Anyone live in Japan or go there often?
I'm heading there in a couple of weeks and had I few questions I was hoping to talk through with someone.
I've been going there a few times a year for business trips for the last decade - the place is a blast. I don't know if I'm exactly an expert or anything, but if you've got questions, feel free to DM me or to ask here. I'll try to answer whatever I can.
Why not put the questions out here so everyone can benefit?
I've lived there for years, and still at least make yearly trips.

If I can help I'm always happy to. Actually in the airport in Narita now waiting for the all clear from this typhoon.
https://tomtorero.com/2016/11/16/daygame-in-japan/

https://tomtorero.com/2019/05/02/daygame...ide-tokyo/
Fair point...My questions were:
1) From what I understand hotels charge based on the number of people in the room. Is this only at checkin? In other words if I bring someone back to a hotel as opposed to an airbnb will there be issues
2) I know tourists can get away with a lot but if I got to a nicer restaurant can I get away with jeans and some boots or oxfords or do I need to wear slacks? By nicer I don't mean overly fancy just in the $100-150/person range
3) Does anyone recommend any meetup or facebook groups? Years ago I met a Vietnamese chick at a kickball game I found on a facebook group. The only other time I've gone to a facebook group meetup in another country was pretty shitty though

Any other general tips would be great.
(09-10-2019, 12:15 PM)DNiceNSmooth Wrote: Fair point...My questions were:
1) From what I understand hotels charge based on the number of people in the room. Is this only at checkin? In other words if I bring someone back to a hotel as opposed to an airbnb will there be issues
Generally speaking, if you book a room for one, check in solo, and happen to bring a girl back at 10PM, you won't get problems from the front desk. I've done this a few times before (when I was pretty broke and struggling to save cash), but I'd advise against it if you can spare the extra $30 a night.

While the front desk probably won't hassle you, it's important to keep in mind that etiquette is hugely important in Japan. And this isn't limited to obvious stuff, like talking loudly on a train or using informal words, but the subtle things count for a lot. Japanese people are incredibly in tune with subtle missteps and impoliteness, and foreigners are notoriously not so (look up kuuki-yomeru [空気読める], being able to 'read the air', if you're curious).

So while the attendant at the front desk almost certainly won't stop you as you come in with a girl, you might catch a dirty look from them. This probably doesn't matter at all to you, but your girl will notice, and it can absolutely shut down a lay. Judge-y taxi drivers, uncool security guards, and others can have this effect, too. Do anything you can to avoid this stuff.

Also, hotel rooms in Japan, especially ones that are booked for one person, can be ridiculously, incomprehensibly small, by Western standards. Imagine a college dorm bed (barely big enough to fuck on) with just a couple feet of space on either side. If you book one of these cheap, solo rooms, it will suck if the girl wants to sleep over – there's just not enough room.

Japan is a really expensive place, and the temptation is great to try to find ways to save money. Girls react very negatively to this, maybe even moreso than their American counterparts; when in doubt, spend the little bit extra and avoid the hassle.

Quote:2) I know tourists can get away with a lot but if I got to a nicer restaurant can I get away with jeans and some boots or oxfords or do I need to wear slacks? By nicer I don't mean overly fancy just in the $100-150/person range

Jeans and Oxfords are probably fine, unless you're getting into really fancy territory and they have a dress code. I had reservations for me and a girl at a restaurant with a couple Michelin stars, and although we were both dressed very nicely, they wouldn't seat us. Why? Because she has a visible tattoo on her arm. We had to either cover it, or no dice – the place had a dress code that prohibited tattoos, which are much more taboo in Japan than in the West. It's something to be aware of if you start creeping into that $150+ / person range.

Suit and tie attire is much more common for rank and file office workers in Japan, too, so I wouldn't be shocked if restaurants in that $150+ per plate range had high end dress codes. Just check before you go, and if you're not sure, either give them a call or ask your girl to call for you.

Are you going to Tokyo, another big city, or somewhere more rural? The rules can be a little different in Tokyo from the rest of Japan.

Quote:3) Does anyone recommend any meetup or facebook groups? Years ago I met a Vietnamese chick at a kickball game I found on a facebook group. The only other time I've gone to a facebook group meetup in another country was pretty shitty though

I have to admit, I've never met anybody in Japan via a meetup group, so I'm not too sure about this one.

If you think of any more questions, feel free to ask. Good luck, man, have fun!
Japan is overrated.
(09-18-2019, 03:31 AM)Il Bersagliere Wrote: Japan is overrated.

For sure, it's not the "Pussy paradise" that dudes on the internet try and make it out to be.

If you don't know Japanese, your gonna be pulling alot of 5-6s... If you can crack the code it can work, but that takes making some cash and spending years of effort. No english teacher (aka loser) is gonna be able to compete with Japanese rocking 1000$ shoes (and witty slang words).

Same with black dudes (sorry guys), but when I see what kind of girls they pull there... it's just bottom of the barrel.

The truth is the society is about is closed off as it gets for a first world country, and Japanese girls just prefer their own men.

You can still do well in Japan, no question about it. But adapting to that culture barrier is like living on a different planet.
(09-09-2019, 04:08 PM)Cheeky_Chappy Wrote: https://tomtorero.com/2016/11/16/daygame-in-japan/

https://tomtorero.com/2019/05/02/daygame...ide-tokyo/

So Torero says don't bother with the language. He says it can even DLV. But in my view, this is because guys unwittingly give their frame away when speaking another language – this doesn't have to be the case, even if you speak poorly.

What do you guys think? I'm going for one year.

(09-18-2019, 03:31 AM)Il Bersagliere Wrote: Japan is overrated.

Why
i heard Tokyo is a city not like anywhere else.
@Churros

Online game worse / tougher and more limited than the West
Expensive
Sterile
Bland food
Fake ass polite culture / society
Neurotic people
Average quality of girls isn't even better than Vietnam in my opinion

Go read that 2013 thread by Sargon from RVF. Dude was running around like a chicken all over Osaka.
^For some reason, I don't think you've spent much time in either Japan or VN and everything coming out your mouth is heresay.
Piss off shithead. Wasn't talking to you.

Shouldn't you be off somewhere chasing underage waitresses?
^Uh oh, got the IRT riled up haha