The Vietnam Thread
(03-31-2019, 01:48 PM)Tejo Wrote: ALL tier 1 and tier 2 schools will pay way better than ESL. Your issue is you have no teaching experience. The top schools are not gonna take a guy with just ESL experience to teach at an International school making solid money. Tier 1 will offer a retirment in which the match your monthly contribution usually you put in 3% and the school pays 10%.....

What you don't get is they pay in USD it's not taxed, and you have no bills or costs. So your already winning on currency exchage and They pay housing, electric, wifi, so it is straight profit. My friends in Asia and tier 1 vietnam bank 40-50K USD a year while still traveling and living a wonderful life. While only working 185 day contract.....They are semi-retired living well in Asia. The top schools take effort to get in but it is not impossible if you work on improving yourself and networking. If your in Math or Sciences you will be sought after. 

My advice, since your in HCMC. Why would you not at least go to the Bangkok Search associates international job fair and start seeing what your options are....It would be silly to not even try to see what is out there while your a short flight away. You may just may get lucky and find a school in a tough position. My bet would be without experience most tier 1-2 schools will not touch you, but you never know. And no I am not a recruiter just giving you options. 

Your friends are saving $40k+ USD per year while working as an int'l teacher? What is their monthly take home pay, like $6k/month?

I guess with housing and transportation paid for there really aren't many major expenses in VN.

How much experience we talking here? 3-5 years? 10+? 1 year? 

I take it you can't suck at teaching either. That salary will attract the crème de la crème.
Tejo,

I work 12-15 hours a week and make 2,000 dollars a month with OT available if I want it. Zero stress. I make my own schedule and have a ton of free time to do what I like. Id have to be earning 5,000+ dollars for me to feel it would be worth it to switch to an IS right now. My monthly living expenses are 800-1,200 dollars roughly. I think you mean pension, which is basically just a nice departing bonus once you finish your contract. A real retirement is one that will pay you continually after x amount of years.

I know all about IS benefits. Why do you think I went and got my teaching license in the first place? You can't be a IS teacher and be semi retired. You are working 40+ hours a week. It's a full time job, even more so due to lesson planning and grading.

A marriage visa costs about 1,500 dollars.

I am 95% certain I would not teach in the US.

I have a pretty good pulse on what its like back home being nearly all my childhood friends and school mates are middle class with young families.

It's tough if you are a single earner, but 2 full time earners and you will get by without much problems assuming one knows how to manage money.

I am still weighing my options right now. I will reevaluate things in 1 years time. My main focus and goal for 2019 is to stop fucking around with all these girls just for fun and to find a suitable serious girl that I deem wife material.
Good luck to you, Dash although most of us veterans know you are really misguided and will probably end up regretting all the years you wasted in a dead-end ESL job, when you could have been saving some money for retirement and building a nest egg (all the while meeting hot, available women to meet your personal goals). 

On the contrary, I would not want ANY female that would have a problem with me as an educated guy that has a decent stable job. I have not looked for one wife in a bar or club. I go there for easy bangs. 

LOL! No offense. I don't know anyone besides you and SPED that would term ESL teaching a "decent stable job." Maybe for a 20 year ol smelly backbacker? It's always a means to an end. That's it. And you have the credentials to move on to a great career but for some reason you won't. My feeling is that A. you really don't really enjoy teaching, or B. you're not confident you can make it at a decent international school so you'd prefer to stay in your comfort zone. And you're just naive if you think any woman of quality isn't going to judge you by what you bring to the table in terms of support. 

Which schools in Vietnam pay 4,000+ dollars? 

I can name 2 off the top of my head - UNIS Hanoi and Concordia Hanoi. I wouldn't be surprised if there were others but I can't be bothered to research it. 

Again, the international school teacher life isn't for everyone but you basically put in all the hard work to enter the field and the instead of running through the finish line, you continued the ESL life. Makes little sense.
Hey Dash, 

Not beating up on you, just trying to understand your methods. I will do my best to answer some questions and clear up somethings I think you misunderstood or misinterrupted. I do this as I think the information is valuble and maybe it will help others. 

I think you mean pension, which is basically just a nice departing bonus once you finish your contract. A real retirement is one that will pay you continually after x amount of years. 

No I mean a matching 401K type of retirement plan in which you give a percentage of your salary and it's matched by the school while earning interest in a plan you set up with the HR dept and a financial advisor. You are thinking of a state teacher pension which yes your correct is not offered, but with the high level of savings you invest in a private portfolio(index funds/stocks) and or property. 

Many Int teachers have properties all over the world earning residual income far more than a State teachers pension which IMO will be half of what it is today....those entitlements are gonna keep getting cut or the goal posts moved further down the road...(working 35-40 yrs till full pension). 

You can't be a IS teacher and be semi retired. You are working 40+ hours a week. It's a full time job, even more so due to lesson planning and grading. 

Again correct and incorrect. Yes most teachers are working a heavy week with grading and plannig. However, the semi-retired part is easy to see and I don't know many jobs that have this much time off and include living and traveling options. You sign a contract that usually works out to 185 contact days. There are 365 days in a year. You see where I am going here....

Which means you have usually 7-8 weeks off straight usually falling in June-July-Aug. Many schools also give a week off for Fall break, a Xmas break of about 3.5 weeks, a spring break of 7-10 days, National holidays loads in South America and Middle East also Asia, and 3 personal days, dont forget Personal/Professional development of your choosing in places such as Hong Kong, Singapore, NYC, London, Miami, Rio, Rome, Kiev, all on the schools dime. This depends where in the world you are located. SO to me yes this is a SEMI-RETIRED lifestyle all the while making contacts and networking for further opportunities in other parts of the world. 

I am still weighing my options right now. I will reevaluate things in 1 years time. My main focus and goal for 2019 is to stop fucking around with all these girls just for fun and to find a suitable serious girl that I deem wife material.

Good luck, if you find yourself looking to go another route hit up an INT recrutiment fair. Might be worth it. 

Your friends are saving $40k+ USD per year while working as an int'l teacher? What is their monthly take home pay, like $6k/month?

I guess with housing and transportation paid for there really aren't many major expenses in VN.

Depending on the tier of school and location in the world yes many are saving 30-40K....If you go to an Oil school like Aramco in Saudi or American school of Lagos Nigeria you can save 70K-100K a year depending on experience....these schools are referred to as the "Golden Handcuff" schools....most say they willl leave after 1-3 years and stay longer and longer due to the sick amount of money they are saving. You sell your soul a bit to live on a compound in Saudi and Nigeria but 3-5 years and your set up well financially. 

SEA, China, and Middle East usually are the regions in the world that pay the best and with a low cost of living you can bank good money. 

How much experience we talking here? 3-5 years? 10+? 1 year? 

I take it you can't suck at teaching either. That salary will attract the crème de la crème.

Usually the tier one schools look for a miniumun of 3 years teaching experience and usually a solid international cv with exp living and working internationally at a school with a good reputation and solid refrences. You can work your way up, which is why Nexttrip and myself are telling Dash to get into it now as he is getting older. Build up the CV. 

You have to be good, but more so responsible, and not a dumbshit....but like anything you learn how to get good at your craft. 

Alright best of luck to all....hope this info helps! 
I would like to say something.
Actually whatever Dash wants to do with his life is seriously his own business.
If he wants to mow the lawn and finds it fun, he should be able to do it without any judgements.
I understand that you guys are giving him valuable advice which I appreciate as well.
But at the end of the day, we are only responsible for ourselves.
Not everybody's goal is to be super rich or to buy houses although mine is...
To each his own. This guy has been providing valuable advice on this thread and credit should be given.
Come to think of it, when is the vietnamese audio from Dash going to be posted?

Haha
This thread has gotten into some baffling territory, especially surprising for a community like this.

Why are you guys focused on saving up for retirement? Seriously, who gives a fuck about that? I work a stone's throw from Wall Street when I'm in the US, and I'd rather burn 3k on a weekend with a banging 24 year old than invest it broadly in index funds at and have 20 grand when I'm 70.

Why? Have you guys dealt with retired people? Seen what 70 year olds are like? They're in constant paint. They take a dozen pills a day just to stay alive. Their dicks haven't worked in a decade. They don't understand anything about the world and resent everything happening around them. It's a bitter, frightened, desolate existence.

The retirement meme is the dumbest shit in the universe. When you can't run and fight and fuck, what's the point of being alive? That money's not going to do you a damned bit of good when you're an impotent, old man. You'll still be an impotent, old man.

Enjoy today. If Dash can work 15 hours a week and spend the rest of his time banging a bunch of chicks in Vietnam, it sounds like he's got his act together to me.
For the record, I never said teaching ESL wasnt a dead end gig. I just contested the notion that being an intl school teacher made women moist lmao. A viet chick would just hear teacher, and not.no the difference.

I dont teach period. I have a couple ecommerce shops I run. I respect the fortitude it takes to clock in everyday for a living but I could never do it myself. Whether its in the US or here, its still wage slavery. Youre enriching the business owner for scraps in return.
@Nexttrip

Quote:Good luck to you, Dash although most of us veterans know you are really misguided and will probably end up regretting all the years you wasted in a dead-end ESL job, when you could have been saving some money for retirement and building a nest egg (all the while meeting hot, available women to meet your personal goals). 

Hard to be misguided when you are living life how you want and following your dreams. Not doing things because other people tell you or because other people think that is best for you. My time teaching ESL has allowed me tons of life experiences that none of my friends could even dream of. You act as if I am 55 and at the end of the road and can not save money or do xyz. I got 30 more years of working age left. 

Quote:LOL! No offense. I don't know anyone besides you and SPED that would term ESL teaching a "decent stable job." Maybe for a 20 year ol smelly backbacker? It's always a means to an end. That's it. And you have the credentials to move on to a great career but for some reason you won't. My feeling is that A. you really don't really enjoy teaching, or B. you're not confident you can make it at a decent international school so you'd prefer to stay in your comfort zone. And you're just naive if you think any woman of quality isn't going to judge you by what you bring to the table in terms of support. 

Average educated local earns 500 dollars working 40+ hours a week. An ESL teacher makes way more than that working a fraction of the time. However, when I said that, I was not talking about teaching ESL, I meant in general. Someone who has a decent stable job (decent = average to above average salary / stable = he keeps it) and or is capable of getting one ie educated. As to your speculations, one can't just snap their fingers and get an International School job in Saigon, not one that pays well anyways. My job now is super super cushy. I teach 10-12 hours a week. I have 3 hours of managerial admin usually a week that I can do from my home. I make my own schedule. My company pays me 2,000 dollars of which I only spend about 1,000 each month. For me, I am not sure the transition right now would be worth it. I value time and happiness more than money. A school would have to pay more 5000+ dollars for me to feel like it would be worth the time and hassle. On top of that I am not even sure I will continue teaching after I find as wife. So, there a numerous reasons why I haven't got an IS school job. It certainly has nothing to do with being confident . Teaching is alright when you have good kids and decent admin support. As I pointed out, there are locals here with hotter, more loyal, more faithful and better mothers/wives than men earning 6+ figures in the West. I would try and disregard this notion that quality women only date high earners. That's just silly. She wouldn't be quality if she did that. Now if you mean quality as in she isn't gonna date some dead beat uneducated dude thats irresponsible and can't get or keep a decent stable job, then yea I agree. Although, women have a reputation of thinking with their heart and making poor decisions when it comes to love and men. So, even then Id be hesitant to paint it black or white. 

Quote:I can name 2 off the top of my head - UNIS Hanoi and Concordia Hanoi. I wouldn't be surprised if there were others but I can't be bothered to research it. 

Again, the international school teacher life isn't for everyone but you basically put in all the hard work to enter the field and the instead of running through the finish line, you continued the ESL life. Makes little sense.

Priorities change. I still have plenty of time to do what you suggest ie get an IS job and work my way to a top school. Most the people at top schools are not young bucks. They are in their 40s and 50s. Life isn't a race mate. It's a journey.
(03-31-2019, 04:20 PM)Dash Wrote: I am 95% certain I would not teach in the US.

I have a pretty good pulse on what its like back home being nearly all my childhood friends and school mates are middle class with young families.

It's tough if you are a single earner, but 2 full time earners and you will get by without much problems assuming one knows how to manage money.

I'm curious. What non-teaching job would would you get? Or would you start a business?

Your wife would presumably work in a nail salon. I have heard some horror stories about taking a 3rd world wife to America. Especially when she gets a job.
(04-01-2019, 08:55 AM)lighter Wrote:
(03-31-2019, 04:20 PM)Dash Wrote: I am 95% certain I would not teach in the US.

I'm curious. What non-teaching job would would you get? Or would you start a business?

Your wife would presumably work in a nail salon. I have heard some horror stories about taking a 3rd world wife to America. Especially when she gets a job.

My wife would not work in a nail salon. She would go to school and get a degree, join the military or a technical degree eg dental hygiene . 

As for me, real estate, insurance, military to name a few. Ive got good connections in those industries. 

You hear horror stories because most guys who do that are older lack game and marry girls who are out of their league and are only with them for financial gain. Not to mention them having fuck all clue about compatibility or wife material traits. These dudes typically marry girls young enough to be their daughter who are bar girls / gold diggers that they barely know ie meet online or at a bar and visit x country 1 or a few times on short trips and then decide to get married. They would be in no way comparable to me. 

Come to think of it, even most guys who marry women from their own country ends in a horror story. All my friends parents are divorced including mine. Some more than once. 

I'll take my chances with a Viet girl over a western girl any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Guys who end up divorced have no one to blame but themselves usually.

They marry women who they are not compatible with.

They marry women who do not meet basic threshold requirements eg easy going

They do dumb shit and fuck it up eg cheat, gamble etc

They have shitty game and can't make a women actually fall in love with them or keep the relationship healthy
Trip Report,

Pleiku

This is a decent little 3rd tier town. Has a very nice large scenic volcanic lake. To live in 2nd or 3rd tier you would absolutely need to speak Vietnamese. I went on a date with one girl but her English was very very low. Had to use the phone to communicate. She is cute though.

Quy Nhon

Ive been wanting to visit this little beach town. Had to stop by here before going back to Saigon. I love these little beach towns. This one has a very large seaside area stretching far. Even had a beachside basketball court. Saw a handful of foreigners, but not much. 2-3 traveling couples and maybe 2 older white men. Didn't meet any girls here, although I did get some indexed from online stuff. Didn't want to bother with girls who cant speak much English going on dates.
Speaking of English teachers... I just showed Dash a girl on Tinder earlier who wrote down, "No English teachers" in her profile.  Tongue

Looks like the stigma of being a teacher is starting up in Nam. Dash better get himself a wife quick. 

As for 70 year olds being miserable, why is most of SEA swarming with geriatrics then?  Big Grin

People are telling Dash to move on because if he doesn't he'll run the risk of being stuck as one of those old, miserable sacks of shit still dancing for Asian brats and showing them flashcards of an apple in his 50s and 60s. 

I'd rather work hard now so I can retire by 45-50. Who still wants to be working, let alone teaching, at that age?
Vic,

How about you, have you set an exit date for teaching esl in China? Still plan on being a truck driver back in the US? Ive experienced zero stigma in Vietnam teaching. Teaching anything here is still pretty well respected. Chinese seem a bit princessy, shallow and materialistic, so I would imagine you would experience it before us in Vietnam.

To be honest, id rather teach English in Asia working 25 hours a week banging young attractive women then working 50+ hours a week on the road banging truck stop hookers. Hell, that goes for many jobs back in the States. To each their own. Although, if a guy actually decided to live abroad permanently, id hope by 50 he would have started his own business or some type of investments that generate income. Vietnam is pretty good for that. I know a decent number of business owners.
One thing that guys riding Dash aren't thinking of is how long it takes to vet a girl, especially if you want a mother of your children.

You need at least a year with one before you actually know who she is, to let the hormones and pretenses die down, and all that. And it's entirely possible that you end up not liking her after a year or so, and thus have to do the hunting and vetting again. That's where I'm at now - I had to dump my last one since she wouldn't get help for her depression, never mind acknowledge that she had it. Scary part is the signs didn't even manifest until at least 1.5 years in.

We can't be like the careerist chicks we despise and simply show up at the last minute for a spouse. Granted, as men, we have a longer horizon to find a mother of our children, but we don't have forever, especially if you don't want to be a sleepy grandpa to your own kids.
@262

How did you know she was depressive? What did she do?

I think the time needed varies by how well the guy knows what to look for and how observant/astute he is. Most guys (and women) don't even have a list or things they are actively constantly scanning for when dating. I am always fairly amazed at the responses I get from people when I ask them what type of person they are looking for or what kind of person makes a good partner. Usually super simple and vague. I can tell they have put zero thought into it.
@Vic you  just lie to the chick about being a teacher especially if they have an attitude like that quote conveys, I really wouldn’t give it a second thought. Although Iv yet to encounter it and really don’t see how it will ever be a problem.

As for being miserable when your 50-60 you seem pretty miserable now. Not being a dick as we all have different baseline happiness levels which effects our overall outlook on life massively and it’s heritable. Are you depressed or having shitty results so far?

Have to admit I’m looking forward to thailand during the summer though. I was averaging 3 new chicks a week in hcm since my break up but this last week just got 1. Granted I broke my no fap streak and was exhausted but I also had a few dates that went no where with chicks who were 6s at best. I really don’t have the patience for those types of chicks.
There's been a stigma against ESL teachers in China for a while now. Basically if you want pussy there, do not tell girls you're a teacher. lol ...I'm sure it's been that way in Korea and Japan for decades already. Why wouldn't it happen to Vietnam as the country develops and local salaries rise?

Anyway, I'm not trying to put Dash or his job down. He's got a cushy, good job for Nam. I'm sure when he gets married he's gonna open his own school and make a fortune. He should just do it within the next 5 years. I've seen the same thing happen in China where they were welcoming foreigners with open arms and there were all kinds of entrepreneurial opportunities. Now, not so much. They no longer need foreigners and are trying to make it as unwelcoming as possible. I suspect Nam will go the same way in 10-20 years.
(04-02-2019, 08:10 AM)Vic Vega Wrote: Anyway, I'm not trying to put Dash or his job down. He's got a cushy, good job for Nam. I'm sure when he gets married he's gonna open his own school and make a fortune. He should just do it within the next 5 years. I've seen the same thing happen in China where they were welcoming foreigners with open arms and there were all kinds of entrepreneurial opportunities. Now, not so much. They no longer need foreigners and are trying to make it as unwelcoming as possible. I suspect Nam will go the same way in 10-20 years.

Average IQ of China: 105
Average IQ of Japan: 105
Average IQ of S. Korea: 106
Average IQ of Vietnam: 94

I think we're fine brah. They'll probably always need foreigners.

(04-02-2019, 07:46 AM)Rick91 Wrote: Have to admit I’m looking forward to thailand during the summer though. I was averaging 3 new chicks a week in hcm since my break up but this last week just got 1. Granted I broke my no fap streak and was exhausted but I also had a few dates that went no where with chicks who were 6s at best. I really don’t have the patience for those types of chicks.

How are you doing 3 per week? Just coffee and pull or do you do 2nd dates at your apartment? Meeting them on Tinder or Cupid or real life?

Always curious on the guys that pull off the 1st date pull. Used to do it with uggos on the 1st date, but now I don't bother since it was low %. Don't do nightlife anymore, so that's pretty much off the table.
You I will break down. If I put a ! They were a first date bang. With ratings and keywords and an A for anal since Feb 1st. Would say average is a 6 some 7s here and there some 5s too. Sometimes invite to place, usually go for a beer, sometimes a coffee in the day. I didn’t fap until last week so it seems to have significant effect on my results and definitely effects my mood. Would never do it in non easy country though but highly recommend overall.

Also have some higher quality girls I’ve met several times but haven’t closed yet but should be i imagine this month sometime.

!204 fashion designer somewhat slag only half shaft in Italian accent 6.5
!205 Sara P real estate tight hairy period insta bang 6.8
!206 cute in pics but slightly annoying personality and smell behaved like kitten 6
!207 pinay Tom boy good personality whiskey smash session 6
!208 massive tits milf invited to house bang go vap 6.8ish
209 random balloon bar chick ditched shop wanted quick bang next day 5.7 A
!210 little cute women hong nice trimmed pussy so clean 30s 6.6
211 angie second meet bang quite hot without glasses 6.8
!212 single mum hot body before kid tasty pussy 6.7
!213 cute 21 year old close to Bui Vien amazing riding skills on top 6.7
!214 random milf chick Starbucks strong anti slut defence smash 3 holes 6 A
!215 strange insta bang only anal chick 5.9 A
!216 slutty Instabang badoo feel like shit after because she is chunky deceiving pics 5.5 A
!217 older very clean and decent body bui vien bang Jurassic park on tv 6.4
!218 little Karen swimming pool invite clean 6.2
219 vanna cambodia awesome bang easy cummer qui credit card company 7.2 A
220 d3 awesome apartment but too chunky and I expected a super fresh vag was disappointed 6.3
221 Alissa nice pretty with tasty vag gave swimming lesson 7
!222 chunky but nice enough figure with dress insta bang Duong had piles though 6.3
223 older tiny chick with massive tits easy cummerbund supersensitive skin 6.8
!224 random party girl lush Khmer/Thai fun fuck 6.7 A
!225 nice quick bang very soft 32 after previous meeting with socio/psycho path 6.4
!226 fit Vi awesome taste bang and person 7.3 A
227 underwhelming Petite bang hotel in tan phu 6
228 dumb cunt directions but instant meet bang next day mature enhanced pussy 6 A
(04-02-2019, 11:14 AM)Rick91 Wrote: You I will break down. If I put a ! They were a first date bang. With ratings and keywords and an A for anal since Feb 1st. Would say average is a 6 some 7s here and there some 5s too. Sometimes invite to place, usually go for a beer, sometimes a coffee in the day. I didn’t fap until last week so it seems to have significant effect on my results and definitely effects my mood. Would never do it in non easy country though but highly recommend overall.

Also have some higher quality girls I’ve met several times but haven’t closed yet but should be i imagine this month sometime.

Thanks man. Guess I should go back to the first date beer in that case. 

No Fap and No Porn is awesome for women and business. I've been on it for all of 2019. Honestly, don't see myself going back to it.