the network over the long-term as their block rewards dwindle and reduce to nothing.

As of right now, ETH inflation is around 4.5% of total supply (around 13,500 new ETH issued daily, total supply of about 100 million), and block rewards have only been going down: https://etherscan.io/chart/ethersupply.  Additionally, after proof of stake, ether inflation rate will be even lower, around 1%. That seems to be a reasonable amount to secure a network, especially when that 1% is given to holders who are staking.

[2] I don't see a problem with lightly premined coins. In fact, I see it as a useful way to align the incentives of the founders so that they stay on board and see out the success of a project. Ethereum was 12% for the founders out of an initial supply of 60 million. The supply has since grown to 100 million with the creation of block rewards for the miners, so the original founders' % ownership and control has been diluted while the value of their coins have gone up.

That sounds ideal to me.

So what is the problem with this and how do you suggest the original founders be compensated for their efforts and incentivized to stick around and improve the protocol? Why should all of the benefit and value accrue to the miners and not the original team? 

Even Satoshi Nakomoto holds around 1 million bitcoins out at total ~17.8 million supply (5%) -- which I don't see as problematic either.

[3] What bailouts? If there is a hard fork (as with what happened in the DAO fiasco) where stakeholders are made whole after fraud or problems with a smart contract, then the miners that secure the network have to agree on it. That's a democratic and robust way to resolve a problem -- it even happened on Bitcoin when it was rolled back through a hardfork in 2013 due to an error in versions 0.7 and 0.8.

So once again...I don't see a major issue here. Price has recovered and multiplied in both projects since their respective disasters. Is it concerning? Maybe a little, but the ultimate success of all these projects highly speculative anyways.