How important is income really?
OP,

You question is ENTIRELY subjective.

How important money and career is to someone depends squarely on how much they need or value those things.

Some dudes are perfectly content living a frugal minimalistic lifestyle and want to focus their energy on other things besides work/career.

Some dudes are unhappy with a frugal minimalistic lifestyle and want focus their time and get personal validation / fulfillment on career and building bankrolls.
How important is income to what? Banging girls?

Depends how old you are and what your taste in women is like.

Let me tell you about my retirement plan. If I don't make it to riches or fame in this world or find a girl to be the mother of my children(both which is looking more and more unlikely by the day) what I'm going to do is go set myself up in a 3rd or 4th tier city. I'm gonna get myself a little shithole apartment, you know keep it clean. It'll be alright, but it'll be apparent to anyone that looks I have no real money. I'm going to make sure I'm set up right next to some dope boys.

Then I'm gonna roll around town in an old Cadillac or an old Lexus or old Lincoln(if times are tough). And I'm gonna carry with me a little baggy of the old white devil on me and proposition every methy looking 18-25 year old I can. Fuck I'll go to Narcotics anon and sex addicts anon and spit my game there, I won't give a fuck if I have one foot in the grave already. I guarantee you I'll pull ass, and that's that. Sure their feet may stink but we'll throw em in the shower and call it a day. I can do this with a present day $1000 a month USD budget and run through probably 5-10 girls a month.

So does income matter? Yeah, it does. What kind of quality are you after? I've bagged some model tier women in my early 20s while being broke an and asshole that I probably couldn't when I'm 35. What kind of quality are you after? How picky do you want to be? You wanna bang hot-but-unstable bag whores in your 50s? Fuck man, I don't and I'm going to do everything in my power to not do that. But if it comes to it? Shit, you read my plan
It's 100% subjective, that's why I asked. Curious to know what the consensus is amongst guys scattered across the globe.

For context I have spent a good number of years trying to max out my earnings, and am in the process of changing my career trajectory now, thinking about what I want to be doing with myself going into middle age. And I really don't want to be in an office any longer than I have to be.

Any more income would be nice to have, but I don't see it making my life any better.

(08-13-2020, 06:30 AM)Pavlov\s dog Wrote: You wanna bang hot-but-unstable bag whores in your 50s?

I kinda do now
You're crazy, I fucking don't. Why wait then? You can execute my retirement plan right now.

Also according to the world happiness index your income after about 80k a year in America has strong diminishing returns on it's effect to your happiness. Something you might think about. It's something I don't have to think about because I'm nowhere near that
Just fuckin around mate
Being poor at 20 is acceptable, at 30 it isnt.
(08-13-2020, 06:38 AM)Pavlov\s dog Wrote: You're crazy, I fucking don't. Why wait then? You can execute my retirement plan right now.

Also according to the world happiness index your income after about 80k a year in America has strong diminishing returns on it's effect to your happiness. Something you might think about. It's something I don't have to think about because I'm nowhere near that

All this meanings is that once you’re earning over $80K, don’t spend more than that and save/invest the rest so that you can maintain that $80K lifestyle till the end of your days. I earn six figures, but I live on probably about $50K because I don’t need more than that to be happy. But I’m happy to earn the extra money because that’s what is buying my future freedom.
Theres no point in working 40+ hours a week, for 50 weeks a year, just to earn as much money as possible the way most Americans aspire to. You can't actually enjoy your money or live a balanced life, you're married to your job. Your relationships, friendships, fitness etc all suffer terribly - nevermind the lack of opportunity to travel.

Theres also no point in being a jobless hippie who has all the free time in the world, but can't afford to actually own anything nice / do anything fun though. Once you're over 30 especially you really don't want to be worrying about having money to do nice things, both for yourself and in terms of supporting a family and attracting the right kind of girl. No smart/good looking/sane middle class girl is going to settle for a bum, they all want to at the very least keep the same lifestyle standard they grew up with.

You just need to find a balance. For me thats having a good white collar job in Europe. I work about 38 hours a week now and get 7 weeks of paid vacation leave that I have to take every year. I also have a comfortable middle class income. Not balling out by any stretch, and lower than I earned when I lived in America. But more than enough to have a very comfortable lifestyle here, and to take both two three week, long haul, holidays a year and 2-3 long weekend city breaks. And still have a few vacation days leftover for weddings, family stuff etc.

Its just about having enough income to do fun things, and enough free time to do them in.
In my current area of the world.... It doesn't seems to matter in the slightest to women here. As long as you reach a minimum standard (and its low) its enough for them to date and fuck you.

You can live with roommates until 30 at least (maybe even longer) and be a sales rep at a low paying bullshit no-name company and bang 8s here as long as you are "cool" and fit the look that they want.

Of course there are gold diggers like everywhere else but by and large women don't care about money/ambition at all in Western Europe. Personality, Social Status and Looks are KING.

in German... "hauptsache.. er sieht gut aus"
Yeah for me personally making money is very important, as it gives you options, as was said earlier.

But for getting girls I don't really see how it helps you much here in my location. Yeah you have to meet a certain base-level, but that's not very hard. Then your coolness, clothing style, lifestyle, fame, and looks come into play. Money can help in as much as it enables you to get cool clothes, work on cool projects that help you to connect with cool people etc.

It's maybe a bit different when you're super rich, like 20+ Million, then you can definitely impress people (girls) with your lifestyle. But that's obviously only a tiny number of people.

I'm in Western Europe though, I can imagine in China or Russia it's different. These places are super capitalistic, and I do think money helps quite a lot there. Also the whole sponsoring thing is a lot more widespread and normal there.

I once knew a girl who was quite hot who dated a guy who literally worked as a dishwasher at a restaurant. But he was also a rapper (obviously making 0$ with this) and looked quite cool. I would not say he looked particularly "good", but he had a cool style. But for a girl it's simply a more exciting experience sitting with him in a basement studio while he records a song, smoking blunts with his rapper friends, and then going to some underground party where the guy does some freestyle rap session than going to an upscale restaurant with a boring guy. Of course you don't have to be boring if you make good money, obviously you can also be a cool guy while having a high-profile job, but I'm just saying that the money itself is not really that much of a draw.
@ Kir Diesel it depends, in my experience. For one night stands/short term flings yeah women in wealthy parts of Europe especially won't care about income, its all about looks/game because they're already financially comfortable by themselves. But when it comes to a long term relationship, settling down together, buying a house, having a family etc they definitely do.

I don't mean in a golddigger sense of "the guy must be a baller and provide for me" for middle class girls, but just in a sense of "the guy must have a stable job, a decent income, and isn't going to drag me down. Hes going to be a reliable father/husband".

Every sociological study I've read (and all of my anecdotal life experience with female friends/family etc agrees) that women very rarely marry down educationally/socially. Its incredibly rare to find a female solicitor married to a male mechanic for example. Nevermind to a complete bum with no job.
(08-13-2020, 06:38 AM)Pavlov\s dog Wrote: ...income after about 80k a year in America has strong diminishing returns on it's effect to your happiness...

Exactly. For me "minimal" income is the minimal amount needed to be happy. And after that, you're burning the time that you could be using to be happy. Kind of like a cup full of water. Pouring additional water in to the cup after it is full is not going to make it more full. Once it is full, you should stop pouring water in it and drink it.

(08-13-2020, 03:38 AM)Suits Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 02:13 AM)Mister Happy Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 03:24 AM)Suits Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 02:13 AM)Mister Happy Wrote: Career is a boner killer.

I’m sure there’s a guy out there who is both old and poor and bangs 8s in the regular, but I suspect that is rather unusual.

Winning at life is having enough money when you’re old so that you have the freedom to live comfortable AND score with quality women.

If you need $150,000 to pay 5's in China, then I suppose career could be very important and your social life wouldn't be much of a loss lol.
Naturally if you have no luck in your youth, you will fear that old age will be even harder. Do what you have to do bro to succeed Smile

Why do you keep accusing me of paying for sex?

Did I accuse you? It seemed like a hypothetical example. You put that glass slipper on all by yourself princess.

(08-13-2020, 07:05 AM)Suits Wrote: All this meanings is that once you’re earning over $80K, don’t spend more than that and save/invest the rest so that you can maintain that $80K lifestyle till the end of your days. I earn six figures, but I live on probably about $50K because I don’t need more than that to be happy. But I’m happy to earn the extra money because that’s what is buying my future freedom.

A slave mentality, to be a slave today for a future possible freedom. Why not be free today? When will you purchase your freedom? Age 65? 70? Those last years aren't worth that much lol.  Purchase your freedom now slave if you're making so much money. The freedom you purchase now is worth more.
(08-13-2020, 02:14 PM)zatara Wrote: @ Kir Diesel it depends, in my experience. For one night stands/short term flings yeah women in wealthy parts of Europe especially won't care about income, its all about looks/game because they're already financially comfortable by themselves. But when it comes to a long term relationship, settling down together, buying a house, having a family etc they definitely do.

I don't mean in a golddigger sense of "the guy must be a baller and provide for me" for middle class girls, but just in a sense of "the guy must have a stable job, a decent income, and isn't going to drag me down. Hes going to be a reliable father/husband".

Every sociological study I've read (and all of my anecdotal life experience with female friends/family etc agrees) that women very rarely marry down educationally/socially. Its incredibly rare to find a female solicitor married to a male mechanic for example. Nevermind to a complete bum with no job.

Ive found that again looks, game and social status come first and that your financial situation or ambition isn't an "attraction switch" as a part of their initial attraction. It just feels like the barrier is low... You earn 30K to 40K euro working for Hans Dieters Bullshit Shop, have some freetime and you can afford to go on vacation to their typical trendy locations and BAM the financial checklist is fine. 

When you are dating 30 to 35 year old chicks who are thinking about marriage maybe its another story but from my experience they do care.. but the barrier is low there financially too.

This is just in stark contrast to dating NYC girls.. not to say that its better... but ambition felt more respected no matter the age. However, it is what it is and its the game we gotta play.
Depends on location. In Western Europe, everyone has some money, so in general this is the location where money matters the less. (Because of unemployment benefits, social security, minimum wages, everyone has 20 holidays at least a year etc., good protection for employees, free education etc.)

I found American and Russian girls care a lot more for money in general and ambition into men . Asian girls really don't care that much about income either, just because they are not smart enough, you can tell them anything and they believe it. If you're white and decent looking and have an okay job, it's all good.
Money is necessary and having extra is freedom.

Just don't waste your life and health over it. Material goods all have a price but experiences are priceless.
(08-13-2020, 06:30 PM)SpursFan741 Wrote: Depends on location. In Western Europe, everyone has some money, so in general this is the location where money matters the less. (Because of unemployment benefits, social security, minimum wages, everyone has 20 holidays at least a year etc., good protection for employees, free education etc.)

I found American and Russian girls care a lot more for money in general and ambition into men . Asian girls really don't care that much about income either, just because they are not smart enough, you can tell them anything and they believe it. If you're white and decent looking and have an okay job, it's all good.

That's because you don't need the money status boost.  You already have it because being white is a huge status boost in those places.  A better comparison would be to compare some broke local person to a rich local.  I guarantee the rich local is slaying 1000x more pussy than a broke local, and probably more than many white guys there.
(08-13-2020, 07:24 PM)Shimmy Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 06:30 PM)SpursFan741 Wrote: Depends on location. In Western Europe, everyone has some money, so in general this is the location where money matters the less. (Because of unemployment benefits, social security, minimum wages, everyone has 20 holidays at least a year etc., good protection for employees, free education etc.)

That's because you don't need the money status boost.  You already have it because being white is a huge status boost in those places.  A better comparison would be to compare some broke local person to a rich local.  I guarantee the rich local is slaying 1000x more pussy than a broke local, and probably more than many white guys there.

Yeah Asian girls care a lot about money. It's a very money-driven culture. But it's different for white guys in Asia. I don't know exactly why, but for some reason they care less about money with Western guys. But for a local guy money helps a lot. Also a rich local guy bangs waaay more and better quality girls than Western guys with average money.
From my own experience I would say the diminishing returns set in at 70K. At that point more money wasn't good in and of itself, there was always a trade off against higher stress and more time in the office.

It's made zero difference to the women in my life. For the most part they've been content knowing I'm working towards something.

I worked for a bloke who was pulling in about 170K all told, but he was carrying balances on a few credit cards and hit the bank up for the highest possible mortgage. With zero consumer debt and a small mortgage, you can thrive on much less.
(08-13-2020, 07:05 AM)Suits Wrote: All this meaning is that once you’re earning over $80K, don’t spend more than that and save/invest the rest so that you can maintain that $80K lifestyle till the end of your days. I earn six figures, but I live on probably about $50K because I don’t need more than that to be happy. But I’m happy to earn the extra money because that’s what is buying my future freedom.

A slave mentality, to be a slave today for a future possible freedom. Why not be free today? When will you purchase your freedom? Age 65? 70? Those last years aren't worth that much lol.  Purchase your freedom now slave if you're making so much money. The freedom you purchase now is worth more.

I really don't think being forced to live with a cat because you're poor qualifies as freedom.
(08-14-2020, 12:16 AM)Suits Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 07:05 AM)Suits Wrote: All this meaning is that once you’re earning over $80K, don’t spend more than that and save/invest the rest so that you can maintain that $80K lifestyle till the end of your days. I earn six figures, but I live on probably about $50K because I don’t need more than that to be happy. But I’m happy to earn the extra money because that’s what is buying my future freedom.

I really don't think being forced to live with a cat because you're poor qualifies as freedom.

So get rid of your cat lol. Besides you're not poor if you can afford taxi fare for your Chinese 5's. Don't worry bro things will look up.

You're the one who describes your current situation as being one of slavery where one day you'll have to buy your freedom. That isn't how someone who has a huge amount of surplus cash talks. Just going to call bullshit here.