Chiang Mai Datasheet
After two years in Southeast Asia mostly spent in Bangkok and Saigon, I needed to move to a more laid back city. A lot of strong opinions exist about Chiang Mai, some good, others not so much. 

But with my lease in Bangkok expiring, I had no ties and was an hour plane ride away from Chiang Mai. I decided to give it a shot.

Accommodation

I texted my friend, who had lived in Chiang Mai before and asked for an apartment recommendation. I checked out a few other places, but decided to move into his former building. 

I pay 7k baht for a month-to-month agreement. The place is a 5-10 minute drive away from the center. The unit is a one-bedroom with modern finishes and nice furniture, but no kitchen. I could get a similar place for 5k baht a month if I signed a 6 or 12 month lease but I like the flexibility.

Bottom line, living here is cheap, especially if you live a bit outside the center. For me, it’s preferable as I like the quiet neighborhood and I’m close enough to the action. Which brings us to transportation.

Transportation

I barely rode a motorbike in my first two years in Southeast Asia because it wasn’t a necessity in Saigon and Bangkok. But in Chiang Mai, you need a bike. I pay around 2,500 baht a month for a rental, but you can buy a decent one for under 30k baht if you decide to stay here long term.

The police have checkpoints all over the place during the day and when the bars close, so you’ll want to get your license if you plan to stay here for 2+ months. I’m going through this process right now. Luckily, it only costs around 1,500 baht for all the papers and I’ve got the one-day class/test scheduled in a week.

If you plan to come for under a month, just use the back sois during the day and when the bars close. From around 6-11pm, you should be good everywhere. The fine is usually around 500 baht, which I’ve had to pay twice.

Girls

A lot of people think Chiang Mai is shit for girls, and it is, unless you have something going for you. This isn’t a “show up and be white” place. There is an oversupply of foreigners compared to available girls.

Full disclosure, I’m late 20s, tall, and good-looking, so my experience won’t be replicable for everyone. But here’s how it’s been for me...

Over the first few weeks, I banged 7 or 8 girls off Tinder. Most were 18-23 y.o. and in the 7 range looks-wise. At this point, my online prospects were starting to dry up (I’m very picky), but I was getting tired of it all anyway after sleeping with dozens of girls over the previous five months.

Anyway, around this time, I met a sweet uni girl and have been dating her since. She’s been great, so lately I’ve cut out the extracurricular and focused more on work.

Night Life

I don’t drink much these days, so can’t give an in-depth review of the nightlife.

You can check out Zoe and Spicy, but you’ll have to wade through pros and ladyboys (especially at Spicy).

I went to a cool spot near my gym once. Just a random place I saw - walked in and had a good time. I’d recommend a similar strategy - instead of just going to the well-trodden spots, get off the beaten path. You’re more likely to find a fun, genuine experience if you do this.

Food

Due to the number of foreigners (hippies in particular) in Chiang Mai, it’s easy to find healthy western/international food at an affordable price. I’m constantly having sushi, burgers, and smoothies - all with great price to quality ratios.

I should try more of the local food, as my non-western meals are mainly a couple of Thai BBQ spots by my building. I can recommend Khao Soi though, a tasty Northern dish.

Networking

One of my friends visited for a month, so I hung out with him a lot while he was here. Besides him, most of the guys I’ve met have been passing through.

A guy who lives in my building told me that a lot of the location-independent guys (not his words) have moved away. Maybe the scene isn’t what it used to be, but I can’t say for sure.

I might need to step it up and do some more targeted networking, as I’d like to build a more permanent crew.

Day-trips

I’m hesitant to drive during the day until I get my license, so I have only gone to the Huay Kaew waterfall thus far. But there are a lot of cool spots a bit outside the city, so I look forward to checking some of them out in November and December. Will report here after I do.

Conclusion

If you want a new Tinder delivery every day, Chiang Mai is not the right city for you. But if you want to slow down the pace and get some work done, it’s worth a shot.

I still consider myself new to the city, so will try to post updates as my experience evolves.
Pretty accurate CM datasheet.

I think the digital nomad scene did die off significantly. There were a lot of people getting fleeced by "gurus" teaching make money online who had never MMO. Lol

Also the police/road check situation there is miserable. Having the proper papers wont spare you if youre riding around late. They'll make something up, like my DUI.

I'd disagree on the girl situation though. Its a university town, loads of cute girls. English is limited though.

Visa situation is also not sustainable long term unless you marry a thai or get the elite investor visa.

I'd still say the place is a bit of a paradise. I dont thnk theres another city that has that quality of life/price ratio. And northern Thailand is incredibly beautiful. I miss the place at times.
(10-27-2019, 05:36 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: Pretty accurate CM datasheet.

I think the digital nomad scene did die off significantly. There were a lot of people getting fleeced by "gurus" teaching make money online who had never MMO. Lol

Also the police/road check situation there is miserable. Having the proper papers wont spare you if youre riding around late. They'll make something up, like my DUI.

I'd disagree on the girl situation though. Its a university town, loads of cute girls. English is limited though.

Visa situation is also not sustainable long term unless you marry a thai or get the elite investor visa.

I'd still say the place is a bit of a paradise. I dont thnk theres another city that has that quality of life/price ratio. And northern Thailand is incredibly beautiful. I miss the place at times.

With the girls, I'd add that every white guy I saw with a cute girl was tall and good-looking. There are a ton of uni girls, but I'm not sure how accessible the majority of them are (though I've dated a few).

Many of them have limited English and are on the conservative end of the spectrum. It took five dates for me to sleep with the girl I'm dating now. Most of the Tinder uni girls put out on the first date, though, but there aren't many Tinder uni girls in CM.

My current's English is a little better than average, but it's her major at uni (first year).

I think learning Thai is a great idea for anyone staying here long-term. You can really set yourself apart from the other foreigners with the local girls. It's also an easier language to speak than Vietnamese and the locals don't look at you like a zoo animal if you speak it (like they do in 'Nam). Bonus is that you can stay for a year on an education visa, so that temporarily solves the visa issue. I haven't learned it yet, but am considering it next year.

That brings us to the visa situation, where Thailand is notoriously difficult. I've been in Thailand since March this year and my current tourist visa takes me until the end of the year. I'm on my 2nd tourist visa along with 2 exemptions (plus extensions). I've stayed out of the country for 10-20 days on each visa run, turning them into short trips.

For me, I'm fine living here for 7-8 months a year if I don't get the ed visa. I'll stay out for 2-3 months during burning season and then take a couple of 2 week trips outside of that. That should make me golden with immigration.
You can have a high standard of living in Chiang Mai for incredibly cheap, especially if you don't drink. I spent a couple months there in 2017 and I also do miss the place at times.

Regarding girls, I think you are pretty spot on. It certainly isn't Bangkok.

It took me a while in the city before I started pulling some girls, most of which came from Tinder and a little social circle I built up.

Definitely do try more of the local food, there's some really delicious stuff to be found for like 40 baht. Khao Soi is indeed one of them.

What you could do for networking is join some of the Chiang Mai Facebook groups. Just ignore all the bullshit being posted on there and be on the lookout for events being announced, or people looking to play sports you are interested in for example.
Any pics bro or videos from your trip?
(10-31-2019, 09:01 AM)¢OoL€€ Wrote: Any pics bro or videos from your trip?

Don't have any great pics to post now, but after I start taking day trips, I'll try to post some.
How would rate your girls?
(10-31-2019, 11:39 AM)¢OoL€€ Wrote: How would rate your girls?

Like I said in the OP, most have been in the 7 range.
Pics bro? blurred
(11-01-2019, 05:46 PM)¢OoL€€ Wrote: Pics bro? blurred

How about you post some pics yourself? There's at least 3 threads in here where you come in and all you ask is "pics bro".

Furthermore, OP already answered your question, no need to then clog the thread with more 3-word posts that don't add any value.
Haha you are right bro
Pretty accurate. I would just add Sangdee for night game. My default strategy was skipping Zoe and going straight to Spicy (weekdays) or Sangdee (weekends). Many people (girls) go to Zoe to continue to either of the two and won't leave their friends. In the after-clubs they suddenly switch to dtf mode. I personally never pulled from Zoe but did pull from Spicy or Zoe many times.