The Math, Physics, Philosophy, Architecture, and Engineering Thread
Pythagoras thought the Golden Rule was supreme... for all ways in a good life, and for all time.

Does his assertion still stand in the modern day?

I think, yes, it does.

This thread is for those who love the computational arts and schools, either within or without college.

A pure desire will always lead to where one needs to be.
I have been fascinated by fractals since I was a teenager.  This is a damn good online presentation of the Mandelbrot set.  I suggest deselecting second pass and increasing the workers to 12.  The Cyclic Fire palette is, how can I say... freaking lit : - )

Take a dive:

http://math.hws.edu/eck/js/mandelbrot/MB.html
I recently ran across the Cool Worlds Lab Youtube site.  Good stuff there.  I think this guy is mostly right on.

For the Starmen out there: Galactic Colonization.  The meat of the video starts around the 6:30 mark, but the intro, while sappy and a bit dramatic, is pretty good as well.  A very professional production.

Enjoy getting your brain-sparks hyped.

Also, the videos on the channel (idea origins, clips, music, math, papers, etc.) are about 90% cited under the "Show More" description link -- which is very refreshing.
I just want you to know Helikron, nobody understands a goddamn thing you say
(07-29-2020, 06:37 AM)Pavlov\s dog Wrote: I just want you to know Helikron, nobody understands a goddamn thing you say

Choose your response:

Response 1: Thank you, PD.  I will take that under advisement.

Response 2: Just watch the damn video.

Response 3: New poll: "Do you understand a goddamned thing Helikron says?" 

This is a good Cool Worlds Lab video too: Artificial Gravity --

Choose your adventure. #2
[Image: Farnsworth-House-Ludwig-Mies-van-der-Roh...ipedia.jpg]

Farnsworth House. Built by van der Rohe in Illinois in the 40's. No curtains. A classic as far as Modernist houses are concerned.

//

Can we just call this the STEM thread?

Why do I have a feeling tigermandingo would be all over this shit if it were titled that?

I always liked this one:

[Image: 51c96f7869ec0ce680830a8ee095aca7.jpg]

The bulk of it is underground for steady air-cooling.  All the rooms were gorgeous as fuck.  Back in the day, it was policed and kept safe from fires by a TRS-80 with a good program.  Last time I drove past, it looked like a bomb hit it while all the other suburban homes with their psuedo-lawns, imported from who knows where, were green and lush.  Gotta love those pipes.
(07-30-2020, 12:36 AM)Jerusalem Lothario Wrote: [Image: Farnsworth-House-Ludwig-Mies-van-der-Roh...ipedia.jpg]

Farnsworth House. Built by van der Rohe in Illinois in the 40's. No curtains. A classic as far as Modernist houses are concerned.

//

Can we just call this the STEM thread?

Why do I have a feeling tigermandingo would be all over this shit if it were titled that?

You wouldn't be able to throw stones.
Dragon Crew (Demo 2) is home.  Gladly :-)  What a fantastic sight during 'naut egress:

I hear the speeders speeding....

(07-30-2020, 12:36 AM)Jerusalem Lothario Wrote: Can we just call this the STEM thread?

I'm just glad that Helikron used correct English and wrote "Math" in the title, rather than sinking further into illiteracy by writing "Maths."
Very important philos in these trying times:

The storm that recently sparked Cali (satellite view):

*** turn down the vol if you don't like dramatic music with your info.