The PR. China Thread
(05-05-2020, 03:22 PM)atlant Wrote: Sichuan food is fantastic. Cantonese food is fucking awful. Your guys' taste buds must be blasted.

Yeah no shit if you only go to cheap ass hotpot places or eat rat meat on a stick from the street cart it's going to be shit.

Yeah sorry guys, it seems like the scope of Chinese food that you all were exposed to was quite limited. There's so much more out there than what has been mentioned in this thread. I'm obviously biased given my ancestry, but come on now, Xinjiang cuisine anybody? Yunnan? Thick, filling noodles from Shaanxi? Pickled cabbage on fish? Beijing duck anyone? Northern-style boiled dumplings? I mean I can go on and on......
天不怕,地不怕,只怕外国人说中国话!
(05-06-2020, 08:46 AM)dafeiji Wrote:
(05-05-2020, 03:22 PM)atlant Wrote: Sichuan food is fantastic. Cantonese food is fucking awful. Your guys' taste buds must be blasted.

Yeah no shit if you only go to cheap ass hotpot places or eat rat meat on a stick from the street cart it's going to be shit.

Yeah sorry guys, it seems like the scope of Chinese food that you all were exposed to was quite limited. There's so much more out there than what has been mentioned in this thread. I'm obviously biased given my ancestry, but come on now, Xinjiang cuisine anybody? Yunnan? Thick, filling noodles from Shaanxi? Pickled cabbage on fish? Beijing duck anyone? Northern-style boiled dumplings? I mean I can go on and on......

It's okay. We can disagree on things. It's just different perspectives. I'm just saying that Chinese food has never translated for me. I know other expats who feel the same. Some of it is good, including a lot of things that have and haven't been listed in this thread (mapo tofu), but the majority of it is bad. There's a propensity to use way too much oil and for strange, boney cuts of meat (yes, the theories on why this is the case have been explained to me). I've eaten all types of it at anywhere from street stalls in Guizhou to five star restaurants in Shanghai. Some of it is interesting, but at no time have I ever craved Chinese food. It's just something to eat. Like many things in China, there's often too much of an emphasis on presentation over actually quality or function. I don't understand why anyone would want to sit there and chew the cartilage off a pig's foot or the face off a rabbit head, but I've had these suggested to me as must-try dishes in China. There's a culture in China that loves those types of strange dining experiences. Just give me some beef and broccoli, please. 

If I'm in a first tier city, I typically don't eat Chinese food in a restaurant unless invited. It's nothing against the broader variety of Asian food, as I like the majority of offerings in most other Asian countries, it's just, if I'm going to go out and get dinner and I have a chance to spend RMB 120 on hot pot or RMB 120 on a Korean barbecue spread, I'm choosing KBBQ 101% of the time. 

I've already beaten a dead horse so that's my last comment on it. For those that like it, it's a good thing that Chinese food isn't going anywhere. I hope the country reopens soon.
(05-06-2020, 09:37 AM)jdreise Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 08:46 AM)dafeiji Wrote:

It's okay. We can disagree on things. It's just different perspectives. I'm just saying that Chinese food has never translated for me. I know other expats who feel the same. Some of it is good, including a lot of things that have and haven't been listed in this thread (mapo tofu), but the majority of it is bad. There's a propensity to use way too much oil and for strange, boney cuts of meat (yes, the theories on why this is the case have been explained to me). I've eaten all types of it at anywhere from street stalls in Guizhou to five star restaurants in Shanghai. Some of it is interesting, but at no time have I ever craved Chinese food. It's just something to eat. Like many things in China, there's often too much of an emphasis on presentation over actually quality or function. I don't understand why anyone would want to sit there and chew the cartilage off a pig's foot or the face off a rabbit head, but I've had these suggested to me as must-try dishes in China. There's a culture in China that loves those types of strange dining experiences. Just give me some beef and broccoli, please. 

If I'm in a first tier city, I typically don't eat Chinese food in a restaurant unless invited. It's nothing against the broader variety of Asian food, as I like the majority of offerings in most other Asian countries, it's just, if I'm going to go out and get dinner and I have a chance to spend RMB 120 on hot pot or RMB 120 on a Korean barbecue spread, I'm choosing KBBQ 101% of the time. 

I've already beaten a dead horse so that's my last comment on it. For those that like it, it's a good thing that Chinese food isn't going anywhere. I hope the country reopens soon.

Fair enough. Personally I just feel like there's enough variety in the different cuisines that I'll never get bored of it.

Anyway, the poster above that was talking about the club scene in Shanghai being a sausage fest must not have been to the right places. Notice how he didn't mention any venues by name. I've been out each of the past few weeks since coming back to China (got in less than two weeks before the foreigner ban), and the clubs/bars are business as usual. Ratios are fine, and there are plenty of fly honeys out and about looking for the D. Only issues have been that some nightclubs don't allow foreigners for the time being, but these are generally just the more Chinese-centric clubs like Taxx, which aren't that good for getting laid anyway. And sometimes security guards at apartment compounds will stop you and ask you to register your name and phone number if you don't look familiar, which has been an issue for me. Other than that, for those lucky enough to have stayed here or got in before the ban, a good time is being had by all.

Found is popping as usual, and La Social, Revolucion, and Up have all been great when I've gone.
天不怕,地不怕,只怕外国人说中国话!
It's just that the examples mentioned are bizarre. Yeah the rabbit heads are a thing in Sichuan but nobody would ever mention those gimmicky/exotic foods as the representation of that cuisine. That's like saying Cantonese food sucks because chicken feet or lou mei (entrails) are a thing (Cantonese food is shit but for other reasons - they are deathly afraid of spices and everything is the same monotone degree of salty and/or watery). Sichuan cuisine has a a lot of dishes that are the equivalent of beef and broccoli so it's a weird point to make.

Go to a proper restaurant where you pay 70-150+ RMB per person. That's where it gets really good. Cheap street stalls are hit or miss though even the most basic Sichuan noodles beat anything from Southern coastal China and Taiwan. Generally in China the more north/inland you go the better the food gets.
(05-06-2020, 10:13 AM)atlant Wrote: It's just that the examples mentioned are bizarre. Yeah the rabbit heads are a thing in Sichuan but nobody would ever mention those gimmicky/exotic foods as the representation of that cuisine. That's like saying Cantonese food sucks because chicken feet or lou mei (entrails) are a thing (Cantonese food is shit but for other reasons - they are deathly afraid of spices and everything is the same monotone degree of salty and/or watery). Sichuan cuisine has a a lot of dishes that are the equivalent of beef and broccoli so it's a weird point to make.

Go to a proper restaurant where you pay 70-150+ RMB per person. That's where it gets really good. Cheap street stalls are hit or miss though even the most basic Sichuan noodles beat anything from Southern coastal China and Taiwan. Generally in China the more north/inland you go the better the food gets.

I agree that you shouldn't eat at a Chinese restaurant in China unless you're willing to spend more than 100 per person. The exception would be something very basic like a quick portion of beef noodles or fried rice. Those are hard to screw up.

I mention those examples because I've been in banquet dinners with big groups of Chinese colleagues and had multiple types of entrails and feet come out and be put on the lazy Susan. That's Chinese food. There's no way to argue that it's not. Rabbit head is not a gimmick. True, it is more of Sichuan thing, but you can get it in lots of restaurants there. I've had it put in front of me multiple times without asking at school dinners where the big boss was paying. It's something Sichuanese love. Every single girl I've been with there for more than a one night stand has asked me if I've had it. 

I do understand what you're saying about there being lots of good dishes, and I'll back off the original statement a little bit by restating that not all Chinese food is bad, just the majority is bad, which includes the crap served in street stalls that a huge percentage of the population subsists on. You've got a ROC flag next to your name and I've done years in the mainland. We know what to order. But someone new to China who can't read, like the guy a few posts back, is really playing roulette by picking random dishes on a menu (apps have made it easier). Choose five dishes and you have a high likelihood of getting two that are disgusting. From experience, that is not the case in Korea, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam (uh, maybe a little in 'Nam) etc. There's also nothing inherently Chinese about beef and broccoli. It's two basic ingredients that multiple cultures do well. 

When I think of Korean food, I think of quality, boneless cuts of pork and beef, different types of vegetables fermented in chili and garlic, ssamjang, seaweed, and fresh sesame leaves and lettuce. When I think of Thai food, I think of curries, different types of fried noodles with egg, somtam, fish sauce, beef noodle soup, chili, basil, etc. True, China is a massive country with multiple cuisines, but the two most defining characteristics I can think of that are present in most mainland Han cuisines are tons of oil and cuts of bony wok-fried meat served in skimpy portions. If you don't like oil soaked food (and I don't, if that's not clear), you aren't going to be big on Chinese food.

Speaking of Chinese cuisine (and my aversion to China's oil obsession), I'm locked out of the country but this plate has been going hard the last two months trying to make her case for a green card. I'm getting daily cooking updates and need for validation. I can get with this type of Chinese cooking. I told her before that she needs to bake if she's going to win me over. 

Glad to hear you're having a good time Daifeji. Suspect those Security guards just had their hearts broken as you emerged from the building of the fit young hottie whose very perfume they breathe in as she waltzes by and smiles at them each morning. Now some American Petty-Bourgeois Imperialist has skewered her.

The reason why I blame Communism is because the food in Taiwan (which is not famed as a foodie region) is really good, Hong Kong food at restaurants like the New American or even just street stall food is really good, Macau, Singapore.. these are all places with ethnic Chinese chefs and ethnic Chinese food and the food is awesome.
I have Sichuanese cookbooks back home that I used frequently to cook for myself so you can imagine my horror at how bad the food was in Sichuan when I got there.
In Thailand I used to deliberately seek out Chinese restaurants as the ingredients were likely to be fresher and the Chinese cooking better than back home in the UK. Thai-Chinese girl? Happy to come along. Thai girl? Brow furrows: "Whats wrong with Thai food - bigot?"

Chinese food is some of my favourite food so you can imagine my disappointment. Even when I went out and spent 200RMB on treating myself it was still pretty bad. 'Best' hotpot restaurant in Chongqing..? Lousy food.
Even in general, give me a cheap Korean BBQ place in backwater Vietnam (v. good) over an expensive Korean BBQ place in Chengdu (meh).
This is why I blame Communism.. no, wait..Vietnam? Maoism then.. the Asian flair for cookery has been driven out of Sichuan it seems.
Most meals were grim: had a South African friend there who insisted South African food was the best in the world because of the chefs and the ingredients mainly.
I used to wind him up talking up French Chefs, Australian ingredients, Italian, Thai, Japanese.. there was always an answer as to why - it was good but wasn't quite as good as the food in Sandton or a nouveau riche Sowetan restaurant or wherever.. but when I mentioned Chinese food (as served in Sichuan, China) he pissed himself laughing, didnt even bother with an answer.

I expect I could give the food in Beijing or X'ian or Shanghai or Shenzhen a try.. but as for Chengdu or Chongqing? That particular food was rough.
@dafeiji
So every country is in lockdown but China (where all this started) is back to normal, and it's so back to normal that clubs and bars are already poppin, and it's even gotten normal to the point where foriegners are already having a blast in china?

Something is not adding up man, chinese girls are not rocket science, getting them is believable even during a pandemic but there is too much bullshit and lies on this forum.
(05-06-2020, 12:38 PM)Bienvenuto Wrote: Glad to hear you're having a good time Daifeji. Suspect those Security guards just had their hearts broken as you emerged from the building of the fit young hottie whose very perfume they breathe in as she waltzes by and smiles at them each morning. Now some American Petty-Bourgeois Imperialist has skewered her.

The reason why I blame Communism is because the food in Taiwan (which is not famed as a foodie region) is really good, Hong Kong food at restaurants like the New American or even just street stall food is really good, Macau, Singapore.. these are all places with ethnic Chinese chefs and ethnic Chinese food and the food is awesome.
I have Sichuanese cookbooks back home that I used frequently to cook for myself so you can imagine my horror at how bad the food was in Sichuan when I got there.
In Thailand I used to deliberately seek out Chinese restaurants as the ingredients were likely to be fresher and the Chinese cooking better than back home in the UK. Thai-Chinese girl? Happy to come along. Thai girl? Brow furrows: "Whats wrong with Thai food -  bigot?"

Chinese food is some of my favourite food so you can imagine my disappointment. Even when I went out and spent 200RMB on treating myself it was still pretty bad. 'Best' hotpot restaurant in Chongqing..? Lousy food.
Even in general, give me a cheap Korean BBQ place in backwater Vietnam (v. good) over an expensive Korean BBQ place in Chengdu (meh).
This is why I blame Communism.. no, wait..Vietnam? Maoism then.. the Asian flair for cookery has been driven out of Sichuan it seems.
Most meals were grim: had a South African friend there who insisted South African food was the best in the world because of the chefs and the ingredients mainly.
I used to wind him up talking up French Chefs, Australian ingredients, Italian, Thai, Japanese.. there was always an answer as to why - it was good but wasn't quite as good as the food in Sandton or a nouveau riche Sowetan restaurant or wherever.. but when I mentioned Chinese food (as served in Sichuan, China) he pissed himself laughing, didnt even bother with an answer.

I expect I could give the food in Beijing or X'ian or Shanghai or Shenzhen a try.. but as for Chengdu or Chongqing? That particular food was rough.

Oh so you don't mind Sichuanese food but just had bad experiences in Sichuan? Yeah I could see that happen if you're unlucky though it never happened to me. 

Taiwanese food is awful and unfortunately not one of the perks of living here. They are really good at Japanese though.

Quote:So every country is in lockdown but China (where all this started) is back to normal, and it's so back to normal that clubs and bars are already poppin, and it's even gotten normal to the point where foriegners are already having a blast in china?

I am not in China right now but looking at my Wechat SZ and CD seem mostly back to normal though assumably with restrictions and health checks.
(05-06-2020, 03:01 PM)28Mackn Wrote: @dafeiji
So every country is in lockdown but China (where all this started) is back to normal, and it's so back to normal that clubs and bars are already poppin, and it's even gotten normal to the point where foriegners are already having a blast in china?

Something is not adding up man, chinese girls are not rocket science, getting them is believable even during a pandemic but there is too much bullshit and lies on this forum.

I mean I can PM you pictures and videos I've taken if you're really skeptical. You're also not here, so you can't really question my assessment of the situation. The clubs opened 3-4 weeks ago and have been going strong. You're supposed to wear a mask anywhere you go until you get inside the venue, then everyone takes them off and no one really gives a shit. I'm not gonna lie, there's still a decent number of people who are very paranoid about being in large groups, but by and large if you're just talking pure numbers of people out enjoying the nightlife these days, it's definitely right at about pre-virus levels, and I'm not surprised. If you've ever lived here for long you'd understand that there's just a certain energy to Shanghai that's hard to keep down.
天不怕,地不怕,只怕外国人说中国话!