Good travel options for the Xmas period
Lets say you are studying or working abroad and have no possibility to meet family in person during this period.  Where would you recommend travelling during the 21-24dec period that's fairly busy with a festive spirit and chances to meet new people?
And how would you structure your travelling plan taking into account other factors like flight prices, accommodation etc?

While NYE has plenty of option, the Xmas period seems pretty dead in comparison. We can sort it by continent to make it accessible to more of us here:

Asia 
Europe
North America
South America
Aus/NZ

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Don't go to Latin America during the holiday season, latinos are busy with their families and NYE is often more of a family thing than going to clubs.
Normally, I would say China is your best bet but...you know
Orthodox Christian FSU/EE countries. Religious holidays (ie xmas) fall two weeks after western (gregorian calendar).

Poland shuts down around xmas ~23-26 dec, even longer. Poland is Catholic ofc.

The Christmas markets there are a sight to behold, one of my fav things about Poland.
Ignore Canadian Flags on Sight Crew

#teamisrael

(04-21-2020, 11:39 PM)Jerusalem Lothario Wrote: Orthodox Christian FSU/EE countries. Religious holidays (ie xmas) fall two weeks after western (gregorian calendar).

Good idea but Belarus and Ukraine have national holidays on the 25th it seems. Do you have particular cities to recommend? It may depend if people from work or unis are returning home or staying till closer to NY as well.

Yes poland does have decent christmas markets, the one in Wroclaw is popular but again it will be mostly families and couples you would meet.

I can add Tokyo and Singapore as places worth visiting, they have a commercial vibe rather than a religious feel for xmas. But be ready to drop some cash.
(04-22-2020, 11:01 AM)james Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 11:39 PM)Jerusalem Lothario Wrote: Orthodox Christian FSU/EE countries. Religious holidays (ie xmas) fall two weeks after western (gregorian calendar).

Good idea but Belarus and Ukraine have national holidays on the 25th it seems. Do you have particular cities to recommend? It may depend if people from work or unis are returning home or staying till closer to NY as well.

Yes poland does have decent christmas markets, the one in Wroclaw is popular but again it will be mostly families and couples you would meet.

I can add Tokyo and Singapore as places worth visiting, they have a commercial vibe rather than a religious feel for xmas. But be ready to drop some cash.
yes but actual xmas is celebrated on 7 jan. My point being, you have shit shut down in the orthodox countries between 7 jan-14 jan. Just like shit shuts down in the west 24 Dec- 1 jan.

There will be much more going on 25th dec-1 dec in the orthodox world b/c people haven't gone home to their families yet.
Ignore Canadian Flags on Sight Crew

#teamisrael