What car do you recommend?
(10-30-2020, 01:14 AM)Dali Wrote: Any thoughts on a Grand Cherokee? I'm debating between a 4Runner and a Grand Cherokee, 2015-2018 4x4 with less than 50k miles. Had been set on a 4runner but those used prices are completely insane, basically can't find one cheaper than $32k, so now looking at other options. Issue with the Cherokees seems to be the maintenance cost when it gets to 100k miles (whereas Toyotas are basically bulletproof) but curious to hear any experience.

Is this for a secondary or primary vehicle?  How much do you drive per month?  

4Runners are built like a rock...only issues might be that it's prone to flipping over....glad it didn't happen to me as I had one to haul excess shit around for years.  

I hear the Toyota Highlander/Subaru Outbacks are solid ones...
(10-30-2020, 03:59 AM)jordypip23 Wrote: I believe the studded tires are illegal in several US states & Canadian provinces:

Metals studs are prohibited in 11 states — Alabama, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Wisconsin (some of these states allow tires with rubber studs; Maryland allows studs only in certain counties). Only six states permit the use of studded tires without restriction: Colorado, Kentucky, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Vermont, and Wyoming. Most of the remaining states allow studded tires with date restrictions. For example, in Pennsylvania where Jack Williams Tire has 35 Auto and Service Centers in Northeastern and Central Pennsylvania,  studded tires are permitted only from November 1 – April 15. 

In many parts of Canada, the use of studded tires is permitted only during specific months, regardless of weather conditions. In Quebec, for example, studded tires are prohibited after May 1 and before Oct. 15. In Ontario, you must take off the studded tires by April 30 and cannot put them back on until Oct. 1. Nova Scotia also prohibits studded tires after April 30 and before Oct. 15.

Studded tires also legal here as well: Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and the Yukon. These provinces and territories have no restrictions on the use of studded tires, so you can use them as you'd like at any point throughout the winter without incurring a fine.

True dat, many places have restrictions/bans on studded tires. 

One other thing to note is that winter laws rules seem to change quite frequently from year to year in each jurisdiction with different dates of applicability and even specific laws for different subregions within provinces, so while general technical advice is applicable all over, CHECK THE LOCAL RULES if you want to avoid any fines.