A Better Way To Meet Fellow Travelers
So, an idea popped into my head. With RVF going down, the biggest problem is that it just became a lot harder to find like minded guys in whatever country you are traveling to. So I thought of a way to make it so we could check where other guys on the forum are currently at.

The idea:
A map of where all members of the forum are currently at based on their last login IP. If you click on the country, the meetup thread for that country would show and below it a list of guys who's last ip was in that country. If you click on their names it would bring you to the screen to PM that person. 

We wouldn't share anybodies ip address obviously (or even the city they are in), we would only say the current country they are in. If they want people to know which city they are in, they can post it in the meetup thread for that country. There would also be a way to disable it if they don't want to be on the map. Obviously guys using VPN's would show a false country, so there would also be a way to manually override what country to show. 

If this is something you guys really want
I think it would be a sick way to find guys to meetup with, but I'm not a php programmer so we would have to hire somebody to do it. If like 2% of the forum donated 10$, we would be able to do it. I don't think it would be that expensive, it's all stuff I would be able to do no problem, if the website was in Javascript. 

What do you guys think?
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
Extra ideas: 
  • Below the map is a list of countries ranked by how many members are in each one, so instead of finding the country on the map, you could find it there
  • Add in a rating section so you can say if the experience meeting that person was positive or negative. Something other guys that might meet that guy will see
I think it's a great idea and it's something that has been on my mind for a long time. The meetups are what really makes the community in my opinion and it could also attract other travellers to this site. I'd have no issue chipping in for something that will allow me to find cool guys while travelling. To be honest, I have a much harder time finding cool guys than I have finding hot girls. It leads to situations where I have even an abundance of girls but no decent enough guys that could wing with me or could take out the friend of my girl or whatever.

Additionally, we could have designated experts per country after a while which would be the go-to guys for up to date information on a specific country.
I'm not a big fan of my precise global movements being trackable.

Also, I use a VPN 95% of the time in China to get around the Great Firewall and that would fuck everything up for the map.

I would have guys repeatedly messaging me for meetups in California and no one would know I was in Beijing when they visited.
I'd donate $10.
I like the gist of this idea, but I think it should be totally opt-in. Not everyone wants to reveal their location at all times, and as you mentioned there are issues with VPN's that may throw a spanner in the works.

More than anything, it would be useful having a visual map of where members are based. It would be also nice to have a separate feature showing where members are traveling to and when. All of this should be elective.

This would ideally be private to the forum and you would need to be logged in to your STW account to access.

To call attention to it, maybe a callout thread at the top of the Travel or Meetup sections. Something like:

Exclamation  REMINDER: Pin your city location to see where other STW members are

Members could link to it in their footer so that it circulates around the forum and becomes normalized. Something like:

Full-time Location: Austin, TX
https://swooptheword.com/forum/userlocations
Yeah but rooshvforum had an option that says where you currently are, but everybody would move around all the time and forget to change it. But if you are only in china, then you just override it and just put china. There would be an option. And why do you think showing the current country is too much? Tons of websites and apps use the ip to show flags, etc. based on their ip. And like i said, it can be disabled if somebody doesn't want anybody knowing in which country they are.
I think it's a good idea for people wanting to meet up. Personally I'm not interested in meetups when I'm home in the US. Over the years I've found it useful to meet with people when I show up in a new country and don't know anyone. I've had people help me get my bearings straight in foreign countries
@Mike: So you're saying that you want people to show you around when you visit their city, but you're disinclined to return the favour.
What could be a more low cost option is to use the "Country" option that is currently already there and filled in by some members.

1. Create a pop-up that shows, say, once a month to every user asking "is your country still up to date?"
2. Whenever someone else changes their country to the same one you have listed, you get a notification about it (either via PM, popup or email)

Of course users would have full control over the settings of what they do and don't want other users to see.

You could also try and add more custom fields in addition to country, something like:
- Country based in
- Country currently in
- Near-future travel plans

And build the same type of logic into it.

Just a thought
(11-03-2019, 04:24 AM)Winston Wolfe Wrote: What could be a more low cost option is to use the "Country" option that is currently already there and filled in by some members.

1. Create a pop-up that shows, say, once a month to every user asking "is your country still up to date?"
2. Whenever someone else changes their country to the same one you have listed, you get a notification about it (either via PM, popup or email)

Of course users would have full control over the settings of what they do and don't want other users to see.

You could also try and add more custom fields in addition to country, something like:
- Country based in
- Country currently in
- Near-future travel plans

And build the same type of logic into it.

Just a thought

This is a good idea. guys that are interested in meeting up would thus have the incentive to actually use it and update it when it changes
Putting up a call out thread so that interested local members can message you direct wouldn't be simpler? (and more private?)
A montly popup that asks "Where are you?" "Are you open to meeting up?" Is not a bad idea.
I like the idea of making it easier to meet people on here.

An option would be to have it on the login:

Username:
Password:
Country (optional):
City (optional):

Then have a separate page where it has a list of countries, cities, and members:

Usa:
A Member
H Member
Q Member
Los Angeles:
Y Member
V Member
New York:
K Member

Asia:
D Member
U Member
Vietnam:
Z Member
P Member
O Member
As someone currently in a fairly low population/niche country I'd be in favour of having a few general regions as options on it too. "Scandinavia" or "British Isles" for example.

If someone is visiting the region they could then PM you to see if you're around in a more specific area within it.
(11-03-2019, 01:05 AM)Suits Wrote: @Mike: So you're saying that you want people to show you around when you visit their city, but you're disinclined to return the favour.

If I've communicated with somebody a lot beforehand then I'd show them around. In the past I've mostly only met with people that were vetted by others. I'd certainly show somebody around if they showed me around their city. I also tend not to go out much when I'm at home- usually I'm busy working or seeing friends- I'd never introduce a stranger from a forum to my friends without meeting them first. Met too many weirdos in the past.