Improv Comedy for Self Improvement
My first exposure to improv was seeing Who's Line is it Anyway. The performers I thought were very funny and bold for being able to perform the way they did. Earlier this year I was able to find a couple of different improv Comedy classes in my city and took them.

I found many benefits from taking some beginner courses most notably being more fun and lively in conversation, not taking myself so seriously and learning to handle being the butt of the joke. As well as that I'm more comfortable in freeing up my movements which allows me better express myself, similar to dancing I suppose.

The most common reason I found people joined was for self improvement like myself. Of course there is the occasional performer in the mix but for the most part taking a beginners course will have you shoulder to shoulder with people trying to better themselves. You should expect to meet a lot of interesting characters as well, I'm not sure why but it seems to be a performance style which attracts some weird people.
Improv Comedy is a great way to step out of your shell and push you to be uncomfortable. Most classes will have an end of term show which is a great opportunity to experience performance and being under the pressure of the people who came to see. The feeling of walking on stage with no idea what will happen is both scary and exhilarating and makes other socially frightening things pale in comparison - talking to girls being one.

I'm a young guy myself and encourage members of all ages to take a crack at improv.

From my experience performance based activities are a great way to better your confidence in social situations.

Other worthwhile activities I've thoroughly benefitted from are public speaking and dance lessons - the confidence gained in one can relate to another I've found.

I hope to begin a discussion on others experience with improv as well an anyother activities not mentioned here.
Yes and I did an improv class about 2 months ago. Every teacher has a different style, mine put us on the spotlight fast. We do exercises like "yes, and", point at each other to continue the dialogue, etc. I thought I would do well since I make girls laugh when I tease them but I was wrong. When I think back I am off the wall with what I say.

Like you said it's a great way for people to come out of their shell but some people may be a bit too scared to do that. Also a great way to practice thinking on your feet, speaking with conviction, reading the room, and understand in group social dynamics. Definitely potential to network with high profile individuals like CEOs and lawyers.

With the benefits out of the way I have my hands full at the moment but if I wasn't so busy I would love to do classes. I'm scared of doing live unscripted improv in front of a group of strangers. Would be an epic bucket list item to do and talk about in an interview or as a story.
(09-29-2019, 06:46 PM)ChicagoFire Wrote: Yes and I did an improv class about 2 months ago. Every teacher has a different style, mine put us on the spotlight fast. We do exercises like "yes, and", point at each other to continue the dialogue, etc. I thought I would do well since I make girls laugh when I tease them but I was wrong. When I think back I am off the wall with what I say.

How did your approach change or improve?
@ChicagoFire
Very true about group Dynamics and learning to think on your feet. Even just doing classes with no performance you'll still be under the gaze of your class mates constantly so there is still social pressure. This is where the nervousness comes out and forces you to face the discomfort which is a good thing. Eventually even the student who was too scared to begin with will have gained something by the end of a course.
I've dabbled in improv classes in NYC. It's definitely a good way to break your comfort zone and get more comfortable having the spotlight on you. It feels great when you say or do something that makes everyone laugh, and it's also good when you say something corny. Everybody will look at you like you're an idiot, and that's okay. I'd encourage everyone to try it if you have the chance.

Also +1 for taking dance lessons. I invested heavily in that a couple years back and it seriously boosted my confidence, especially in a party setting with good music.
^^
Someone (ideally with dance experience) should do a dance datasheet. I would if I didn't have so much to do at the moment. I've done some capoiera classes and you can mix that style with breakdancing to use at the club. Yes I know capoiera is considered a martial art but it really isn't. Dancing in Latin America can lead to same night lays. Once I make my way to Latin America I will take a couple classes for my target countries. Just my opinion but if I were going to LA I would prioritize dance over getting better at the language. I've already taken Spanish classes when I was younger so lucky me.