People who earn a big salary (over $150k), what do you do?
Title.

Also, do you enjoy your job and general lifestyle? Is the money worth the sacrifices? Is there anything you would rather be doing?
(08-06-2020, 09:30 PM)Smoothovich Wrote: Title.

Also, do you enjoy your job and general lifestyle? Is the money worth the sacrifices? Is there anything you would rather be doing?

Prob not going to find many (what I really mean is any) six figure earners on this site, but I could be wrong. I think there's a lot of fags online esp reddit (r/personalfinance, r/fire, r/investing, etc.) who love to larp about their lives. All of the ver few people who I know that earn that kind of money are the usual: doctor, lawyer, dentist, chiropractor, franchise owner. Most fags online say they are software engineers or financial analyst/quants. I have yet to ever meet one IRL.

Also, I'm basically a poor fag like most everyone else.
(08-07-2020, 12:29 AM)bootknocker Wrote: Prob not going to find many (what I really mean is any) six figure earners on this site, but I could be wrong.

You’re wrong.

In the D.C. area, you can easily make $120K\year as an IT system administrator (where I spent a huge chunk of my career) with 3-5 years of experience; much more if you specialize and\or move into management ranks.  

Sometimes IT work was fun, sometimes it wasn't.  Depended on management, my role and the client really.  General lifestyle was good but not overly extravagant since I was saving lots of money to retire early.  

Yes, the money was worth the sacrifices.  Now, I can (legally) do whatever I want with virtually no strings attached.  You really only need to work for about 10 years if you hustle, save and invest to set yourself up for a quality lifestyle in the future.  If you have an end goal in mind (Mr. Money Moustache style), then you don't have to endlessly work on stuff (like sitting in an office) you don't want to.

When I was working, I only had short stretches of stressful jobs and took frequent vacations so I didn't feel like I needed to get out ASAP.  Only real regret: after traveling to places where the pussy flows easily, it's tough to go back to a place where it doesn't.
I’m assuming you mean $150k USD. It’s actually not that much at all in expensive cities like LA/NYC/SF etc, in places like those it’s about a middle class wage for a single earner. Sounds preposterous to some people but it’s true.

Now if you mean $150k USD in second or third tier cities then sure, you’d be set up quite nicely provided you didn’t spend like a fool.

Agree with Ovios - once you experience a certain quantity and quality of pussy abroad, it’s difficult to get back into the routine grind upon returning stateside.
(08-07-2020, 02:04 AM)Suits Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 12:29 AM)bootknocker Wrote: Prob not going to find many (what I really mean is any) six figure earners on this site, but I could be wrong.

You’re wrong.

you may be right. let's see who chimes in. so far in this post I'd say we're still at 0 Big Grin

edit: let me clarify that $150k is less than 1% of the global population and only like 5-6% of the US population. This is an extremely niche site but I'm sure people earning that much have visited and registered here but I don't think we have a bunch of rich fags chillin on here and posting..,if I'm wrong I'm wrong.
(08-07-2020, 02:41 AM)bootknocker Wrote:

You’re wrong.

you may be right. let's see who chimes in. so far in this post  I'd say we're still at 0 Big Grin

There are a lot of guys here who earn this type of money or have earn it in the past prior to retirement. At least one of these guys have already commented in this thread.

There are others I know will not post in this thread. A number of Swoop members are very successful, have made a lot of money in private business, hold STEM PhDs, but they are very careful about sharing personal details about their lives and careers publicly here.

Admitting to earning $150K+ on a public forum isn’t a wise choice for a lot of people. At a minimum it will lead to potentially being inundated with PMs from low post count, zero rep members demanding information. People who earn six figures are almost also tactical about not going into details about exactly how much they earn.
^^ I'll bite...

I work for a major US airline and make well north of that as a captain.  Even last year as a copilot I cleared just over 150k.  I paid my dues and worked some shitty paying jobs in my 20s, but it worked out to my favor as I'm only 34 and don't have to retire until age 65 at the earliest.

I thoroughly enjoy the lifestyle because I like traveling and the constant change of scenery.  Airlines are all seniority based so the longer you have been employed the better schedule you can get as well as other things like promoting to captain.  For instance last year summer as a senior copilot I was off about half the month, and when I did work it was usually one long flight down to South America, chill for a day, and then head back home early on day 3 where I would be home by noon usually.  It was pretty awesome as I had a decent roster of girls in Colombia I was fucking on a weekly basis.

2020 however is so incredibly fucked up for us that I don't even know where to begin.  As a captain I am not senior enough to have a good schedule, but there are no good schedules to be had anyway as we are only flying a fraction of what we normally do.  I basically just sit at home on call but they never call so I end up doing other things like day trading stocks.  I like it but at this point the industry has been set back for years...
"I'm not worried if they get pregnant. That is what they are made for. They will figure it out."

-Mister Happy
(08-07-2020, 03:00 AM)Suits Wrote:

You’re wrong.

you may be right. let's see who chimes in. so far in this post  I'd say we're still at 0 Big Grin

There are a lot of guys here who earn this type of money or have earn it in the past prior to retirement. At least one of these guys have already commented in this thread.

There are others I know will not post in this thread. A number of Swoop members are very successful, have made a lot of money in private business, hold STEM PhDs, but they are very careful about sharing personal details about their lives and careers publicly here.

Admitting to earning $150K+ on a public forum isn’t a wise choice for a lot of people. At a minimum it will lead to potentially being inundated with PMs from low post count, zero rep members demanding information. People who earn six figures are almost also tactical about not going into details about exactly how much they earn.

fair enough. I do think the post is general enough that your friends should be able to chime in without exposing themselves at all. Like, "hey I'm Suits! I work with computers and data. I fucking love my job so glad I got a degree in CS instead of some shit major like Philosophy. I have "these" sacrifices but it's worth the money bc I can slay all the poosie anytime I want. And frankly, I couldn't see myself doing anything else."

Now I'm genuinely interested to hear from them.

(08-07-2020, 03:11 AM)el_hefe Wrote: ^^ I'll bite...

I work for a major US airline and make well north of that as a captain.  Even last year as a copilot I cleared just over 150k.  I paid my dues and worked some shitty paying jobs in my 20s, but it worked out to my favor as I'm only 34 and don't have to retire until age 65 at the earliest.

I thoroughly enjoy the lifestyle because I like traveling and the constant change of scenery.  Airlines are all seniority based so the longer you have been employed the better schedule you can get as well as other things like promoting to captain.  For instance last year summer as a senior copilot I was off about half the month, and when I did work it was usually one long flight down to South America, chill for a day, and then head back home early on day 3 where I would be home by noon usually.  It was pretty awesome as I had a decent roster of girls in Colombia I was fucking on a weekly basis.

2020 however is so incredibly fucked up for us that I don't even know where to begin.  As a captain I am not senior enough to have a good schedule, but there are no good schedules to be had anyway as we are only flying a fraction of what we normally do.  I basically just sit at home on call but they never call so I end up doing other things like day trading stocks.  I like it but at this point the industry has been set back for years...

Nice! Rep +1 for proving me wrong
(08-07-2020, 12:29 AM)bootknocker Wrote:

Prob not going to find many (what I really mean is any) six figure earners on this site, but I could be wrong. I think there's a lot of fags online esp reddit (r/personalfinance, r/fire, r/investing, etc.) who love to larp about their lives. All of the ver few people who I know that earn that kind of money are the usual: doctor, lawyer, dentist, chiropractor, franchise owner. Most fags online say they are software engineers or financial analyst/quants. I have yet to ever meet one IRL.

Also, I'm basically a poor fag like most everyone else.

I'm not sure why anyone with some ambition and moderate IQ can't pull $200K/yr if you are stuck in the U.S.  If you are coming from nothing, you will have to pay your dues, learn the game in your chosen field and then just grind.  You could even just stick with basic, non-interesting stuff like real estate and corporate IT work and stack cash easily.

Sidenote: I would have told my younger self to grind more intelligently so I can increase my global pussy options before I hit middle age.

You’re wrong.

you may be right. let's see who chimes in. so far in this post I'd say we're still at 0 Big Grin

edit: let me clarify that $150k is less than 1% of the global population and only like 5-6% of the US population. This is an extremely niche site but I'm sure people earning that much have visited and registered here but I don't think we have a bunch of rich fags chillin on here and posting..,if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

I know quite a few, even on this forum. One common thing about guys who make really good $ is they don't run around posting numbers on public forums. The guys you see bragging about #s on twitter/reddit are usually full of shit and selling snake oil because they don't know how to make $ without getting some sucker chasing get rich quick dreams to send them $. "Those who say it aren't, those who are don't say it."

bootknocker Wrote:Most fags online say they are software engineers or financial analyst/quants. I have yet to ever meet one IRL.

My brother is an analyst for a consultancy firm, he seems to enjoy it even if when he explains specific aspects of the job it completely goes over my head! Previously he was a geophysicist so after his MBA his area is still O&G. Prior to lockdown it meant a lot of travel in the region and was gearing up to regularly spend time here in Jakarta which has now been completely put on hold. As an expat lifestyle is probably preferable to back home, we used to regularly take long weekends away in Asia and now that everything is closed internationally he spends most of his non work time on the golf course.

bootknocker Wrote:Also, I'm basically a poor fag like most everyone else.
(08-02-2020, 07:56 AM)bootknocker Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 07:18 AM)Suits Wrote: Do you have experience running a business anywhere?

Yes, I ran and sold a construction company before getting hired at my current job.

(08-03-2020, 06:58 PM)bootknocker Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 06:21 AM)Suits Wrote: Bootknocker, are you asking for information on where to register an online business for tax reasons or are you asking about options for a brick and mortar business in Latin America?

These are completely different topics.

yeah, thanks. brick and mortar would be my preference in LatAm. Maybe Colombia or Argentina but any country in South America (not really keen on Central anymore) would be cool. I have money to live off of for quite awhile but I get bored easy and need a little business to stay busy.

I appreciate the online advice though too but it's not something I know anything about.

In this thread you say that you are a poor fag but you previously mentioned you had sold your own construction company and are able to live off the proceeds for quite a while?
(08-08-2020, 02:08 AM)JezzinJkt Wrote:

bootknocker Wrote:Most fags online say they are software engineers or financial analyst/quants. I have yet to ever meet one IRL.

My brother is an analyst for a consultancy firm, he seems to enjoy it even if when he explains specific aspects of the job it completely goes over my head! Previously he was a geophysicist so after his MBA his area is still O&G. Prior to lockdown it meant a lot of travel in the region and was gearing up to regularly spend time here in Jakarta which has now been completely put on hold. As an expat lifestyle is probably preferable to back home, we used to regularly take long weekends away in Asia and now that everything is closed internationally he spends most of his non work time on the golf course.

bootknocker Wrote:Also, I'm basically a poor fag like most everyone else.
(08-02-2020, 07:56 AM)bootknocker Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 07:18 AM)Suits Wrote: Do you have experience running a business anywhere?

Yes, I ran and sold a construction company before getting hired at my current job.

(08-03-2020, 06:58 PM)bootknocker Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 06:21 AM)Suits Wrote: Bootknocker, are you asking for information on where to register an online business for tax reasons or are you asking about options for a brick and mortar business in Latin America?

These are completely different topics.

yeah, thanks. brick and mortar would be my preference in LatAm. Maybe Colombia or Argentina but any country in South America (not really keen on Central anymore) would be cool. I have money to live off of for quite awhile but I get bored easy and need a little business to stay busy.

I appreciate the online advice though too but it's not something I know anything about.

In this thread you say that you are a poor fag but you previously mentioned you had sold your own construction company and are able to live off the proceeds for quite a while?

I sold it and went to work. It was a family business. But I'm def a poor fag now.
I work in finance in a large US city (intentionally keeping it vague here) and make more than that. I can answer your questions for the benefit of the thread.

What I've learned is that more than anything else, money provides you with options. I like a $1 taco tuesday special as much as anybody else, but I can also take my girl out for a nice dinner or go on a bender with some friends at a bar without really thinking twice about it. The other day I caught a tire blowout and had to replace the front tires for $500 in total. For many Americans, that could be a bank-breaking expense. As a few others have said, it isn't a huge amount of money, but at $200k you can easily have your own apartment in a nice part of town, spend your weekends doing fun things, take vacations, and save money each year (more on this later).

Do I ever wish I could be doing something else? Oh yeah. If you ever meet somebody working in high finance who has never thought about quitting and becoming a windsurfing instructor in Cancun or working at a hostel in Greece, he's lying. No job that allows somebody in their 20s without an advanced degree to earn that type of money will have 40 hour weeks. As an investment banker, prepare to be on call for 18 hours per day and occasionally pull 36+ hour "shifts". If you hop to the hedge fund side, the hours might get better, but if a company you've pitched to your boss suddenly puts up an awful quarter, you'll be waking up sweating for the next month. (I could probably make a separate thread about finance war stories haha)

I deal with the grind because I believe saving up early and having a big nest egg in my 30s and onward will make life significantly better. If married, you can provide for your children and free up your lady to spend more time with them, and if single, you can jet around the world to exotic locations without worrying if you've gone over your Airbnb budget for the night.

So far, it's been worth the sacrifice. Taking some time off in between jobs for a long trip (or getting an MBA... basically a 2y vacation) can make it even more manageable.
El hefe I heard many pilots are about to get laid off and it's seniority based meaning mostly boomers will be kept. Are you worried?
One thing I realized about people who make six figures or more is that they BUST THEIR ASS. They usually work 50+ hrs a week, are constantly scheduling meetings, answering emails etc.

Personally, I've never had that kind of drive or ambition, but I certainly respect it.
(08-08-2020, 06:21 AM)Dali Wrote: free up your lady to spend more time with them

Or with the windsurfing intructor.

Just kidding. I wish I'd banked like that in my 20s.
Well between 2009 and 2016. I had been working on and off as an external consultant on a contract basis for banks like Deutsche Bank and Credit Suisse. I could only handle the job 4 months at a time. But for a daily rate of 1500 chf it was worth working a few years. After a few months I always quit the job but somehow they always got me back in for the coming year for similar projects.

No I am not bragging about anything. No need for that. It really helped me build up my financials so now I can just focus on living, travel the world and do my online side hassles.
(08-08-2020, 02:09 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote: One thing I realized about people who make six figures or more is that they BUST THEIR ASS. They usually work 50+ hrs a week, are constantly scheduling meetings, answering emails etc.

Personally, I've never had that kind of drive or ambition, but I certainly respect it.

Really depends on your field and your location with respect to average salary.  Once your build up your resume with experience and certifications, you can almost go into coast mode.  It's common knowledge in the federal contracting IT world that mid-level operations guys at smaller agencies/contracts can get away with 1-4 hours of actual work per day (!!) which opens options for language learning or side hustles.
I agree, you can definitely get away with only working 3 to 4 hours a day not to mention that 50% of that work could be remote work from home or any location for the matter. I remember once I even had a contract with Deutsche Bank and was sitting in the Philippines on an island for 2 months working remotely