21 years old - do masters or keep on working?
Mike I'm going to say a lot about my career but just bear with me. Scene in London is very expensive. I don't know how you would find an apartment for a thousand bucks a month. You won't. I don't know going rental rates but if London is anything like New York I must assume rent on single bedroom is 2K 2 3K per month depending on location which is a big if. My single biggest regret is going to school thinking it was the right thing to do. People gatekeep the s*** out of everything now. So I get the desire to have another degree. This just postpones your problems. You're deferring to a later date and then going to have to deal with same issues. You'll just have a degree n more debt and be three years older then. I don't know what to tell you about sales but I really don't think it's a good career but I know there are high-performing people in sales who make a lot of money have no salary, all Commission but that's a very tenuous situation. As far as your work situation I would never tell a supervisor, a co-worker that you want to do better or work remotely. If that is your goal the only move, n this is just advice, is 2 move wherever the hell you want and do your work according to the time zone in which your work is located with a local number they can be forwarded to your in country number and a VPN or VPN service that gives you a residential IP in your home country that way you fly under the radar for the companies automated systems Etc.

Hate to sound like a boomer but if u want to move up, find a company that wants u badly. And get commits from them in the interview to train you, develop u, and then make sure they tell u what the promotion timeline is. If they want u badly enough they'll tell u everything and make the appropriate commitments.

Hey bro you have a similar background as mine. If your dream is to move to Latin America, then you can be there NEXT MONTH, especially if you're above average in sales. Your job is one of the most sought after on the market (cold-calling & pitching your product so people buy). You just have to know how to market yourself effectively because I have no doubt someone with your background could land 2 remote jobs @ $30-35k a piece, total income would be ~$70k (more than enough to work in Latam and open a bar there). On paper you'd have 2 full time jobs but since they're entry level work it'd probably take 20-30 hours a week combined. And you'd be working remotely instead of in an office (way better).

Here are the steps:

1 - rewrite resume to show how you **increased revenue** at current firm
2 - apply to remote sales & marketing jobs
3 - sites like indeed, ziprecruiter, etc have tons of remote only jobs
4 - mindset is spray and pray, once you get your profile up apply to as many jobs as possible
5 - if you can get 5 interviews, you have a good shot of landing 1 job

DM me if you want help on this, I did this exact process.
^ Wouldn't you already have to be business fluent in the local language? OP says he isn't.
If you haven't met anyone, I'll assume you're lying (h/t to Teedub from the old forum)
(08-26-2020, 03:27 PM)AirWaves Wrote: ^ Wouldn't you already have to be business fluent in the local language? OP says he isn't.

The jobs themselves would be American/European based companies with remote positions so English would be fine.

When he opens his bar he'd have to learn the local language but that process would at least get him to a nice 1 bedroom anywhere in SA.
Ok thanks a lot for the breadth of responses on this thread, this is why I like this forum, a lot of good ideas for my future.

What I have decided to do for now is to take it in baby steps, so far I am not going to do masters and I spoke to my job about working permanently remotely and they are onboard with it.

Now I still live with my parents and it’s alright, the only keeping me in my country is that I am close to taking my driving test, so right after I pass there is nothing holding me back.

My plan for the next year is to choose a base with these characteristics: American time zone, good weather, cheap cost of living, decent internet.

I know right now I’m not making tons of money but at the age of 21 I’m feeling really really satisfied. Soon I can be in a Mexican beach town, working on my laptop, having unlimited chicas and good friends. I work 40 hours a week (weekends off) so I have a great work to life balance. The best part is if I live right I can still save £500 a month which would allow me to save upwards of £6000 a year, plus I get bonuses too.

As for finding a better paid job I think that will be the next step but I would say for 2022. For now I want to solidify my presence in my company (which is up and coming) and take advantage of the bonuses.

I think so far the best decision I made is not doing 1 year of masters in something which I have no interest over, whereas when I start work I actually feel excitement selling products to people, i have a natural drive towards sales.
Masters degrees are a mixed bag, and often, though not always, not worth the effort.

There are exceptions.

An example would be a nurse going beyond a BSN, and earning an MSN. Now this nurse is a potential candidate for a Director position at a MAGNET hospital, where a Masters degree is a requirement, and offers the opportunity to earn well into the six figures.

(08-26-2020, 07:04 PM)Mikestar Wrote: Ok thanks a lot for the breadth of responses on this thread, this is why I like this forum, a lot of good ideas for my future.

What I have decided to do for now is to take it in baby steps, so far I am not going to do masters and I spoke to my job about working permanently remotely and they are onboard with it.

Now I still live with my parents and it’s alright, the only keeping me in my country is that I am close to taking my driving test, so right after I pass there is nothing holding me back.

My plan for the next year is to choose a base with these characteristics: American time zone, good weather, cheap cost of living, decent internet.

I know right now I’m not making tons of money but at the age of 21 I’m feeling really really satisfied. Soon I can be in a Mexican beach town, working on my laptop, having unlimited chicas and good friends. I work 40 hours a week (weekends off) so I have a great work to life balance. The best part is if I live right I can still save £500 a month which would allow me to save upwards of £6000 a year, plus I get bonuses too.

As for finding a better paid job I think that will be the next step but I would say for 2022. For now I want to solidify my presence in my company (which is up and coming) and take advantage of the bonuses.

I think so far the best decision I made is not doing 1 year of masters in something which I have no interest over, whereas when I start work I actually feel excitement selling products to people, i have a natural drive towards sales.

I would put together a list of about 5 places in Latin America. Then do thorough research on them. Better yet travel to them if you can before making a decision.

If it where me, id probably relocate to Medellin or some other city in LA with year round spring weather (some places in mexico and peru also qualify)