Caracas 2019 Datasheet
Hi guys, I wanted to introduce myself and start with some contribution to the community. I originally wanted to post about Chiang Mai, but someone did that just recently, so here is a Datasheet for the Venezuelan capital should any of you players visit this insane but rewarding country. Mind that I the last time I was there was in March so things might have slightly changed since then.

About me:
European, 30 yo, 190cm, 95kg, athletic build, bald. Quite dark-skinned to the point some people say I look Arab. Speak Spanish fluently. Visited Caracas on several occasions over perhaps 6 month in total since 2015.

Caracas in general:
Considered one of the most dangerous cities outside of warzones, with one of the biggest murder rates, constantly competing with San Pedro Sula over the title. Most of the violence is gang-related. With one of the most corrupt and incompetent governments in the world, the country is struck with deep economical recession, hyper-inflation and general poverty. Long electricity and water blackouts are common. That said, the city is still very interesting to visit, and not just for hunting girls (more of that later).

Money:
Contrary to what used to be during the Chavez era, Caracas (and the whole country) is actually a very affordable place. Accommodation starts at 2 dollars for a suite and a set lunch is 1.50. Mototaxis are very cheap and metro is for free. Recently, foreign credit cards were allowed in and it's now possible to with them almost everywhere (due to lack of money in cash, most businesses including restaurants have POS). The rate you card will be charged can be found on http://www.italcambio.com/. It is recommended to bing cash in US dollars and change them to Bolivares to pay mostly for taxis. Dollars can be changed either on plaza Bolivar or on Sabana Grande Boulevard in many jewelry shops.

Accommodation:
Most of the time I stayed at Hotel Luna located in Calle El Colegio, close to the junction with Av. Casanova in Sabana Grande. I had a very nice suite w AC for under 2 dollars. They don't have an electicity generator so in case of a power blackout you have a problem. Good for daygame or dates in nearby mall El Recreo or on Sabana Grande boulevard.

Other good hotel is Shelter Suites, located in Chacao, right in front of Sambil, the largest mall in the country and arguably the best daygame spot in Caracas. It's a bit more pricey though, around 15 dollars a night but it comes with a breakfast buffet and has a backup generator.

Lastly we have the Hotel Paseo Las Mercedes, most expensive of the three, perhaps 20 dollars nowadays. It's within walking distance from El Tolón mall (for daygame) and very close to Caracas' most important nightlife area.

Communication:
Most hotels have very shitty wi-fi, so you'll be relying mostly on data, normally you get 5 Gigs for about 2 dollars. Movistar is the best provider, has the fastest internet and you can buy a sim on a foreign passport. Digitel is quite similar but you'll have to bring a local to buy a sim on your behalf. Stay away from Movilnet.

Safety:
I never had any problems in the city but I personally know people who have been robbed multiple times. Dress like a local (avoid expensive looking clothes or accessories during the day) to avoid attention. Try to stay in your hotel after 7pm (almost everything except malls closes after this time anyway). Do not go to abandoned streets, even during the day. Areas listed above, and generally everywhere between El Capitolio to La California are generally safe during the day. Any place is potentially dangerous at night (except Las Mercedes). Just use common sense.

Daygame:
I would focus on malls, most notably Sambil, El Tolón, and El Recreo (in that order). You can try street game on Sabana Grande boulevard but most girls will be scared when you approach them. Girls are generally very receptive and as a foreigner, you'll have them intrigued. That said, there is no foreign competition, but local men have game, so don't count on it being a piece of cake, this is no Southeast Asia. Quality is high, perhaps the highest in the region. You can really date up if you put in the effort and the numbers. Sex on the first date is common. Just take her a to a nice bar, buy her some beers and take her to yours, you know, the usual stuff Smile) Generally they don't speak English so Spanish really helps.

Nightgame:
Both discos in Las Mercedes I frequented closed down so I can't really give any precise recommendation but Las Mercedes has the most bars, clubs and upmarket restaurants.

Online game:
I used Coachsurfing and Badoo with some good results but quality has dropped since (emigration). There are still some decent girls to be had though, just don't hold your expectations too high.

Non-game stuff:
Warairarerpano Metrocable: Take a cable car up the mountains to take in some great views of the city. Have some strawberries with cream or German sausages and continue all the way down to the Carribean Sea or take the same cable car back down.

El Hatillo: Popular with locals, this colonial villlage is now part of Greater Caracas and you can come here to see the beautiful architecture and amazing local cuisine.

Parque del Este: This park has nice views of the mountains, has a small zoo you can see for free (monkeys, crocodiles, tropical birds etc). Also there's a planetarium with exhibitions and lectures.

Plaza Bolívar: Nice colonial square, many street stalls with hotdogs, cachapas etc. 

Parque Central: Commercial complex with Venezuela's two tallest buildings where you can take an elevator to see the city from above.

Metrocable Palo Verde: Another cable car, this is not a touisty one. It actually goes above Petare, the most dangerous slum of the city. From the cable car, it is interesting to watch everyday life in this place from the safety of your cable car, sometimes being literaly just meters from the scene. Also great views of the city.

Colonia Tovar: A former German colony, this is a favouite weekend getaway for wealthy Caraqueňos. Try some German dishes or beer and have a walk around the village. Bring a girl to keep you warm at the cold nights Smile

That's it, I hope it's comprehensive, it's my first datasheet, so don't be too harsh with me Smile Any questions welcome, I'll try to reply asap.
Nice data sheet, do you have much experience outside of Caracas?

What were you spending on average like $10 a day?
This is interesting because I've seen a lot of Venezuelan profiles on the Cupid apps and some other sites.Some of them look fake and the ones that do look real don't seem like a good idea considering the state of the country.I know it's online and everything is usually made to look better from these profiles it's as if nothing is going on which is almost as scary as the safety concerns.
(11-04-2019, 05:43 PM)SC87 Wrote: Nice data sheet, do you have much experience outside of Caracas?

What were you spending on average like $10 a day?

I know the whole country (the tourist places), stayed some time in Mérida and Barquisimeto as well. I'd say around 15 dollars was my daily expenditure.
+1 repped.
Fuck. Now this is what I'm talking about!

I'm a big fan of Venezuela actually, and think it will be rad again once they get their shit together, so this datasheet is really interesting to me. I have a ton of questions now based off this, but I'll try to be as brief as possible with each one.

Why is your spending so low per day there? That first place you suggested to stay at honestly looks like a total shit hole and about what I'd expect for that price. Why not just spend $30 or $40 per day and stay somewhere nice? Never looked at other options like Airbnb as being actually viable? I'd imagine you could get a place for a whole month cheap as hell there if you paid in Euros or USD.

What's the deal with Las Mercedes at night? It's still safe enough and busy enough?

How do you get from the airport to the city? Do you have any arranged drivers or is it still safe enough to get a regular taxi from the airport? And getting around the city you just use taxis off the street?

Have you actually ever gone on any regular dates there? I imagine arranging a date with a girl there at x place, at whatever time, is super frustrating and they likely flake a lot since it's hard to get around?

Is there really still head turning talent there or did it all pretty much emigrate to other countries already?

Definitely a +1 for this.
Great datasheet. Going to places most guys wouldn't. Have any stories from this trip?
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
(11-05-2019, 11:45 PM)20Nation Wrote: Great datasheet. Going to places most guys wouldn't. Have any stories from this trip?

Great trips, but difficut to describe the experience. Definitely climbing Roraima and spending three days exploring the top was an experience of a lifetime. Also flying to Canaima in a 3-seater and then taking the boat to see Angel Falls was hell of a trip. Perhaps the most interesting experience was visiting lake Maracaibo to see the Catatumbo Lightning phenomenom, when yellow, soundless lightning bolts rise up from the water, and during a storm mix with white bolts coming down with a thunder. Amazing spectacle, seen while drinking rum and doing coke with local fishermen.

Probably the sillest thing I did that year was crossing the Venezuelan-Colombian border illegally over a shallow river, in a heavily militarized area. I was refused a departure stamp for overstaying and had to go pay some fine after the weekend, but my plane was leaving the next day from Bogota to Europe. I desperately needed to get out of Venezuela, so I waited until dusk and then trafficked myself, knee deep in mud and scared as hell. I guess I could have easily been shot, if discovered. That, in hindsight, was very stupid.

(11-05-2019, 11:09 PM)natas Wrote: Fuck. Now this is what I'm talking about!

I'm a big fan of Venezuela actually, and think it will be rad again once they get their shit together, so this datasheet is really interesting to me. I have a ton of questions now based off this, but I'll try to be as brief as possible with each one.

Why is your spending so low per day there? That first place you suggested to stay at honestly looks like a total shit hole and about what I'd expect for that price. Why not just spend $30 or $40 per day and stay somewhere nice? Never looked at other options like Airbnb as being actually viable? I'd imagine you could get a place for a whole month cheap as hell there if you paid in Euros or USD.

What's the deal with Las Mercedes at night? It's still safe enough and busy enough?

How do you get from the airport to the city? Do you have any arranged drivers or is it still safe enough to get a regular taxi from the airport? And getting around the city you just use taxis off the street?

Have you actually ever gone on any regular dates there? I imagine arranging a date with a girl there at x place, at whatever time, is super frustrating and they likely flake a lot since it's hard to get around?

Is there really still head turning talent there or did it all pretty much emigrate to other countries already?

I'm not a rich person, that's why I'm trying to spend as little as possible. I guess you could rent an apartment, but I liked the flexibility of staying in a hotel and never really inquired about that option. As far as I know, there is almost no Airbnb there.
Las Mercedes is still reasonably safe, busy generally on weekends, not so much on weekdays.
Taxis are generally safe and cheap, never had any problem with them. Usually from the airport I take a cab and then to get around I use mototaxis to save time and money. They are everywhere.
I went on many dates, mostly in El Recreo. It's near the metro, so it's easy for the girls to get there. They will usually freak out about missing the last metro so just tell them you have a friend who is a taxi driver and will take her home. This usually calms her down and makes her compliant. Actually when I think about it, I never had any real LMR, maybe because they fear they'll end up stranded in the middle of the night Smile) Flakes are common though, it's Latin America.
Talent is still pretty high and deffo better than Colombia which is getting increasingly fatter.
(11-06-2019, 04:13 PM)markB Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 11:45 PM)20Nation Wrote: Great datasheet. Going to places most guys wouldn't. Have any stories from this trip?

Great trips, but difficut to describe the experience. Definitely climbing Roraima and spending three days exploring the top was an experience of a lifetime. Also flying to Canaima in a 3-seater and then taking the boat to see Angel Falls was hell of a trip. Perhaps the most interesting experience was visiting lake Maracaibo to see the Catatumbo Lightning phenomenom, when yellow, soundless lightning bolts rise up from the water, and during a storm mix with white bolts coming down with a thunder. Amazing spectacle, seen while drinking rum and doing coke with local fishermen.

Probably the sillest thing I did that year was crossing the Venezuelan-Colombian border illegally over a shallow river, in a heavily militarized area. I was refused a departure stamp for overstaying and had to go pay some fine after the weekend, but my plane was leaving the next day from Bogota to Europe. I desperately needed to get out of Venezuela, so I waited until dusk and then trafficked myself, knee deep in mud and scared as hell. I guess I could have easily been shot, if discovered. That, in hindsight, was very stupid.

(11-05-2019, 11:09 PM)natas Wrote: Fuck. Now this is what I'm talking about!

I'm not a rich person, that's why I'm trying to spend as little as possible. I guess you could rent an apartment, but I liked the flexibility of staying in a hotel and never really inquired about that option. As far as I know, there is almost no Airbnb there.
Las Mercedes is still reasonably safe, busy generally on weekends, not so much on weekdays.
Taxis are generally safe and cheap, never had any problem with them. Usually from the airport I take a cab and then to get around I use mototaxis to save time and money. They are everywhere.
I went on many dates, mostly in El Recreo. It's near the metro, so it's easy for the girls to get there. They will usually freak out about missing the last metro so just tell them you have a friend who is a taxi driver and will take her home. This usually calms her down and makes her compliant. Actually when I think about it, I never had any real LMR, maybe because they fear they'll end up stranded in the middle of the night Smile) Flakes are common though, it's Latin America.
Talent is still pretty high and deffo better than Colombia which is getting increasingly fatter.

I know the news exaggerates stuff but from reading all this it still seems a bit to calm and easy for a country with such big problems.I'm sure this is a exciting trip to look back on for those that have  done it but I don't know if I would have that kind of luck or whatever you want to call it.
This is one of those things where a white guy's data sheet is going to look very different to someone who can pass for a local. Ironically Venezuela will be a pussy paradise for non-white dudes long before it's safe enough for us.
(11-06-2019, 10:25 PM)churros Wrote: This is one of those things where a white guy's data sheet is going to look very different to someone who can pass for a local. Ironically Venezuela will be a pussy paradise for non-white dudes long before it's safe enough for us.

I'm definitely not white and it would take a lot of convincing for me to feel I had it any better than someone who is.
(11-06-2019, 10:47 PM)kc1082 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 10:25 PM)churros Wrote: This is one of those things where a white guy's data sheet is going to look very different to someone who can pass for a local. Ironically Venezuela will be a pussy paradise for non-white dudes long before it's safe enough for us.

I'm definitely not white and it would take a lot of convincing for me to feel I had it any better than someone who is.

I know dude but my point is that Venezuela may be the ironic exception.
Interesting data sheet on a place that many international travellers I know are keeping a close eye on. Some additional questions:

-Do you ever see any Western-looking people there now, whether in the fancy area, the streets, the nightlife? How much of a target do you think they are for crime or do you think Venezuela being very dangerous is mostly overrated due to gangs infighting?

-What's the nightlife like? You said you can't give any specific recommendations, but maybe what the overall vibe is like? Do you see a lot of young people, people from different social strata or is it really a very select few of elites that are able to afford alcohol in decent looking bars?

-When dealing with the girls, is there a lot of (semi-) prostitution or just girls straight up asking for shit and favours out of desperation. This is definitely the case in many African countries I visited so I wonder how the crisis is affecting morals in that regard in Venezuela?

-Do you spend the days walking around places the same as you would in Colombia or is it more staying in the hotel room unless you really have a purpose to go out? After 7pm it's dead apparently, but during the day you can just go hang around in certain areas, go to the park, visit the market, go to the mall, without having to look over your shoulder all the time?
(11-08-2019, 12:17 AM)Rottenapple Wrote: Interesting data sheet on a place that many international travellers I know are keeping a close eye on. Some additional questions:

-Do you ever see any Western-looking people there now, whether in the fancy area, the streets, the nightlife? How much of a target do you think they are for crime or do you think Venezuela being very dangerous is mostly overrated due to gangs infighting?

I saw no Westerners except for some official-looking people in 5-star hotels. Looking foreign (we're talking blonde hair, blue eyed foreign, there are many Venezuelans that could pass for Italian btw) will probably make you more vulnerable to crime, so it's good not to stand out (dress and do like locals). Yes, news are exaggerated, as always.

-What's the nightlife like? You said you can't give any specific recommendations, but maybe what the overall vibe is like? Do you see a lot of young people, people from different social strata or is it really a very select few of elites that are able to afford alcohol in decent looking bars?

For a city of it's size, the nightlife is very bad. Many people are impoverished and combined with lack of safety at night, most people stay home. There are quite a few bars/clubs in Sabana Grande/Chacao/Altamira, that the middle class goes to. There willl be many hookers/homosexuals/transformers. Upper class generally parties in Las Mercedes. If night game is your thing, go to Mérida instead.

-When dealing with the girls, is there a lot of (semi-) prostitution or just girls straight up asking for shit and favours out of desperation. This is definitely the case in many African countries I visited so I wonder how the crisis is affecting morals in that regard in Venezuela?

I have never been asked for money. A couple times I paid the girl's taxi back home.

-Do you spend the days walking around places the same as you would in Colombia or is it more staying in the hotel room unless you really have a purpose to go out? After 7pm it's dead apparently, but during the day you can just go hang around in certain areas, go to the park, visit the market, go to the mall, without having to look over your shoulder all the time?

You can walk around most upper- and middle-class areas without worrying too much, as long as there are other people around.
What are your thoughts on Mérida in comparison? You mentioned it's better for night game, so Caracas is better for day game?
I assume that the OP is writing in good faith, but Venezuela is not as cheap as it has been in the past. The best economic days for a foreign visitor with U.S. Dollars or Euros have been over for a few years, unless you want to risk buying property and you may lose when you sell.
It is true that Venezuela is very affordable for a westerner, but the country has been undergoing an accelerated dollarization for the past 16 months and the cost of living, in general, is 2-3 times more expensive, in dollars, than it was 16 months ago and almost 50% more expensive than it was 6 months ago in April-May. Some common items are 4-5 times more expensive. In October 2019, many places, including taxis were accepting dollars. It is a good bet to use dollars straight up with no middleman. Ask the vendor. Even teenagers are carrying dollars. The problem sometimes is getting exact change.
Maybe a certain forum member, who lives there part time, will come and drop some mana on the good stuff.
Be professional, be polite, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
(11-08-2019, 04:03 AM)churros Wrote: What are your thoughts on Mérida in comparison? You mentioned it's better for night game, so Caracas is better for day game?

Yes, that's correct. Lots of students in Mérida. I might write a datasheet some time in the future.

(11-08-2019, 06:08 AM)BravoZulu Wrote: I assume that the OP is writing in good faith, but Venezuela is not as cheap as it has been in the past.  The best economic days for a foreign visitor with U.S. Dollars or Euros have been over for a few years, unless you want to risk buying property and you may lose when you sell.  
It is true that Venezuela is very affordable for a westerner, but the country has been undergoing an accelerated dollarization for the past 16 months and the cost of living, in general, is 2-3 times more expensive, in dollars, than it was 16 months ago and almost 50% more expensive than it was 6 months ago in April-May.  Some common items are 4-5 times more expensive.  In October 2019, many places, including taxis were accepting dollars.  It is a good bet to use dollars straight up with no middleman.  Ask the vendor.  Even teenagers are carrying dollars. The problem sometimes is getting exact change.
Maybe a certain forum member, who lives there part time, will come and drop some mana on the good stuff.

That's all true but the prices of accommodation, drinks, and transportation are still the cheapest in the region. Perhaps you would not be spending 15 dollars nowadays but even if it was 25, that's still pretty affordable imho.
(11-08-2019, 12:06 PM)markB Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 06:08 AM)BravoZulu Wrote: I assume that the OP is writing in good faith, but Venezuela is not as cheap as it has been in the past.  The best economic days for a foreign visitor with U.S. Dollars or Euros have been over for a few years, unless you want to risk buying property and you may lose when you sell.  
It is true that Venezuela is very affordable for a westerner, but the country has been undergoing an accelerated dollarization for the past 16 months and the cost of living, in general, is 2-3 times more expensive, in dollars, than it was 16 months ago and almost 50% more expensive than it was 6 months ago in April-May.  Some common items are 4-5 times more expensive.  In October 2019, many places, including taxis were accepting dollars.  It is a good bet to use dollars straight up with no middleman.  Ask the vendor.  Even teenagers are carrying dollars. The problem sometimes is getting exact change.

That's all true but the prices of accommodation, drinks, and transportation are still the cheapest in the region. Perhaps you would not be spending 15 dollars nowadays but even if it was 25, that's still pretty affordable imho.

Yes, it is the cheapest in the region, a great value with many hot women, and your value is extremely high as foreigner, but it is significantly more expensive than in the past.  You mentioned that contrary to what it used to be it is now very affordable.  This is just not the case, it has always been very affordable and although my experience is limited to a little less than 5 years, some have been there for 3 plus decades and could burn your ears for pages and pages.

It is good that you posted some information as there was Venezuela thread here a few years back, but it is gone now.  Gone like many of the beautiful women, better times and cheaper days.
Be professional, be polite, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
(11-08-2019, 05:25 PM)BravoZulu Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 12:06 PM)markB Wrote:

Yes, it is the cheapest in the region, a great value with many hot women, and your value is extremely high as foreigner, but it is significantly more expensive than in the past.  You mentioned that contrary to what it used to be it is now very affordable.  This is just not the case, it has always been very affordable and although my experience is limited to a little less than 5 years, some have been there for 3 plus decades and could burn your ears for pages and pages.

It is good that you posted some information as there was Venezuela thread here a few years back, but it is gone now.  Gone like many of the beautiful women, better times and cheaper days.

If you read carefully, you would realize I was comparing today's affordability with that of Chavez's era, not 5 years ago. 1000 dollars will get you much more that in 2010.
Venezuela doesn’t have as much ROI nowadays. You can go to Colombia for almost the same price and find Venezuelans there while not having to worry about crime or electrical blackouts. Airbnb prices are higher than Buenos Aires, I checked the rental listings on local Venezuelan websites and it’s more expensive than comparable areas in Medellin and Buenos Aires.

At this point, you’ll be doing it just for the experience but the ROI is not there as it used to be years ago when the crisis first started.

Maybe the girls in real life are much nicer. Most girls I’ve chatted are cool as well, only had 3 cases where the girl would beg me to send her money via PayPal because she had no money to eat...,.despite posting pictures of her recent trip to Los Roques last weekend. I simply laugh and call them out.