The beard thread
Let's talk about beards. Whether to grow one, how to maintain it, etc. ...

I've had beards a handful of times in my life, but never kept one for more than a few months. I'm growing one now, and I think I'll keep it long term. I don't have the greatest chin, and with age I'm getting a double chin despite not being fat overall. My beard grows in really strong and does a good job of covering all that up, even when it's pretty short. It gives me confidence. The only thing is, beards have been so popular lately that I'm afraid the trend will change and they'll look outdated soon.

I've seen studies showing that a lot of women don't like beards. However, we all know that what women say isn't a good barometer of how they'll react in real life. I also think there are a few beard groupies out there. But it needs to be congruent with your overall look.

Do you have a beard? How have you found that having a beard/being clean-shaven affects your dating life? And other areas of life?
I've had a beard consistently since about 2014 or 2015. A few weeks back I cut it really short, and my face was itchy for the next few days. Last time I'll ever do that. Not shaving is better for your skin. Without a beard I feel like a little kid. It definitely has improved my life overall. Most girls I bang comment on my beard. Just grow one. You'll save money on razor blades in the long term.
Up until the age of 26 I was unable to grow a beard. This frustrated me because my older brother had been growing a full beard since he was 18. I always attributed a beard to manliness/masculinity because of the blue-collar working-class environment I grew up in. Determined to grow one and be like my role models, I began using Rogaine on my face and after 6-months of use, it worked. As I type this, I have a full viking-esque beard that I consider to be a very good look for me. My girlfriend of two-years has known me with and without it, and prefers me to have one. 

One year ago tomorrow I had to shave it in order to wear a Respirator to protect me from some nasty shit I was working with. I felt very insecure without my beard and vowed to grow it back and never shave it off again. I could tell my girlfriend was less attracted to me, but she stuck with me. One year later, my beard is back in full-force and I am very happy with my appearance (and so is she).

Objectively speaking, I look better with a beard. It is also beneficial to my line of work where I lead a team of blue-collar professionals. For me, having a beard increase my confidence and adds to my ability to influence and lead a team of men in a safety sensitive work environment. This confidence extends outward to my interactions with woman in everyday interactions, because even though I'm currently in a committed relationship, gaming never stops. 

It's important that you find a trustworthy barber to keep your beard in the proper shape. Female barbers are typically terrible at shaping beards, so be careful with who you choose to do it. I'm fortunate to have a lesbian friend who is a wizard with scissors and cares about my look. If you choose to trim yourself, get a second opinion afterwards to verify that you're not unintentionally doing a shit job and making yourself look weird. Even woman who "don't like beards" can appreciate a thoughtfully groomed one.

I'm curious to hear from the well-traveled, beard-wearing players on this forum if there's places they've been where having a beard is a distinct disadvantage, or even a no-go for many woman in that country. Conversely, in which country do females desire men with beards?
(11-22-2019, 03:59 AM)Crazy Horse Wrote: I'm curious to hear from the well-traveled, beard-wearing players on this forum if there's places they've been where having a beard is a distinct disadvantage, or even a no-go for many woman in that country. Conversely, in which country do females desire men with beards?

I'd say the vast majority of Japanese (and Asian) broads don't like huge beards. I mean some facial hair is okay in Asia, but in general they like clean shaven faces. Of course there's a demographic that likes beards, but I've had a LOT of people (guys, girls), tell me that a large beard doesn't help too much out there. Personally I don't care and will continue to have a beard. Almost every Asian girl I've ever banged has liked my beard, but I think a clean cut look will get you more milage in rich Asian countries like Japan.
(11-22-2019, 12:18 AM)WombRaider Wrote: I've seen studies showing that a lot of women don't like beards. 

Who gives a damn?

My body, my choice.
Team Beard here, ever since I was 18. Shaved it off once when I was like 22, never again and I'm 31 now.

For my Brit brothers, the best palce to get a beard/haircut is usually at Turkish or Lebanese barbers. Those guys really know beards. I would never ask a Brit barber to cut my beard.
They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...
(11-22-2019, 05:03 PM)roberto Wrote: For my Brit brothers, the best palce to get a beard/haircut is usually at  Turkish or Lebanese barbers. Those guys really know beards. I would never ask a Brit barber to cut my beard.

I believe it.
Best people I've found to give haircuts and to style facial hair is Latinos. In Colombia, most of my haircuts were ridiculously good. Now that I'm back in the States I found a Puerto Rican barber who has been on point so far.
Beards are like chest hair. Chicks are either really into it or they become really into it after banging you.
I always get more attention from girls when I have a beard.
Wait what, there are guys on here who don't have a beard?? Where is my banhammer, goddammit?
I have a short beard. Every time I try to grow it out, I look strange but i can't put my finger on why. It's not the fullest but it's not thin either. Maybe it's not cut properly or maybe some beards just don't work. But I feel there's a world of difference between a long and short beard, and really only the former deserves the name.
(11-23-2019, 02:47 PM)churros Wrote: I have a short beard. Every time I try to grow it out, I look strange but i can't put my finger on why. It's not the fullest but it's not thin either. Maybe it's not cut properly or maybe some beards just don't work. But I feel there's a world of difference between a long and short beard, and really only the former deserves the name.

I have never let my beard get too long. The biker/homeless look does not appeal to my target market.
Clean-shaven all the way. I’ll never go back to having a beard or any significant amount of facial hair.

Just feels cleaner. I’ve also received far more attention from girls ever since going shaven. That was a surprise to me considering the whole “beards are alpha and masculine” shtick the manosphere has been peddling. My unconfirmed opinion is that most, I repeat MOST women want a clean face.

Also if you’re dressed well and you have a beard something just feels off. It’s like wearing sneakers with a suit.
(11-23-2019, 04:35 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote: Clean-shaven all the way. I’ll never go back to having a beard or any significant amount of facial hair.

Just feels cleaner. I’ve also received far more attention from girls ever since going shaven. That was a surprise to me considering the whole “beards are alpha and masculine” shtick the manosphere has been peddling. My unconfirmed opinion is that most, I repeat MOST women want a clean face.

Also if you’re dressed well and you have a beard something just feels off. It’s like wearing sneakers with a suit.

Then you're doing it wrong. Or a beard just isn't right for your face or congruent with the rest of you, which is fair enough. But beard and suit is a killer look if done right.
They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...
(11-23-2019, 05:35 PM)roberto Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 04:35 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote: Clean-shaven all the way. I’ll never go back to having a beard or any significant amount of facial hair.

Then you're doing it wrong. Or a beard just isn't right for your face or congruent with the rest of you, which is fair enough. But beard and suit is a killer look if done right.

Or he can't grow a proper beard. Lots of beard haters can't.
(11-23-2019, 02:05 AM)Agrippa Wrote: Beards are like chest hair. Chicks are either really into it or they become really into it after banging you.

Hadn't heard this one before but can certainly add a datapoint.  Had one ex who told me in no uncertain terms she wanted me to shave my hair in only one place.  

Socially and professionally I've found I get taken far more seriously and have less bullshit to deal from people with since growing out a beard.  

I am trying to get an accurate handle on Asian girls' liking of them, I think it's something that's hasn't been fully modeled/nuanced yet.  Had one Taiwanese girl tell me that normally she doesn't like them "but on you it's handsome".  Gamed on, made a strategic mistake that night so no dice, but enjoyed it enough I'll be back for more.
Broadly speaking, Asian girls prefer a clean face. No need to look for those outliers and you’ll cast a wider net.

I’ve found it to be the opposite regarding friends and work as well. I get taken more seriously without any facial hair. It could be that a clean face goes hand in hand with good hygiene, or at least that’s the way it’s perceived.

I mean there’s a reason why facial hair is shunned in the business world and many top-level professions.
Can anyone speak to how beards are received specifically by women in the Philippines?
(11-28-2019, 02:18 AM)WombRaider Wrote: Can anyone speak to how beards are received specifically by women in the Philippines?

Do you have a good jawline? Then shave it. Do you have a bad jawline? Then keep it.
(11-27-2019, 01:56 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote: I mean there’s a reason why facial hair is shunned in the business world and many top-level professions.

The business world and many top-level professions require men to wear a noose around their necks, so we should totally view their standards as optimal.