Rolex vs. Apple Watch?
I’m curious on the latest opinions on what type of watch you guys wear. I have a moderately expensive watch that I tend to wear out to weddings and special events. Besides those one-off events, I tend to wear a comfortable smart watch. I saw an article on CNBC today that Apple watch sales are greater than Swiss luxury brands.

Not that the watch will improve your game, but when walking into a place dressed nicely, what’s the view on dress watch vs. apple watch? I’m recently divorced, 43 and looking to pick up younger women (late 20s/early 30s).

I tried searching the forums here and didn’t find anything specific to my Q.
I usually wear a Suunto GPS watch that's a bit nerdy but still attractive. For more formal affairs I wear my $250 Seiko pilot watch. I never saw the real purpose of expensive watches... I get compliments on the Seiko all the time.
As a general rule, I would not advice anyone to wear an Apple Watch except for some very specific cases. Just having a problem with general shape of it, the bracelet often looking cheap and oversized face that make it look like a scuba diving compass. They don't look very stylish in general (for me) however useful they are (but still not convinced that having a smart watch while having a smart phone isn't redundant). Maybe they will be popular with some girls in the age category you are pointing (basically mine) but that will be a minority. Maybe in some places in Asia where a famous brand is a turn on, it might work as well with some girls but I am clearly not sure of it.

Doesn't that mean you have to go all the way for a Rolex? Absolutely not. Ask anyone who is the better dressed between a guy a well fitted shirt and pants and another one wearing a black T-shirt with Gucci written in big, sun glasses indoor, hermes belt with a big H and a ridiculously small Louis Vuitton hand bag? I sincerely hope it s the first one winning but at the same time he spent 10times less than the other one on what he is wearing

You have some stylish watches that won't cost you a leg. And as a of design and style they are on par with the (overly ) expensive with which you buy a brand name as much as a watch. Usually the most important is how it fit with your body shape, structure and posture. Basically a huge heavy Rolex on a skinny guy will look ridiculous. Go in a shop and try some to find the one you feel good with and fit well with the image you want to project.
And as a general rule don't spend all the money on the watch as you would like to dress suitable clothes with it.
I have a dress watch that I routinely get compliments on. It's a $20 knock-off of a brand that I (and probably no one else) has ever heard of.

When people compliment it, I know that it's because I've chosen an accessory that looks great on its own and with the clothes I usually wear.

I know they aren't complimenting it because it's from a "cool" technological brand name. Honestly, if I was wearing a smartwatch and received compliments, I would feel like I had "bought" the positive feedback.

It's kinda like having people tell you that you're driving an "awesome car, dude" when you have a Maserati. Well, duh. But it's not the same thing as being recognized for having great taste.
There are certain bands that dont look bad on Apple watches. Id think if you were going to shell out alot of money, may as well get something functional. I cant imagine any girl faulting you for wearing an apple watch or even a nice looking knockoff to be worth your time.
Is having an expensive watch such a big deal? I am wearing an $80 smartwatch mostly because i only need to charge it every couple of months and it does all I need it to do including tracking my sleep and pulse. I don't really care what girls think about it. If I didn't need its functions I would just use my cell phone to tell the time.
(02-07-2020, 03:37 AM)Brodiaga Wrote: Is having an expensive watch such a big deal?

No.

(02-07-2020, 03:37 AM)Brodiaga Wrote: I am wearing an $80 smartwatch mostly because i only need to charge it every couple of months and it does all I need it to do including tracking my sleep and pulse. I don't really care what girls think about it. If I didn't need its functions I would just use my cell phone to tell the time.

In a day and age when most people can't be bothered to wear a watch, I can't see why it would matter, generally speaking.

I'm suited up 98% of the time when I leave my house, so it would be incongruent for me to wear certain watches, so I stick to a colourful, but traditional look. However, for most guys, it really doesn't matter.

Honestly, if you're wearing a watch to impress others, then you're doing it wrong. And I can't see why there would be any reason to wear a Rolex, except to impress others. Even if someone just happened to really be a big fan of the brand, I'm sure there's a more fulfilling way to spend that money.
What about a Movado Museum watch? I know absolutely nothing about watches. I cannot wear one. Because I always scratch them. But I look the look of that particular model.

People bash them online. But I do not care about that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Watches no longer serve a functional purpose, since everyone has a phone in their pocket to tell them the time. The thing with watches for men is it's one of the only pieces of "jewelry" they can wear, be it at a business meeting or going out. That's the appeal of a nice watch.

Rolex is an excellent watch, but some will say it's slightly unsophisticated, because it's the only brand that everyone knows, and so it's the unimaginative choice for a good watch. There are other great brands out there, of the same quality, and you're not paying the price premium for the Rolex name, like Omega and Breitling.

Get a watch because you want it or you like how it looks, not to impress people. Most people don't know anything about watches, and will at most think "That looks like a nice watch" but have no clue about brands, styles, etc. Kind of like women and sports cars -- they can't tell a Ferrari from a Corvette.

(02-07-2020, 10:39 AM)blackfriar Wrote: What about a Movado Museum watch?  I know absolutely nothing about watches.  I cannot wear one.  Because I always scratch them.  But I look the look of that particular model.

People bash them online.  But I do not care about that.

Most decent watches have a crystal sapphire face for the the glass, so it's pretty difficult to scratch.
Smartwatches are for dorks, I snigger to myself when I see one

You cannot set yourself apart from Joe Average with an Apple watch, every man and his dogs has one, and you cannot demonstrate that you are a man of means

Go for the Rolex Submariner, it holds its value very well, and it will give you far more opportunities for business and women compared to some digital crap.
Agreed, Rolex all the way.
Rolex
I have a few Rolex's and other expensive Swiss watches.

I buy them because I am into horology and they're not a bad place to store some cash at the moment (Rolex).

You're kidding yourself if you think anyone, particularly women, will notice or care; unless it's an ott, gauche Rolex etc.

Wear what you like the look of and that fits you well size wise.

Except a smartwatch. As said earlier, they're for dorks.
Appreciate the color gents. Really looking to justify dropping $$ to upgrade from Omega. Check that box.
Personally I just want a yellow gold and blue submariner. Just personal taste and a goal of mines

But apple watches and smart watches are more efficient.
Wear whatever the fuck you want. Just own it. If you're confident you could have a Bozo the Clown watch and girls wouldn't care.
(02-12-2020, 02:11 PM)RIslander Wrote: If you're confident you could have a Bozo the Clown watch and girls wouldn't care.

[Image: giphy.gif]
(02-10-2020, 08:28 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote: I have a few Rolex's and other expensive Swiss watches.

I buy them because I am into horology and they're not a bad place to store some cash at the moment (Rolex).

You're kidding yourself if you think anyone, particularly women, will notice or care; unless it's an ott, gauche Rolex etc.

Wear what you like the look of and that fits you well size wise.

Except a smartwatch. As said earlier, they're for dorks.

[Image: img_0803-1050x788.jpg]

I wear a Suunto Traverse GPS watch 90% of the time. Its useful while traveling because you can bookmark your hotel or vehicle and hone in on it when you get lost. While traveling I tag venues I like and in congested cities it works like a charm. I also am an outdoors guy and like logging my hikes and shit...It keeps me active and accountable with my daily steps and runs so I don't become a fat fuck.

The main reason? Because I'm a god damn nerd. Nerd!!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Timex.
After talking to a young lady for a while, she told me “Even though your skin is black, I can tell your heart is white.”
If you want some cheap but good quality masculine watches which get compliments from chicks and everyone else look at:
Casio Oceanus (now more expensive because discontinued)
Casio Edifice
Timex
Orient
Tressa vintage watches (cheap Swiss made watches from the 80's which set you apart)

All of these are good quality and can most commonly be found on eBay for extremely good prices 30-300 USD