Money spent on wardrobe (clothing and shoes)
Hello there

I was discussing this with some friends recently and am curious to hear from guys on Swoop. On average, how much do you guys spend on a monthly basis on buying new clothing (including shoes)?

I would only buy new stuff several times a year so my monthly average would be 100 dollars if that. I was surprised that one friend of mine spends about 500 dollars a month because he doesn't look particularly fashionable or anything. For him buying a 250 dollar shirt or 100 dollar belt means nothing.

This isn't to discuss tips on saving money or minimalism by the way, I'm just interested in general spending habits.
I spend about the same as you, maybe a 100$ per month or even less. I do profit from travelling a lot and getting good material clothes occasionally at the source, like a nice leather jacket or belt in Ecuador or tailored suits in other countries while in the west it would cost a lot more. Besides that, you reduce costs a lot by targeting the sale periods and focusing more on fit than on brand. I see nothing wrong with a good fitting Zara outfit for instance. For shoes, you can get a decent pair for 100-150$. Pants maybe 75-100$.

I have no idea what the guys spending 500$ a month on clothes have that would bring them an advantage. Perhaps expensive watches make out some of that cost, that can ramp up costs a lot. Overall, better to spend on a gym membership probably than splurging on clothes.
Yeah, that's interesting. I buy clothing at Zara from time to time as well. H&M has some pretty decent stuff too, as does Massimo Dutti. I guess it helps that you and I spend most of our time living in a warm climate so we need less clothing whereas if you're in Northern Europe there are 3-4 different seasons to deal with. That friend I mentioned recently bought a 400 dollar pair of shoes but the problem is that they don't look any different from a 150 dollar pair.

I would prefer to spend the extra money on things that matter to me more, living in a nice apartment, beer, traveling, condoms, you know the real important stuff Smile
I probably spend £1000 per month on clothes (excluding suits) and shoes. Usually in a couple of splurges before winter and summer. Every retailer here has seasonal sales as the products hit now, not just at the end of season.

Why not?

It's important to look good for business as well as pleasure.

If you look expensive, you feel expensive and face to face work is more productive.

Over coats, jackets and shoes are where the bulk of the money goes for me.

Other than a man's car, watch, leather goods and clothes, not much else requires investment really from an image perspective.

Oh, I forgot an umbrella. Always invest in a good quality umbrella!
200 a month MAX but I don't think its even that high.. 150 average for this year seems about right for me.

I buy less but pricer higher quality items that last longer or years. Wont buy junk leather boots for $60 or 80 but rather $300 or so. Pieces like that.

Working from home and not having nearly as much social contact as previous years has dented my spending on clothes alot as well. When you arent dating/clubbing or interacting as much as before with people the need for fresh gear just goes down.
I do most of my shopping on 2/3 outings and spend about $1000 overall. So divided by 12 a bit less than $100 per month

On a side note I hate when you buy some good clothing or shoes but by the time you find out it fits you well, is comfortable or gets you heat from the girls, you want to buy a newer version but it's discontinued by the manufacturer lol
I wear V-necks and jeans typically. That means my purchases last for years and are cheap when I purchase them in the first place. Clothing budget is extremely low because I have no reason to increase it. Now if I wanted a suit or something nice I could go out tomorrow and blow as much as I wanted on it.
I don't spend regularly but I do like to fork out a bit more for quality clothing that lasts.

I'm all about chinos with a good shirt and blazer.Don't usually wear a proper suit for work, these have a great way of making me look like a suburban dad. I like to pick up clothes when I travel, in certain countries I find they fit me a lot better. Got some sweet chinos in Sweden last year.

Other than this type of thing I have an extensive collections of cheap plain tees, tracksuit pants and wife beaters.
I think i spend less than $50 a month on clothes. But i also live in 3rd world countries. In colombia, if i wore expensive clothes, i would be approached with sad stories or beggars nonstop. I would also target myself to be robbed. I dont dress like a local, but i dress in basic clothes that make me comfortable so it looks like i have no money when in public. plane fitted tshirts($10) and jeans or shorts if its warm. I dress neat, but very cheap and basic clothes. Nothing expensive. Dressing up with expensive clothes here , will create jealously and make some people hate you simply out of jealously. Not recommended to spend a lot on clothes here...

If i lived in the west, than of course it would be different
On a strict average, I'd say €50 per month or less over the past 3 years, including footwear and accessories.

The trick is to buy wisely, and stick to classic styles so that your ependiture shouldn't vary regardless of income.

Overclothing, suits, jackets and knitwear should be the most constant items in your wardrobe. Ergo, a £3.000 suit should go much further in mileage than a £500 one. Likewise, one that came from Savile Row should be way more durable in terms of style than a Zara suit. A suit that has two pairs of trousers will also last longer and you can wear the trousers with casual clothing.

The same would apply to footwear. 

The biggest change to my wardrobe over the past year would've been casual button-up shirts, of which all the ones I own were bought during that time. On the other hand, I've sold or given away the same amount of shirts due to damage or having grown out of them. I've had the same T-shirts that I own for years due to them being classic designs.

Socks and underwear should be the biggest variance in clothing purchases IMO, due to the fact that they'd wear out faster. Possibly sports and exercise gear too.

Probably the biggest decision-making calculus to my clothing purchases is the fact that I'm living in a country not my own, and there's a spectre of wanting to move somewhere else in the near future. Travelling frequently makes you realise that less is more, when you realise there's no need to pack a shitload of clothing for a long weekend trip.
(09-22-2020, 07:13 AM)6Foot Wrote: I think i spend less than $50 a month on clothes. But i also live in 3rd world countries. In colombia, if i wore expensive clothes, i would be approached with sad stories or beggars nonstop. I would also target myself to be robbed. I dont dress like a local, but i dress in basic clothes that make me comfortable so it looks like i have no money when in public. plane fitted tshirts($10) and jeans or shorts if its warm. I dress neat, but very cheap and basic clothes. Nothing expensive. Dressing up with expensive clothes here , will create jealously and make some people hate you simply out of jealously. Not recommended to spend a lot on clothes here...

If i lived in the west, than of course it would be different

This is a great point. In some places it's worth dressing down.
Do you guys dress always the same colors? I've noticed all my clothes are black, grey, white, navy blue. Doesn't bother me but some special days I'm like yeah I wanna dress differently but no, my only choices are the usual suspects.

- white sneakers, black sneakers, grey sneakers
- black pants, blue pants, grey pants
- white tshirt, black tshirt, grey thirt, blue tshirt
- I also am the proud owner of a navy blue sweater
(09-22-2020, 11:29 PM)tobacco Wrote: Do you guys dress always the same colors? I've noticed all my clothes are black, grey, white, navy blue. Doesn't bother me but some special days I'm like yeah I wanna dress differently but no, my only choices are the usual suspects.

- white sneakers, black sneakers, grey sneakers
- black pants, blue pants, grey pants
- white tshirt, black tshirt, grey thirt, blue tshirt
- I also am the proud owner of a navy blue sweater

Do you own any shoes that don't exist solely for athletic activities?
I'll never forget the first day I got a navy blue sweater, proudest day of my life
Yeah the black shoes are low-top converses. Thinking about upgrading to high-tops
Unless you're like 19, you should probably upgrade your shoe game a little more than low -> high tops haha. Wearing sneakers and converse/vans everywhere just looks juvenile post-college, especially in big cities. Even in smaller cities, you can stand out in a good way by wearing some decent-looking boots. Allen Edmonds and Clarks are two brands you can't really go wrong with as a starter boot.
It's easy to trick yourself into thinking clothes don't matter but girls are perceptive. One successful day game bang told me my shoes were the first thing she noticed.
In usa maybe boots are more maintream (as well as big trucks etc) but in Europe it's more about sneakers almost nobody wears boots
(09-23-2020, 09:45 AM)tobacco Wrote: In usa maybe boots are more maintream (as well as big trucks etc) but in Europe it's more about sneakers almost nobody wears boots

Do people have misconceptions about boots being dressy? 

This is a boot. 

[Image: P00486473_d2.jpg]

It's no more formal than a sneaker, you'd never wear it for any sort of dressy occasion.

This is also a boot:

[Image: shoepassion_6715-05.jpg]
Completely different creatures. 

You can wear it to any event that requires a suit, it looks indistinguishable from a dress shoe from the ankle downwards, and looks way more grown up than a pair of sneakers. Europeans wear sneakers often but not all the time.
(09-22-2020, 11:29 PM)tobacco Wrote: Do you guys dress always the same colors? 

I think it's common to settle a look that works for you.  Some colors simply will not look ideal for your skin tone or age.  Sounds like you have this issue sorted out.  I tend to favor shades of blue and earth tones quite a bit.