Adventures to Seek
Would love to hear some ideas from members as to what adventures a young man should pursue (age range 18-21).
dont limit recommendations to offshore. Do post about interesting pursuits on home shores as well.

For example personally I really enjoy intense experiences where through discomfort comes growth and am interested in the following:
> Work on a commercial fishing boat as a deckhand.
> Work on an Offshore Oil Rig
> Work in a slaughterhouse
> Vipassina Meditation 10-20 day intensive.

Equally things I would be interested in but not too sure if possible:
> Humanitarian aid in a Conflict Zone.

What is your experience with intense character building experiences?
Which would you recommend?
Was should be avoided?
That is the mentality to have as a young man! I myself always chose the least traveled paths and life rewards you for it.

Some suggestions:
-do visit a poor third world country
-everywhere you go, don't stick to the capital, go visit the countryside and see what life is for the majority of the population
-try some spiritual experiences, I've done ayahuasca twice but also other hallucinogens n other strange drugs and rituals, like visiting witches, medicine men, indigenous saunas etc.
-do some serious hiking in mountains, solo or in groups, other adventure sports can be really fun and eyeopening (but rough) as well, like cycling, rafting, running...
-humanitarian aid also recommended, at home sure, but abroad will be more intense. There's many options here so find something in line with your character.
You should be drinking life from a firehose in your early 20s, don't ignore the call to adventure when you hear it!

Try to experience as much as you can, this is not the time to pick a narrow path. You may find it fosters an outlook that sets you up for an unconventional and rewarding life.

I'm hesitant to give you specific ideas, because I think you should move towards the things you've mentioned that are already calling out to you. But as a guideline, anything involving exploration (domestic or global), experimentation and a sense of risk is probably worth your consideration.
I'm waiting for Scotian to pitch in here, another man that has lived an adventurous lifestyle.

With regards to voluntary work, people always have the idea of doing shitty work in third world countries, but there's tons of things you can do that will be fun in itself. If you like sports, go teach the youth there at some sports academies or through some NGO organizations. These can be amazing experiences, standing on the pitch in an exotic country with a bunch of happy kids who otherwise would not have the means to enjoy sports. If you like nature or animals, go become a guide in a national park or do some biodiversity work in secluded nature areas. If you are a man of culture, go do some literature sessions, theatre, music classes etc. Often in that sector, poor countries have just nothing, so whatever you will bring to the table will be all that's there. The digital evolution also brings opportunities, kids n adolescents that want to learn photography, video editing, app building, etc.

However, if you want a true hardship experience, check the healthcare sector, orphanages, ... You will soon hit your limits probably depending on the country. All these things can be done in third world, but also in Eastern Europe, former Sovjet countries for instance.
Would love to hear stories from blokes that have lived unconventionally, it inspires me to do better.
Go to Latin America and live life like a movie. I did it since age 19, got addicted and I’m never looking back. Travel alone, dream big. Learn a language, make friends everywhere. When I turned 18 my father wanted me to get my first job so I became a cleaner at a campsite in France. Everyday when I was showering the shit off my body I would dream of travelling and going on adventures into unknown lands. 2 years later I‘ve lived such a crazy life for my age I can’t believe it.

It’s good to do difficult things which harden you at that age such as a rough physical job. Also watch out for drugs, at that age they can either accelerate what you do or stop you from achieving your dreams. I know many who smoke weed every day and never fulfilled their goals so keep it to a moderation.
Climb mountains, travel to 3rd world countries and bang local girls. That's mostly what I've done. If you go to Latin America you can do both. I need to go back to Latin America
(09-18-2020, 10:58 AM)Mitch O\Connor Wrote: Would love to hear some ideas from members as to what adventures a young man should pursue (age range 18-21).
dont limit recommendations to offshore.  Do post  about interesting pursuits on home shores as well.

For example personally I really enjoy intense experiences where through discomfort comes growth and am interested in the following:
> Work on a commercial fishing boat as a deckhand.
> Work on an Offshore Oil Rig
> Work in a slaughterhouse
> Vipassina Meditation 10-20 day intensive.

Equally things I would be interested in but not too sure if possible:
> Humanitarian aid in a Conflict Zone.

What is your experience with intense character building experiences?
Which would you recommend?
Was should be avoided?

Don't do the slaughterhouse. That will do nothing but create negative energy and curse you for a very long time. Seriously don't do it.
Go to Europe and live life like a movie. See the snow and the cities that look like theme parks. Flush toilet paper, take a shower with gas heated water, boil potatoes on an induction cook-top. Get on a bus that is on time. Pretend to know how to dance and play soccer, speak English with an appropriately exotic accent, make friends everywhere and bang blue eyed girls.
Not necessarily character-building on-the-job experiences, but good ways to travel that will expand your worldview:

- Thru-hike across a region that interests you, with a loose enough schedule that invites you to give up on your trail for a day and check out anything interesting along the way. Feel the local weather as it really is, see some natural sights, and find the towns you'd never hit on the usual railway/highway tourist drags. (Have had a blast doing this in Britain.)
- Spend a month island-hopping somewhere with a ferry system, wandering freely into the places most people never see and finding a place to stay when you get to shore. (Greece is ideal. Take a shuttle flight to Crete, explore there, then work your way back up to Athens by boat like Theseus when you're ready.)
- Find an Arctic town at the end of the world to witness the Midnight Sun (summer nights where the sun never sets) and/or the Blue Hour (winter afternoons where it never truly rises).

Incidentally, Mike Chang is a fraud. Thru-hiking is the real Six Pack Shortcut. You'll put in 1,500 calories of work a day easy.
You mean the magic red drink doesn't work?!
Working on an offshore oil rig looks cool but it sucks, the only fun part is the helicopter survival training course and the first time that you land on the rig in the helicopter. If you’re going to work in the oil industry, pipeline construction is way better and a lot more fun because you can party after work with a bunch of crazy welders.

Some other adventures I can recommend are scuba diving on ship wrecks and inside caves/tunnels like cenotes in Mexico.
I find diving fascinating and terrifying at the same time
(09-20-2020, 03:40 PM)mike Wrote: Climb mountains, travel to 3rd world countries and bang local girls. That's mostly what I've done. If you go to Latin America you can do both. I need to go back to Latin America
at 18-21 i wouldnt waste these years in the 3rd world banging local girls. He can bang local girls in the 3rd world when he is in his 40s in the 3rd world if he wanted to.   i think an older established man that looks after himself would school the young 18 year old playboy in a 3rd world.

Wheres, a 40 year old that cant go to college bars or college aged destinations like cancun mykonos etc to pick up womana this age older majority of time.. best to go to these destinations when young.  not 3rd world first. wrong order imo. So I would use these young years for these destinations. and after 25 go overseas to the 3rd world.

But still focus on his business/ career/school during these young years. i think 18-21 is to young to travel to the 3rd world and try to game woman imo. better to just be in a college town somewhere while focusing on work/school/business whatever path he is following.

with that being said. i do think every man should go to 3rd worlds and try to bang the local girls. so dont get me wrong. im just saying i think 18 is still young for this. save the 3rd world till after 24+ imo.
Awesome replies so far
Rally col thread. I definetely think that stepping out of your comfort zone is the key to growth. Mine would be:
- go hiking in the mountains
- swim in ice cold water (rivers, lakes, ...) - check out wimhoff
- going out alone
- boxing / muay thai, ....
- trying psychedelics
- freeriding
- going to the jungle / desert and off the beaten path
Being young in most 3rd world or Asian countries is a negative. I visited Asia when I turned 19 and probably even looked a year or two younger, it hurt with the girls especially when most the girls I was going after were early 20’s.