Let's Talk About Fashion
In my late teens in early twenties I spent every dime on clothes and accessories: versace, gucci, tommy, prada, perry ellis, abercrombie, and all your basic White boy shit. This was in Miami (I don't care if I get doxxed anymore lol I'll prob post a real pic for my avatar) where style mattered and everyone was living n-word rich. then I relocated to a place where people went out to eat in cargo shorts and flip flops so I said fuck it I'm not wasting money on clothes, so for the longest time the only fashion I've invested in has been gym wear and even that is sub par.

I recently ordered the following:

3 pairs of black levis skinny (i know)
Gargoyles sunglasses
5 tommy dress shirts (I never stopped buying these my fav)
2 Champion shirt 2XL (baggy fit)
2 pairs of TOMS
1 Northface sweater 3XL (baggy fit)

*note: I will never buy immitation China shit so that's not an option
*note 2: I have no desire to tuck my clothes in and wear dress shoes or dress pants anymore I did that shit back in the day and it feels not right. I do have 4 nice Calvin Klein and Kenneth Cole suits though

What are you guys coping?
What do you think about this haul?
What are some decent brands I'm kind of outta the loop?
(04-30-2020, 10:31 PM)missionary Wrote: In my late teens in early twenties I spent every dime on clothes and accessories: versace, gucci, tommy, prada, perry ellis, abercrombie, and all your basic White boy shit. This was in Miami (I don't care if I get doxxed anymore lol I'll prob post a real pic for my avatar) where style mattered and everyone was living n-word rich. then I relocated to a place where people went out to eat in cargo shorts and flip flops so I said fuck it I'm not wasting money on clothes, so for the longest time the only fashion I've invested in has been gym wear and even that is sub par.

I recently ordered the following:

3 pairs of black levis skinny (i know)
Gargoyles sunglasses
5 tommy dress shirts (I never stopped buying these my fav)
2 Champion shirt 2XL (baggy fit)
2 pairs of TOMS
1 Northface sweater 3XL (baggy fit)

*note: I will never buy immitation China shit so that's not an option
*note 2: I have no desire to tuck my clothes in and wear dress shoes or dress pants anymore I did that shit back in the day and it feels not right. I do have 4 nice Calvin Klein and Kenneth Cole suits though

What are you guys coping?
What do you think about this haul?
What are some decent brands I'm kind of outta the loop?

Not bad.  During the non-corona times I'd like to pop into outlets every now & then to find designer brands massively discounted from their original sticker prices.  And sometimes you can find deals online as well.  I agree that it is stupid to waste too much money on designer crap unless you're paid to do it or it boosts your business somehow.  I also agree that knockoff Chinese crap ain't an option either.  So yeah I like your approach.  There was a time (when I was young) in preppy circles where North Face brand was all the rage & I see it in your list.
Dunno about the XXL business, but other than that, sure. Whatever fits well and is comfortable.

Half the trouble blokes have is finding something that fits perfectly... and being able to buy it again when it wears out (staple items). Levi's ticks that box.
Missionary what I'm seeing is a high focus on brands. I think that's a mistake.

A guy who knows about fit and colour mixing can wear cheap clothes from H&M or Zara and he will still outdress a guy that is solely focused on brands. The next level is a guy who knows about materials as well. Then you can have a guy making custom made clothes in Asia from specific materials, where he brought the design of of some examples in a fashion magazine, and he will look much better than 95% of the population, with brandless clothes. The same applies for shoes. My best pair of shoes were hand made leather shoes made in Ecuador that cost 65$ (discount price), they lasted years, the fit was perfect and they were stylish. I bought other shoes in the west for over double that money and they wore off in a few months.

Another thing to take into account is international style. You might be looking fly in the US with your custom made nikes and hip hop style clothes or something, but when you travel to other continents you will just look weird to people or like a gangster (which is not as cool in some countries as it is in the States). Imagine a guy wearing Kanye west style or something going to a high-end club in Moscow, the high-level Russians will see him as a clown.

Things that are universal in my opinion:
-Black or white fitted t-shirts (v-necks also) on an athletic guy
-Leather jackets
-Dark brown or black leather shoes
-Custom fitted suits
-A nice watch

Things that are not universal:
-Sport shirts
-Baggy clothes/Hip hop wear
-Skater wear
-Skinny pants, everything related to hipsters
-Army clothing
-Hooligan wear
... Basically, if it belongs to a western subculture, you will have divisive reactions in non-western countries (could be positive as well)

So to summarize, the classical old-style works everywhere, think of those older guys in the 50's all dressed nice. Every girl in the world likes that. It all comes down to who you are though. If you are a guy with obvious weaknesses, let's say for instance you are fat and have an angry looking face. Then perhaps you would be better off owning it completely and go straight all in for a niche group. Act and dress like a mobster or like the Notorious BIG. If you are very skinny, then maybe you should own the hipster style where skinny guys are not seen as chumps. But if you are a normal average guy who wants to cast a broad net to capture those girls all over the planet, then go for the well dressed classical style and make sure you hit the gym and have decent posture.
^^^

all good points. I'll post a pic later...for reference I'm 189cm and 91kg. I just wanted to try something different but yeah that post makes me sound like a brand whore xaxa

edit: I always lose watches (nothing else) I end up doing physical activity and breaking the band losing the watch RIP to all my watches
Toms are for girls and soy boys, I don't think you want to be either of those.
My thoughts are you have like 3 looks. That's all you need socially speaking anyway.

1) The preppy look. You can go quite overboard with it. Dark neutral levis or khaki-type pants. Oxford-style button up or clean AF polo. Driving shoes or boat shoes. Watch, ideally stainless, silver gold, ect. Optional 1/4 zip pullover/ sweater or blazer (navy, have also found great success with light brown).

2) Fuckboy look. White tshirt fitted or black, or graphic t. Torn skinny jeans. Your choice of hightops or trainers. Necklace/ jewelry/ bracelets. Optimally throw in sports wear. Take it to the next level; I myself wear a cross shoulder fanny pack/ man purse.

3) Hipster/ tortured artist look. Band shirt, or neutral tshirt, alternatively in winter your choice of long sleeve shirt/ top. Very skinny black/ gray jeans, ripped or unripped. Scarf, etc. Shoes I am usually a sucker for plain ass doc martins, desert boots, or other leather shoes.

For me these looks are so adaptable and do not break the bank. In addition I have a hoodie/ sweatshirt or two, a fishtail military style jacket, and a heavy camel coat for winter weather. I guess The collection in total cost me 1000usd or so, but the level of versatility i get out of it is astounding. Apart from really buying a lot from one brand I just buy what looks good; i myself am guilty of shopping at H&M, Zara, Forever 21, Express etc. It's more about your eye than the label.

Label worship was one of my cardinal sins and I wish rather than paying high prices I spent the money on trips or having fun nights out instead. Almost no one (unless we talk about rich fashion focused women) give two shits about labels.

Additionally, I think fit is important. So important. Wear your pants right. Do not sag, none of that shit, buy pants that fit at the waste. Do not wear boot cut or even regular leg cut IMHO unless you are wearing boots that require them. Tighter for tops is better. If you can not afford (in terms of your size) to wear the proper size, lose weight. I fucking hate how people wear baggy clothing b/c they are fat. The lesson we can takeaway from our european bros is that you need to not be overweight and then wear what actually fits you. Women notice when men wear correctly sized clothing. Most american men live under a rock so they are wearing L's XL's, 2xls ect. Huge mistake. As far as buying blazers make sure they fit you in the chest shoulders and that you can comfortably button it.

This is a slight tangent but go watch episodes of mad men, and see how their casual clothing, polos, etc fit them. For me that look is ideal:

[Image: Pictures-Jon-Hamm-Set-Mad-Men-LA.jpg]
What is up with all of you guys wearing skinny jeans? They don't look masculine to me.
(05-01-2020, 04:05 PM)WombRaider Wrote: What is up with all of you guys wearing skinny jeans? They don't look masculine to me.

You don't have to wear skinny just wear something with leg tapered.

Apart from 70's, 80's ect, loose clothing does not have much of a place in my book. Unless you are in the hip hop street wear culture.
Fashion is for girls and fags.

Style is for men and classier women.

Conspicuous brand names are for chumps.

Fit, color, and garment quality are key. In that order.

When it comes to The Basics (jeans, tees, bomber jackets, denim jackets, casual oxfords, jeans, tees, plain white sneakers) I really like Everlane. For those who have a hard time putting together an outfit, their 'Uniform' collection provides a good capsule wardrobe that's tasteful and timeless.

For nicer winter jackets and boots, I like whats on offer at Huckberry. Everything I've bought from there will easily last a decade.

edit: A skilled tailor is incredibly useful if you're really looking get your style on point. From making sure that your pants aren't too long and that they fit right at the waist to getting a proper length on your shirts/jackets and that they don't have excess fabric in the arms — a skilled tailor can alter those details and really make a big difference in turning a decent outfit into a stellar one.
(05-01-2020, 04:05 PM)WombRaider Wrote: What is up with all of you guys wearing skinny jeans? They don't look masculine to me.

Skinny jeans usually look like hipster trash.

Slim/tailored with no break or properly cuffed look refined.

Here are some examples.

BAD - too skinny, hugging thighs + mid-part of calves, taper too aggressive, bunching up of fabric at ankles

[Image: upload1786278766582732826.jpg]

[Image: upload9223368955665655061.jpg]

[Image: KIC_331-8401-1659-276_model1?$grid-hol-v1$]

GOOD

(nice fitted profile but not agressively 'tight', NO break at the ankles)
[Image: 13060895.jpg]

(distressed may not be your style but fit is good. jeans maintain a slim profile, the taper is slight, and they drape very well on this lankier dude... if he uncuffed them they'd look like trash because the excess fabric would bunch up at the ankles)
[Image: 37995d32c6bd569c6af211ab621bb48049863a43.smedium.jpg]
In order to develop a personal style, I often find it's more useful to focus on what you would absolutely not wear, rather than just what you desire. This makes the decision framework easier when shopping, searching online, or giving instructions to tailors. 

For example, I do NOT wear any of the following:

- Button-down shirts:

http://hespokestyle.com/history-of-mens-...wn-shirts/

- Distressed or ripped jeans

- Very light blue jeans (i.e. last photo in the post above)

I also do not add monograms to any custom shirts or clothing.
skinny jeans in dryer for second time little too long but should be good. got a defect pair with no logo on the tag wtf
(05-01-2020, 04:18 PM)billydingdong Wrote: Fashion is for girls and fags.

When it comes to The Basics (jeans, tees, bomber jackets, denim jackets, casual oxfords, jeans, tees, plain white sneakers) I really like Everlane. For those who have a hard time putting together an outfit, their 'Uniform' collection provides a good capsule wardrobe that's tasteful and timeless.

For nicer winter jackets and boots, I like whats on offer at Huckberry. Everything I've bought from there will easily last a decade.

edit: A skilled tailor is incredibly useful if you're really looking get your style on point. From making sure that your pants aren't too long and that they fit right at the waist to getting a proper length on your shirts/jackets and that they don't have excess fabric in the arms — a skilled tailor can alter those details and really make a big difference in turning a decent outfit into a stellar one.

Why do many essentially think they have to go normcore with fashion?

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normcore][/url]Are people just like checking out. Yes, I see the utility of good jeans, trainers and basic shirts. But other than that, especially if you are young you should take some risks or artistic liberty with what you wear.

Nothing irks me more than young guys that are caught wearing brooks brothers type stuff, or alternatively look like hipster normcore tools. They are both bad routes to go, when you still have the ability and the young age to be a bit flamboyant or bombastic.  

There's also something to be said about being eclectic. If you buy all of your clothes from one place, doesn't it just make you a uniform wearer in some sense?

I would caution guys that are younger from just buying turnkey wardrobes, because I know all too many young guys, hipster types, programmers, and guys on self improvement kicks, in that order, who dress like NPCs because of the crap they see extolling a normcore, or normcore-lite fashion philosophy.

My advise to younger men would be to keep in mind some items can be relatively timeless, jackets, blazers, certain shoes, belts even-- you can invest on a longer term timeline. But styles and things change. And that's ok. I myself like to people watch and see what outfits work and what doesn't. Music videos for me I also get inspiration from. I can see what people are wearing in different scenes and different countries.
(05-01-2020, 04:18 PM)billydingdong Wrote: Fashion is for girls and fags.

This. Nothing more need be said.
Beginners and the stylish should both read Color for Men by Carole Jackson. The color theory here will help you build a wardrobe that fits your skin tone best, and teach you what you should avoid. It also goes through things like patterns and style rules based off your personality, and other important basics. And for 5ish bucks, it’s a steal.
After talking to a young lady for a while, she told me “Even though your skin is black, I can tell your heart is white.”
@JL

I got a kick out of that 'normcore' wiki entry.
(05-05-2020, 05:15 AM)Rhyme or Reason Wrote: @JL

I got a kick out of that 'normcore' wiki entry.

Thought the 'menocore' section was amusing.

A variation on this concept for women has been called menocore, after menopause ... [i]The style suggests that the wearer is mature and self-confident, that she is not seeking attention from men, and that she has leisure time nd wealth. Because of these associations, it has class connotations and can be stereotyped as the dressing style of a woman who is middle-aged or older and already wealthy enough that she does not need the kind of lucrative employment that would require wearing either a more formal style of clothing[/i]
You don't need a tailor unless you have an unusual body type. If your proportions are average, you can usually get buy with off the shelf clothes. Of course you need one to hem in your pants when you buy a suit.

Quote:Nothing irks me more than young guys that are caught wearing brooks brothers type stuff, or alternatively look like hipster normcore tools.

Brooks Bros is solid, no faggotry there, and their stuff won't go out of style in 5 years. Most good women like a clean cut guy in button down oxfords.
I'm looking to buy a nice winter jacket, willing to spend in the $200-$500 range if it looks cool.

I want something vaguely similar to the military peacoat style minus the length. I don't want one that goes down so far to my knees. And not the puffy plastic liner coats.

And not northface brand because I see people wearing those everywhere.

Are there any niche brands or high end boutique brands I could find something similar to this? https://www.wantdo.com/products/mens-woo...6676878922

I want the military style but something a bit unique that's not from northface or jc penny's you see everyone else wearing.
I've noticed the motorcycle jacket style became popular and I definitely don't want that either since it's so common.