Dash's 2020 Fitness Journal
2020 is my year damnit. Broken arm and 3rd degree burns are healed enough to allow me to get back to an active lifestyle. 

Gonna use this thread as a way to track my progress. As of right now I am 175cm and probably 93kg. For most dudes my height, that amount of weight would look quite bad, but my frame allows for more than normal before it starts to give me pause. However, i have learned that is my limit. 

My goal is to drop down to 70-75kg and assess my appearance. At which point, if satisfied with the leanness, i'd start trying to gain muscle mass. 

Gonna attempt and aggressive cut for the first 4 weeks (2kg loss a week). It will require a 1k caloric deficit. Gonna attempt to use a Chinese hot n sour veggie soup to help with filling full and the diet. 

A key to this is gonna rest largely on finding daily opportunities to play basketball and tennis. Will help a lot while cutting. 

Ideally, I want to do a 5 day workout routine. 2 push/pull days + 1 leg day. Although, starting out I might just do a 3 day bro split to get my body back use to working out. 

The rest of this week and weekend gonna hammer down my diet and activity schedule. Then put in all in motion on Monday. 

Wish me luck.
That's a lot of weight to lose per week, and by your own words you don't look terribly fat currently, so don't be afraid to lower your expectations to something more manageable like 2lbs/1kg per week.

On the other hand, if you're really determined, you could try some really aggressive stuff like keto, 1 large meal per day, short feeding windows/long fasts, multi day fasts a few times per month, plus staying active and doing cardio... the fat should come off quickly. At the end of the day it's all about the caloric deficit and finding the most tolerable way to accomplish it.

As far as training goes, if you aren't currently doing anything, don't be afraid to start doing a basic 2-3 day per week full body calisthenics routine to give yourself a decent strength base and get yourself in the training mindset so you're prepared once you're back in the gym.
Yea, def about that caloric deficit and how to best tolerate it.

Hoping that Chinese hot n sour soup will ease the struggle. I am gonna pile that full of cabbage, mushrooms and other greens to help me fill full even though there is fuck all calories in said soup.

I think something like this would be semi manageable

Breakfast: 2 Eggs + Veg Soup

Late Lunch: Anything Normal (no 1,000+ calorie meals)

Dinner: Kimchi + Veg Soup

Couple that with working out regularly with playing sports and thats a probably 2kg a week loss.

The hard part will be going on dates and resisting eating outside of my budgeted calories.

Lol at going to the cinema and ordering water and no popcorn. Fuck me.
Isn't there a bit of an upper limit to how much fat the body can break down in a specific length of time? I've gone with 1000 calorie deficits before and haven't had better success than with a 200-300 daily calorie deficit.
I also just started my diet.

Currently 90kg with a height of 184cm. I don't look chubby or overweight at all but I want to have a six-pack for once in my life and I am getting to the point where bulking up some more would result in a slight double chin. Also got a lot of belly fat to get rid of.

Goal is to hit 75-78kg.

I already started with intermittent fasting (doing 16/8 fasting) and work out on an empty stomach sometimes. Might add Keto to the diet in a month or two just because I am curious about the cognitive effects.

As for the workouts, I am going for a mix of basic low volume barbell training (squats, deadlifts, Bench press, overhead press, bentover rows) and Calisthenics three times a week + 1-2 days of cardio per week. I want to keep my current strength levels as long as possible + improve my stamina on longer runs.
(02-14-2020, 06:19 AM)Suits Wrote: Isn't there a bit of an upper limit to how much fat the body can break down in a specific length of time? I've gone with 1000 calorie deficits before and haven't had better success than with a 200-300 daily calorie deficit.

There is a limit. Probably varies from person to person.

1-2 pounds a week is fairly normal and a healthy manageable weight to lose a week.

3-4 pounds a week is doable but not easy as you have to really restrict your eating

5+ pounds a week would be extremely hard, unrealistic and quite unhealthy

**Edit: Losing 5 pounds in a week is easy if you do something like a keto diet that restricts carbs as most of the weight lost in your first week or two will be water weight**
I wish losing weight was my problem. I can't put it on.

I would take losing weight as an opportunity to try fasting diets and gain the various benefits associated with them i.e to lose weight and improve your immune system at the same time.
(02-14-2020, 02:23 PM)churros Wrote: I wish losing weight was my problem. I can't put it on.

I would take losing weight as an opportunity to try fasting diets and gain the various benefits associated with them i.e to lose weight and improve your immune system at the same time.

Down 1-2 entire pizzas by yourself everyday coupled with snacks from the convenience store throughout the day and I assure you will gain weight lol
(02-15-2020, 03:47 AM)Dash Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 02:23 PM)churros Wrote: I wish losing weight was my problem. I can't put it on.

Down 1-2 entire pizzas by yourself everyday coupled with snacks from the convenience store throughout the day and I assure you will gain weight lol

I have been housebound the past month or so and have subsisted on McDonalds breakfast, pizza lunch with litre of coke, bags of haribo, then dinner and lots of beer. Haven’t moved the scale
How old are you guys who can’t put on weight? I was 140 lbs from my mid teens until I was 30. Didn’t believe it was possible for me to put on weight... outright said it was impossible. Then from 30-35 I gained 50 pounds. Recently lost most of it.
Quit alcohol and stay mostly keto. Walk 8000+ steps a day. You'll shed it off naturally. Eight weeks likely, based on your goals. You'll feel better every day and that will give you motivation.

Be careful with sports that are one sided muscular wise. Tennis will build muscles unproportunatly.
That's because of metabolic differences -- endomorph (presumably Dash) vs ectomorph (presumably JezzinJKT). The former will only get fatter on junk food, while the latter will only get skinnier (stay the same, depends on the level of advancement).

There is shittons of scientific and genetic factors behind that. For example, when you are fat (say, 20%+ BF), your leptin receptors are basically 'blind' (the insulin ones aren't much more functional either) -- excessive amount of carbs will make you accumulate fat very easily.

Good source for scientific explanations in layman terms would be Lyle McDonald. Yes, his focus is on those struggling to lose weight, but the very "how" -- in regards to these mechanisms -- applies to both sides of the spectrum.

Though, unless out of curiosity, there is little reason to dig deeply into that. Simplicity is (imho) the key.

-Eat less than you should: lose weight
-Eat more than you should: gain weight

^Granted both your work out regime and diet is on point. Eliminating any pre-existing medical conditions and running a full hormone panel would be the next step.
Apparently in Japan, it is considered unmanly to eat sugar. It is for women only. That is an excellent moral standard to adopt in our society.
I am not for eliminating earthly pleasure all together.

I would rather work out and exercise regularly and eat anything I want in moderation vs not eating something I would like to have.