First Destination Post COVID
Where is the first city/country you plan to visit once things have returned to NoRMaL?
I'll honestly go to the first country that will allow me in. It might be some more obscure country in Asia or Africa and I'd be down for that.
Likely Chicago or the American South (Georgia, ATL area in particular). Trying to get a meetup going of some of my RP friends who have never met and who are into game and personal development type stuff.

Hopefully can pull it off.
"Everything I found out, I want to forget."

Someplace where the beaches and bars are actually open.
The first reasonable (ie, not completely 3rd world country like say the Congo) place that has a confirmed fully open nightlife, that bars are actually busy in.

Based on current corona opening plans I'd say that might end up being somewhere in the Southern US like Florida, or else tourist resorts in Greece/Spain.
(04-30-2020, 07:35 PM)zatara Wrote: Based on current corona opening plans I'd say that might end up being somewhere in the Southern US like Florida, or else tourist resorts in Greece/Spain.

Do you think its realistic that Greece/Spain will open up any bars/clubs by August? I have almost 2 free months around that time which I was really hoping to use for a trip to the Mediterranean, but at this point I've written off anything re-opening by then.
I think Greece will be open this summer. 25% of their economy is tourism and they had almost no corona. And they are still in an economic crisis so they need that money. As soon as the EU opens that gap Greece will be all open. I estimate by August.
^^

Shit has to be reopened by July ...Optomistically I suspect June will be more realistic. People in the US are already going bonkers and it's not even May lmfao.

Also...Colombia (any city) here I come!
May/June you will see countries restarting their economy which is the first step. Then you reopen the services sector with bars and restaurants maybe June/July so yeah the pressure on international open borders will rise then, but you need high testing capacity so they can test all the flights passengers of some countries. Yeah maybe July in best case.
yeah I didn't think about them testing at the airport I suspect that is prob already happening. Seems like an easy way to mitigate spreading it. test mfers as soon as they arrive before they even enter the terminal. easy. I just want a beer, fat rail, and senorita on my lap.

PS I dont break the law in the US so shit is boring around here
Spain is planning to go back to 100% normal on the last week of June if there is no major hiccup in the meantime
(04-30-2020, 09:31 PM)Dali Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 07:35 PM)zatara Wrote: Based on current corona opening plans I'd say that might end up being somewhere in the Southern US like Florida, or else tourist resorts in Greece/Spain.

Do you think its realistic that Greece/Spain will open up any bars/clubs by August? I have almost 2 free months around that time which I was really hoping to use for a trip to the Mediterranean, but at this point I've written off anything re-opening by then.

Spain is allowing bars to open at 30% capacity from May 11th if they have outdoor terraces. And then gradually becoming more relaxed after that in terms of measures. Italy is allowing its bars to open from June 1st. Theres no way Greece will be much further behind - they're even more economically dependent than Spain&Italy on tourism, and were in an even worse economic position to begin with before this crisis.

So from the looks of things bars will be fully open in all the tourist dependent regions by the end of June. I'd say mid-late July will be when people start to travel again in Europe, but then might still be a risk to book in terms of nightlife being busy. But by August things should hopefully be reasonably busy.
Probably somewhere in Asia. I'm lookin at Malaysia cause I've never been.
This is the most reasonable summary I’ve seen- I think a lot of countries would still want to salvage what’s left of the summer season (otherwise economies will get really more screwed than they already are), I reckon by the end of June, places will start to open up and by July/August around 30% of normal capacity (the lower numbers due to some restrictions still in place/lack of money/fear factor will play into some people avoiding travel this year).
Just to add to my above post - I went off and checked the opening up timeline for a few other countries too when I had a chance because I was curious. There've been a few announcements this week:

Greece - Bars are opening June 1st, hotels are reopening June 15th, and international flights resuming late June.
Portugal - Bars are June 1st, hotels are allowed to open already (but presumably mostly closed due to no demand).

So broadly similar to Italy & Spain - that timeline seems to be the Mediterranean template essentially.
First place I’m planning to hit is the south of Croatia and Montenegro around Budva- already have (dirt cheap) tickets booked for late June/early July in the hope that restrictions have eased off a bit by then.
(05-01-2020, 02:57 PM)WillieStyles Wrote: First place I’m planning to hit is the south of Croatia and Montenegro around Budva- already have (dirt cheap) tickets booked for late June/early July in the hope that restrictions have eased off a bit by then.

thinking about rolling the dice too trying to find a super cheap flight and booking after July 4th. at this point I'm an expert at getting refunds so it would be a time sink but most likely coup recoup funds.
(04-30-2020, 07:35 PM)zatara Wrote: The first reasonable (ie, not completely 3rd world country like say the Congo) place that has a confirmed fully open nightlife, that bars are actually busy in.

Based on current corona opening plans I'd say that might end up being somewhere in the Southern US like Florida, or else tourist resorts in Greece/Spain.

Aw man why knock Congo? Could be an intoxicating cocktail of Wu Flu, Ebola, Zika, and boring ol' HIV
Is it worth the risk to be the first ones traveling for fun?

I don't want to get stranded, deal with new crazy customs/restrictions. Places are closed. Not foreign friendly at the moment, and etc etc.
I just feel like a whole ton can go wrong to be traveling during these times. rather wait a bit until there's more information out there and solid field reports

But of course it can he very cheap and exciting to be in the first batch
That’s one of the joys of travel, I suppose.

My only fear from taking the first set of flights would be from underserviced aeroplanes or rusty pilots (perhaps that’s why the first set of Wizzair flights are going dirt cheap!)