Early Retirement / Financial Independence
Floridaman, in Europe we can focus on life after a work day, in the US you focus on the next day issue after your work. In all honesty, we all only live once, which style do you prefer?
(08-19-2020, 02:27 PM)floridaman Wrote: Frankly your posts read like a guy who couldn't handle the meritocratic work culture here

lol
(08-19-2020, 02:41 PM)El Puto Loco Wrote: Floridaman, in Europe we can focus on life after a work day, in the US you focus on the next day issue after your work. In all honesty, we all only live once, which style do you prefer?

It's not an either/or scenario. Any American that's not retarded could be financially independent if they set their mind to it within 10 years. Plenty of high paid work and business opportunities for the qualified and motivated. 

Much more difficult to create significant wealth in Europe. The whole system is really rigged against it from the taxes to the tall poppy syndrome in the culture. 

Is the situation better there for the mediocre middle class joe? Maybe. But who'd want to be in that category in the first place.

(08-19-2020, 02:53 PM)churros Wrote:
(08-19-2020, 02:27 PM)floridaman Wrote: Frankly your posts read like a guy who couldn't handle the meritocratic work culture here

lol

What exactly do you disagree with?

Words most motivated and capable people come to the U.S because that's where they'll get compensated the most. Nothing to debate there.
Agreed, 10 years is more than enough time to achieve financial independence in the U.S. big cities.  I have some tradesmen types doing work on my properties and those guys are making good money ($100K+/yr) but I'd have to say that they are undisciplined (or lack knowledge) regarding how to leverage that income into financial independence.  From what I see, a lot of it has to do with eating/eating out too much for them and their families and they buy expensive toys like 4 wheelers, multi-thousand dollar tool collections and so on.
if any poorfags at the bottom want to start a mastermind group let me know. I really want to fix this area of my life.
I can also say it's possible to become financially independent in the US within ten years because I did it myself.

To quote Mr. Money Mustache:
Quote:If you want to retire within 10 years, the formula is right there in front of you – simply live on 35% of your take-home pay
Details on the math: https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/...etirement/
If you haven't met anyone, I'll assume you're lying (h/t to Teedub from the old forum)
(08-19-2020, 02:27 PM)floridaman Wrote: Ok, former soviet states and countries behind the iron curtain if you're going to get autistic about it. Most of the countries you listed.

My point about trade gigs here is 100% valid and obviously something you know nothing about. 

Frankly your posts read like a guy who couldn't handle the meritocratic work culture here and tuck tailed back to Europe where you can clock in until retirement without ever having added to the bottom line of a company. That's perfectly fine by the way. Not everybody is cut out for a competitive work place.

You used a term - "Soviet states" - which has a very well defined meaning. If you're unclear about the meaning thats on you. Most of the listed countries also weren't behind the Iron Curtain either though: Malta, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, Italy, Finland, Luxembourg, Belgium, Sweden, Ireland, the Netherlands etc.. Feel free to keep attempting to move the goal posts, but you're really not doing yourself any favours.

Frankly your posts read like someone who either received a very sub-par education or whos a bit dim. Neither of those is your fault mind you, but you really should refrain from repeatedly making ridiculous posts that expose that. Out of your 10 total posts on this forum a plurality at this stage have been posting "facts" on this thread that were proven completely factually incorrect.

(08-19-2020, 02:14 PM)WombRaider Wrote: That option is closed off to almost all Americans. A few people have a coveted skill and can get hired or transferred to a position in Europe. And a few people marry Europeans. What about the rest of us?

A lot of Americans think that but its actually a lot easier than you might expect. Any American with an Italian ancestor can claim an Italian (ie EU) passport that gives them the right to live and work in the EU - thats approx 17million Americans who identify as Italian-American. And many millions more who have an Italian ancestor somewhere in the family tree but who're unaware of it.

Any American with an Irish grandparent can claim an Irish passport, with the same EU live/work rights. There are 33 million Irish-Americans - not all with as recent an ancestor mind you, but a good chunk who do have one. Poland is the same grandparent deal, for the 9million Polish-Americans.

etc. Lots of other EU countries offer similar. There are really a surprising amount of ways to claim EU citizenship these days if you come from a colonial nation that was populated by European immigrants.

If you're a rare American who really can't trace an ancestor back in any of these ways it does get harder, but its still not impossible. If you get a decent job in any large multinational finance/tech corporation its very possible to get an internal transfer to the EMEA HQ (usually in Amsterdam/London/Dublin) once you're a few years in the firm. I work with a couple of American guys who've done just that. Or, yeah, marriage if you're really desperate.

Basically...if you want to make it happen, it is almost certainly doable.
^ yes, Zatara is correct. Also techies have the option of landing a gig someplace that will sponsor their visa. It’s a hot field and there’s many companies all over Europe willing to sponsor talent. Of course tech wages in Europe generally aren’t as high as in the US, but if one really wanted to get the hell out it’s an option.
(08-19-2020, 08:49 PM)AmericanAnon Wrote: if any poorfags at the bottom want to start a mastermind group let me know. I really want to fix this area of my life.

That wouldn't be a "mastermind group." It would be the blind leading the blind.

I've become pretty apathetic regarding guys who say they want to earn more money. I earn six figures doing an relatively enjoyable job that requires no specific education (beyond an undergraduate degree). Most of my advice would be applicable to anyone with ambition, above average intelligence and a willingness to sacrifice in the short term for a beneficial long term outcome.

I am an unaware of anyone (who was seeking to earn more money) ever acting on any of my advice. All the youngsters these days are looking for an easy way to make money that will require less than 6 months of effort. They immediately reject any suggestions that conflict with their expectation that they can just waltz into a high paying, location independent gig without taking anytime to actually build some skills.

If you want to make real money, there's definitely a way to get there, but I'm guessing that you're probably not willing to work that hard.

(08-19-2020, 04:21 PM)floridaman Wrote: It's not an either/or scenario. Any American that's not retarded could be financially independent if they set their mind to it within 10 years. Plenty of high paid work and business opportunities for the qualified and motivated. 

Have you achieved this?
Suits you are quite right, i see my few and far between younger friends they really never want to work hard, they just want the money to fall from the tree and they're willing to put the bucket underneath the tree but nothing more
@Suits

Yes. I no longer have to work. Though I maintain a couple passion projects of which one is quite profitable.

(08-20-2020, 11:47 AM)JsElysianEagle Wrote: ^ yes, Zatara is correct. Also techies have the option of landing a gig someplace that will sponsor their visa. It’s a hot field and there’s many companies all over Europe willing to sponsor talent. Of course tech wages in Europe generally aren’t as high as in the US, but if one really wanted to get the hell out it’s an option.

Not generally as high is an understatement. 

Europe tech salaries are miles off what any competent IT guy could make in the US. And their tech scene is 2nd rate because of it.
(08-20-2020, 11:47 AM)JsElysianEagle Wrote: ^ yes, Zatara is correct. Also techies have the option of landing a gig someplace that will sponsor their visa. It’s a hot field and there’s many companies all over Europe willing to sponsor talent. Of course tech wages in Europe generally aren’t as high as in the US, but if one really wanted to get the hell out it’s an option.

I must agree with this, but with caveats. I've posted about him before, but I knew an American in Poland who worked for one of the big tech companies. He got the job after doing another degree in Western Europe though, so no, he did not transfer within the company. I should also add that he got a degree from one of the best (not to mention most expensive!) tech universities in the US, so he is an outlier there.

And also yes, he transferred within the company back to the US, partly due to salary and lack of promotion opportunity.

But, if you're not in tech, like I was (internal company finance), getting transferred, even within a Fortune 500 company, from the US to Europe is so competitive, that you'd be better off putting your efforts elsewhere. And that's assuming you can even get into such a company as a guy, when I personally observed such a company "diversity hiring and promoting" women, especially including one who didn't hide the fact that she slept her way up. And even at such a company, you can really only spend a few years abroad before a lack of promotion opportunities, or just pressure to rotate back to the US for company internal political reasons, sends you back.

It should also be noted that getting citizenship by descent in Europe can take years. I knew an Italian-American and a Polish-American who fell in this bucket. I've heard it's faster if you're in the country you're trying to get citizenship in, but if the point of getting that citizenship is to work there, my guess is you'll just have to dip into your savings and investments to live there, assuming they give you a visa to stay there that long.
If you haven't met anyone, I'll assume you're lying (h/t to Teedub from the old forum)
(08-20-2020, 05:09 PM)floridaman Wrote: @Suits

Yes. I no longer have to work. Though I maintain a couple passion projects of which one is quite profitable.

Good stuff.

Sounds like there is a lot you could contribute here.