macbook pro repairs : avoid unofficial repair shops!!!
Hey,

I wanted to declare that you should avoid non AASP repair shops when you want to repair your macbook pro. Every single time I have been to one there was an issue. I know the price is 50% or 33% of what you would pay at an AASP but please don't go there. I changed my battery and it burned my computer after 4 months of usage. I changed my screen the first time the colors were lifeless (that was in Asia, they only replaced the screen film), the second time in Europe it was the whole screen the colors were fine but very quickly the edge of my screen had a slight yellowish taint when the pixels are black.

Fortunately the repair is paying me for the damages of my burned battery ($700) as I sent them a scary email. The AASP will do the repairs and I will from now on avoid non-AASPs!!!!!
Apple is notorious for overcharging for repairs and doing shoddy work. One of the most famous small-business youtubers runs an apple repair shop in Manhattan that I myself have used with great satisfaction. Do your research.
Apple AASP and genius bar do great work compared to shady unofficial stores who can't even buy official hardware parts. Sounds like you watched too much of that youtuber's videos and fell into his scam. Don't be so gullible.
The best solution is to not waste your money on a lousy Apple computer in the first place.
Mac’s are good, I’m on my second MacBook and have been using them for about 5 years, I’ll probably get another one in a year or so but the performance is good.

The screen and body are really good, way better than most the cheap looking and feeling laptops out there.

MacOS is far superior to anything windows has put out for the longest time.
The lack of compatibility with industry standard software for most commercial areas makes Apples virtually useless to most professionals.

Get a Thinkpad and then you've got a real computer with sturdier construction and better reliability. I prefer my nine year old Thinkpad over my work issued Macbook Pro. Apple makes fancy looking toy computers for people to write blog posts on.
I need at least 16gb ram and the good video card my Mac provides to read swoop and use the internet.
The best soloution in my book is to buy new and sell after two or three years for 80% of what you paid and get another new Mac. Resale is crazy high.

Right now if you have an older Mac, people are still paying big money for used Intel based Macs, yet their new M1 processor models are cheaper for much higher spec. The trade-off is that the OS has been re-written to run on the new chips, and it's in it's first release. However it seems stable enough, and Apple don't hang about with software updates where needed.
They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...
(12-13-2020, 04:08 AM)SC87 Wrote: Mac’s are good, I’m on my second MacBook and have been using them for about 5 years, I’ll probably get another one in a year or so but the performance is good.

The screen and body are really good, way better than most the cheap looking and feeling laptops  out there.

MacOS is far superior to anything windows has put out for the longest time.

I used windows until 2013, OS till this year. OS is a bit better but doesn't justify the dollars and cents. Repair/service costs are too high for someone who travels. I definitely prefer windows/HP and Samsung over any status symbols apple offers. YT music also better than itunes.
Unless you do something like drop it they usually don’t need any repairs. 

My first Mac overheated and fried the logic board but it was my fault because all the vents were clogged and the entire thing was full of dust bunnies inside providing no cooling. That repair was around $750 Canadian for a used board that was faster and install. That same computer I dropped from a pretty decent height with the screen open and it broke the screen, at that point it was about 3 years old so I just bought a new one. Both of these things were my fault so I’m not blaming Apple.

For music I use Spotify, I find it the best to have on my computer, phone and car.
MacBooks before they introduced the 2 usb c ports and butterfly keyboards were actually good, I got a 2017 MacBook Pro and it's a piece of shit, the keyboard came apart recently and I got it replaced for free because finally apple admitted it has a design flaw so they extended the warranty for 4 years.

They have good screens and speakers but that's it, they are great as a light browsing/netflix machine but for actually getting stuff done I would rather have a business premium laptop (surface/xps/tpad x1 carbon).
How much is that though? Similar pricing to a base model 15” MBP?
(12-13-2020, 09:27 PM)SC87 Wrote: How much is that though? Similar pricing to a base  model 15” MBP?

Well depends on what you need, but they are not that far apart in price, I would say about 70-80% of the price compared to a Mac. In the past it was worth to pay the apple premium for a better machine but now not so much unless you need to be in the apple ecosystem for a certain reason.
Surely everyone's seen this, but if not, have a laugh:

If you haven't met anyone, I'll assume you're lying (h/t to Teedub from the old forum)
Dont leave private pictures and incrimination info on personal laptops you drop off to have work done on. Then never come back to pick up.
There are so many YouTube videos on fixing most Mac issues yourself. There's no reason to go to a Mac repair shop unless it's serious like a motherboard issue or a total messed up screen. Then you might as well get a new one. I've had my MacBook pro since 2010. I've only had to replace the power cord, one RAM memory card and a fan. Replaced them all myself too...Macs are well worth the price. My first was a Toshiba PC lasted less than 5 years, paid the same as my Mac....