The Vietnam Thread
Ah dude, that post almost made me spit out my cafe sua da lol.

I told Rick this the other day ESL is a choice between shit and less shit gigs. Dash must have more patience than god to have done it as long as he has. 

Having been to most of the Asian countries known for their talent, I can confidently say Vietnamese chicks are the hottest. If you have yellow fever, I don't think it gets any better than here. 

And Jesus Christ, just ran into my real estate agent (who's hot), moving a new chick into the building even hotter. The shorts she was wearing were basically briefs haha.
The descriptions of ESL work in Vietnam are virtually identical to what its like working at pretty much any school in China too. I did that for no longer than I had to before getting into work primarily freelance where I could establish my own rules and pick my own clients. That meant being on a tourist visa, which is a risky means of living in China year after year, which is why I've used the teaching money and experience to build some products that allow me to take advantage of the skills and knowledge set I've acquired from teaching ESL, without having to live in one place longer term, have clients from only one city, have an employer and actually teach.

I'm guessing with the current lax visa situation in Vietnam, an enterprising fellow could probably make decent money freelancing directly with families and not need to work for some retard English school. Of course, just like in China, it would probably take some time to build up a good client list, but it would be the superior experience by far.
It would be quite easy. Just get a Vietnamese copywriter, a stock photo of a blonde dude if you're not already yourself, and make a Facebook ad offering group classes. Could easily make $4k a month doing that. Hire some other white faces and you could make a lot more.

But there's loads of opportunity here aside from ESL. Property Management services for expats would be a great one because nobody likes to deal with a Viet landlord. 

I believe they also just changed the laws so that foreigners can get majority ownership in a company. If that's real, then this place is set up for a boom.
Every school and class is / can be different. Some jobs can be hell (my 1st job in Vietnam and my first one in Korea) and some can be decent to good (current job in Vietnam and later jobs in Korea).

What is so sweet about where I work now is I have complete control over the classroom and discipline (i can remove a kid from the class at will and keep him removed all day if I want) And since I am the teacher/center manager as well, I have complete control over the schedule and day to day teaching operations. Zero local oversight. If a parent walks in and says they want to speak to the manager they would be directed to me. That is stuff teachers rarely get. The only person who I am accountable for is a guy from England who is pretty chill and reasonable who is one of the regional managers.
Definitely gonna try to bang one of the front desk girls. She's sexy af. Came into my room earlier to check on the water heater. Told her we should test it together but I don't think she understood lol. 

Really like the place so far. Internet speed is ridiculous.

Whats up guys..going to go be in HCM for 1 month from tommorrow  if anybody wants to meet up. Posted on Roosh forum as well if you need more info.
I arrived in Saigon 5 days ago after spending one month in Bangkok. My plan was spending around 6 months here as the visa possibilities are great for me in Vietnam (just need to go outside the country every 6 months). I am in my mid 30s, I work online and I try to improve my passive income with affiliate marketing. I think I would be more or less even with just passive income in Vietnam, I can make a bit of extra money with a few freelance gigs but the plan is making a few thousands a month only in online passive income in the future, metting Vietnamese girls, learn basic of Vietamese and make some social circle here.

I think I have a love/hate relationship with that city. I visited the city in the past for short term trips and I forgot how the pollution-traffic was really making me mad.
Besides, my AirBnb host never replied so I took a last minute hostel to sleep when I arrived. I can't complain : 3 dollars a night breakfast included.
But doing some flat hunting, walking many kilometers everyday with the heat, the pollution and the noise and coming back in a room near Bui Vien with air conditioning and many people inside killed all my stamina.
I really don't feel like driving here. As an European guy, I really like walking in big cities but I have to be realistic here as walking more than 15 minutes becomes really painful. I started having a pain in the throat after 2 days of hard walking. And I could hear local people coughing from my window in the morning (and it wasn't because of the cold).

To be honest, I feel a good downgrade in lifestyle comparing to Bangkok where you get decently cheap flats with gym, swimming pool, great food, bridges for pedestrians and easy access to BTS to navigate in town. On the bright side, Vietnamese girls seem to be the cutest girls in Asia and Saigon offers tons of cheap food options too.
I was limiting my flat hunting to D1 but I finally narrowed down my search to East of Calmette street (to avoid the crap of the backpacker area) and South of Nguyen Thi Minh Kai Street (which has nice and quiet alleys where many digital nomads settle down). You have access to most of the Saigonese hotspots without motorbike in that part of D1. Grab is still the way to go for travels above 1 km and it is crazy cheap.

I visited many flats to have an idea of how it worked here and what the best areas to live were for someone not wanting to drive here. I found many terrible serviced appartments in D1 with poor or no light for around $400-$500. Sometimes I visited appartments were the family's owner was living downstairs which kills any kind of privacy.
I visited a flat 2 days ago which was very central (near Ben Than) very clean, great design and view on the Bitexco. The funny thing is it was a very old communist building with hundred of families. So the common area are really dirty, you have to pay to take the private elevator to a guy sitting in front during daytime and you have a bunch of guy sitting all day at the entry (maybe securing the many motorbikes at the basement but I wasn't sure)
Saigon made me so crazy that it finally made me reluctant to sign a 6 months contract after those few very tiring days. I think the situation will be much better when they will have the metro. I later asked the agent (really beautiful Vietnamese girl) if I could sign a 3 months contract but she said it was impossible. I can work from any place so I wouldn't mind about spending time in Bali in case I get disappointed by Saigon. But on the other hand, I think I need to settle down to stay productive.

So I finally decided to take one week of AirBnB to regenerate a bit and to see how I could see myself living in D1 outside the backpacker area, and funny story : my AirBnb flat is located in the same big old building I visited 2 days ago which is a great way to test the waters. I just moved today and I quite like the place actually, it is totally outside the real time. The guys at the entrance don't really seem to care everytime I pass in front of them which was one of my biggest concerns when I visited the flat previously ;  I also found there was was another dirty stair which doesn't force me to take the elevator way. The location is really prime and walking around during nightime is a much less painful experience. There are many options around for coffee shops and eating out which I really like and you don't have all those people harrassing you like in the backpacker area. 

There are a few decently priced good looking appartements on AirBnb in Saigon but you should book it weeks in advance if you want to stay a month there.
I think I will have a better mind to think about how long I am ready to stay after a proper night of sleep. Many thanks to Dash for bringing some great informations here. It really helped me in my searches.
^Basically my thoughts exactly. If you're a Euro, Saigon is gonna seem pretty 3rd world ish. Can't walk any where. No metro. The parks are meh. And the air pollution is pretty bad. Maybe not China levels but still bad. 

But still, the place does have a lot going for it. 

Matador, you'll save a fortune on rent just moving over to D4. Still 5-10 mins away from all the nightlife.
@El Matador

I think you are putting way too much emphasis on living in D1 (considering you work online). I would only be set on D1 if I was just doing a short trip / vacation to Saigon. If you are gonna live here awhile and don't have to commute to D1 in rush hour traffic daily, it isn't all that important or essential to live in D1. Better value else where.

Sure Bangkok has some advantages to Saigon, but in terms of the women you can date, it aint even close. Saigon has it beat by a wide margin imo. Just browse Bangkok and Saigon on Tinder and you will quickly see what I am talking about (unless you like alien looking ladyboy looking creatures).

This aint Europe or the West. You gotta come here with the right mindset and already know things are gonna be loud, dirty and unorganized.

Embrace it and start dating / banging the prettiest girls of your life.

Keep us updated. PM me your zalo number and you can meet up with us for a beer sometime.
Finally, a much needed good sleep and avoiding the harrasment of the backpacker area helped me to think in a more positive way.
I like the area around my AirBnb flat, it feels I won't get into trouble with the guards, this communist building is pretty fucked up but it has its charm and there is a convenient store in the same block. Lots of coffee shops around to work with a computer. Many options for restaurants. I am a food lover and it will be difficult to get bored here. On the high end, you have very good French and Japanese restaurants for half the price you would pay in France and Japan.

The quality of girls in Bangkok increases a bit if you stay a longer time but I agree Dash, Saigon has better to offer in general. Totally up for a beer someday too.

I will try to never compare Saigon to the Western world either. I didn't come here to be like at home although I feel I need a bit more of comfort with age. I'm an expericenced traveler and stayed in way more dangerous places in South America or North Africa ; I would say Saigon is a pretty safe place in general. On a side note, I have some Vietnamese roots which is one of the reasons I wanted to live here too. I have a few hints about the culture but I am still completly an outsider.
I think staying too many hours in the pollution during rush hours last week made me sick (coughing) and really got me on my nerves too. Smile

It is quite fair to compare Saigon and Bangkok though as those 2 cities are the top SEA cities and many guys hesitate between both cities. For someone who doesn't really feel like driving here, the location is absolutely key here, much more than in Bangkok. I visited a friend in Thao Dien which has its charm but it really is an expat ghetto at the moment. The lack of metro (which theoritically should arrive in 2020 and will change many things) is crucial.
Maybe at some point I will change my mind about the best area and get a motorbike. I need more time in the city to explore the other districts. I visited D4 today but again, walking towards D1 from there is not pleasant at all. They replace pavements with grass in many places for a mysterious reason I can't explain. Only good to stay with a motorbike in my opinion.

I really need to adapt my schedule to avoid rush hours. I think I will spend more time outside during night time. With a good organization and geolocalization, I have the impression you can really improve your lifestyle here.

So a quick update, I said to myself "Fuck it! I like the area and that fucked up commmunist building" so today I contacted the pretty agent I met last week and said I would sign a 6 months contract for the loft I visited last week end in that exact same building.
I think I can't get any better deal without Vietnamese skills for the characteristics I was looking for. It was a good idea to insist about visiting that one when she didn't replied the first time. It was really above all the other flats I visited as long as I don't consider the common areas. The rent is 9,900 millions dongs with internet/cable (excluding electricity and water but I will get State rate which seems quite rare apparently for foreigners). It is totally renovated with a mezzanine, a kitchen side with a bar, some nice natural light with two windows and a bloody good view on the Bitexco. The entrance of the building has a huge communist flag but the flat has an amazing capitalist view.
The deposit is just one month so in worst case I will lose around $425 maximum. For a quick comparison with Bangkok again, I pay a bit more here but I save the $50 of 30 days visa extension and the half day wasted at the Thai inmigration so all in one, once you include the extra visa costs, accomodation in Saigon in a prime location can be really reasonnable and compares to Bangkok.
Pretty happy with my decision. I will move next week going just 2 floors downstairs Tongue  I will be able to focus properly on work and girls/social life now my logistics are in a much better shape.
I met with my agent at a cafe next door, I invited her for coffee while doing the papers but her friend was waiting for her outside so no mess which is probably a good thing. Smile
Almost raged at the gym tonight.

So when you get a locker at the place, you can check out towels. I checked out a small hand towel, and it went missing while I was sparring (like I can keep an eye on while trying not to get knocked out...) Think an English girl in there accidentally grabbed it.

Anyhow, I asked the uppity little receptionist if there was a towel count at closing. If it turned up missing, I'd pay for it. She said there was but even if it did turn up, I'd have to pay. Fucking bloodsucker. A bunch of sexist and racist epithets came into my head lol, but I swallowed them because its the only muay thai gym in town worth a damn. But I'm gonna have a word with the manager next time. I'm sure they really dont want the rep of just another Viet business ripping off westerners given the membership is 90% foreign. And my trolling/rep ruining ability is second to none.

Most of the women here in HCMC are incredibly sweet and respectful. But there's a segment of the Westernized chicks and viet kieus which are complete cunts. And I'm gonna put that hoe in her place.

In other news, my airbnb host was a little scammer too. So I had a couple girls over, really not that many. But she wrote in her review that I had PROSTITUTES over. I only gave these girls one dong, and it wasn't currency lmao.

Also, I cracked a chair in the room just sitting in it. Wanted to charged me for that. It's not my fault the chair was a 3rd world piece of shit. Anyway, she filed a claim on airbnb against me with the slanderous prostitute accusation. I threatened to sue the shit out of airbnb. And I won the dispute. Last I heard they were suspending her host account lol.

God I love winning.
it's a damn shame the visa situation in BKK is so tricky. They really do have great condos at affordable prices. I can see now why so many hippies and geriatrics try to get into Thailand or die trying lol.
Apart from hotter girls: is there anything in any Vietnamese city that's better than Bangkok?

I have been thinking about moving to Saigon a couple of times but I just can't take the plunge because I feel like it will be a huge downgrade in quality of life compared to Bangkok.

So I am asking myself: is the upgrade in pussy really worth moving to Vietnam when everything else will be shittier?
Things that are better? Outside of rent, COL is slightly cheaper. Better visa situation. No ladyboys. Whites/foreigners are pretty respected here. 

I couldn't tell a guy to move anywhere just for better pussy. For me, that's never been my prime motive for living in a place. Hence why I never had any interest in going to the Phils..

If you come here for a week+ and find nothing redeemable about the place aside from the women, then it's probably best to stay in BKK. I do miss quite a lot about Thailand tbh.

@Matador

You're gonna have to give in and get a bike man. This city is not for pedestrians. You'll get run over. That is if you make it 10 meters without getting harassed for a ride from random Viet dudes. 

That metro was supposed to be already done by the way. Who knows where the money went. Honestly don't think the locals would use it if it were around. They love their horns too much.
(11-07-2018, 04:36 PM)Bateman Wrote: Apart from hotter girls: is there anything in any Vietnamese city that's better than Bangkok?

I have been thinking about moving to Saigon a couple of times but I just can't take the plunge because I feel like it will be a huge downgrade in quality of life compared to Bangkok.

So I am asking myself: is the upgrade in pussy really worth moving to Vietnam when everything else will be shittier?

I do not think it would be a huge downgrade in quality of life. 

Things that actively annoy me in Saigon

1) Noise 
2) Sending money home each month (takes too long in the bank) 
3) Exposure to the elements whilst driving 

That is about it. 

I rarely deal with traffic. 

I live in a nice apartment for 400 dollars. 

I live in a nice green open space area (Phu My Hung, D7) with lots of malls, wider roads, trees, parks, rivers, lakes and restaurants. 25-30 minutes from D1. 

Food and services are very cheap. 

On top of the girls being a clear notch above Thais in looks, they are also quite sweet, friendly and open. 

Foreigners and white expats are very much liked and respected here. 

Id choose to live in Saigon without hesitation over Bangkok all things considered.

I doubt that metro ever gets opened. The money has been lost imo.
(11-07-2018, 02:56 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: Anyhow, I asked the uppity little receptionist if there was a towel count at closing. If it turned up missing, I'd pay for it. She said there was but even if it did turn up, I'd have to pay. Fucking bloodsucker. A bunch of sexist and racist epithets came into my head lol, but I swallowed them because its the only muay thai gym in town worth a damn.
Hahaha, this made me laugh pretty hard. I've held back the rage in similar situations. Odds are that the chick was just a bitchy malcontent, but there's a minor chance she was getting turned on by pissing you off.

If you can, man, try to chat her up just a bit and see if the resistance decreases, if you feel that good kind of tension. In the off chance that you manage to lay her, that kind of spontaneous, borderline-angry-sex with a bitchy chick can be fucking awesome, and opportunities to have it are pretty rare in life. It's tough to game in places you visit often and can't afford to lose face in, like a quality gym, but if you're up for a challenge, I'd see how it goes.

Quote:But she wrote in her review that I had PROSTITUTES over. I only gave these girls one dong, and it wasn't currency lmao.
This is something that always spooks me a bit about airbnb, too. Even when I'm staying by myself in a city, I always book the reservation for 2 adults and let the host know that I'll be “meeting my girlfriend” there or something like that in the initial message. I've stayed in a bunch of places and haven't had any problems, but I'm always worried a bogus host will give me a bad rating for bringing girls over.
Bangkok Pros:

+Metro
+Highways/less traffic
+Quieter
+Rains less
+Better value short term apartments (You're not getting the deals Dash mentions unless you sign a year contract, deposit, and its unfurnished)
+Thai food > viet food
+1st world medical care (in VN you just die lol)
+Better/cheaper gyms (especially if you're into MMA)

Saigon Pros:

+Women 1-2 points ahead on the looks scale
+No LBs
+Visas
+Cops arent complete cunts
+Foreigners are respected

On paper, Bangkok beats Saigon. I think most tourists/digital nomad types would prefer the former. Also think Dash has a high tolerance for 3rd world problems lol, and he's on the wife-finding mission so it's going to be different for most guys.
(11-08-2018, 04:49 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: Bangkok Pros:

+Metro
+Highways/less traffic
+Quieter
+Rains less
+Better value short term apartments (You're not getting the deals Dash mentions unless you sign a year contract, deposit, and its unfurnished)
+Thai food > viet food
+1st world medical care (in VN you just die lol)
+Better/cheaper gyms (especially if you're into MMA)

Saigon Pros:

+Women 1-2 points ahead on the looks scale
+No LBs
+Visas
+Cops arent complete cunts
+Foreigners are respected

On paper, Bangkok beats Saigon. I think most tourists/digital nomad types would prefer the former. Also think Dash has a high tolerance for 3rd world problems lol, and he's on the wife-finding mission so it's going to be different for most guys.

Right, I forgot about the visa situation. For Americans that's a big plus for Vietnam.

Vietnam seems to be a good choice if you plan on staying for at least a year. Then the visa stuff is easier, you can get a good apartment deal and maybe even learn a bit of the language.

I have no problem with 3rd world living conditions. I have been to the poorest places in all of Southeast Asia. But if I can live in a "second world" Bangkok for almost the same cost of living, why would I want to live in a 3rd world city intead? Things like LBs, cunty cops or how well foreigners are respected don't really matter to me.

Food is very subjective. Personally, I am not a big fan of Thai food but fortunately you can even get halfway decent Japanese and Korean food in Bangkok for less than 3$ a meal if you know the right places. But I am sure that's also the case in Saigon.

What I really like about Bangkok is the whole infrastructure there. There are malls everywhere, all connected through the Skytrain and Metro. It's easy to go almost anywhere that is worth going to, which means that you don't have to stay in your little bubble around your apartment. Massage salons, bars, supermarkets, restaurants are everywhere and all of them are open until at least 10pm, some are open 24/7. And it gets more developed every year. And of course, rental prices are probably some of the best in the world. I don't know many cities with the QOL of Bangkok, where you can easily get a fully furnished 1 BR with swimming pool and gym, 10mins from the city center for less than 400$ on a 6 month contract. That's one of the main reasons that kept me from living in other Southeast Asian cities so far. You'll experience a drop of QOL but are expected to pay more for your apartment, which will most likely be shittier than an apartment for the same price Bangkok.
You answered your own question then. If you value QOL and bang for your buck, you'll get more of it in BKK.

I question why I'm here some days. Today was one of those days lol.
Ex gf out of the blue messaged me and asked me to go to Nam Du island with her this weekend.

Not sure what her angle is. Only has me to ask to go (doesn't have many friends who would be able to just go out the blue) or wants to try and get us back together.

I am gonna go, but wont be any getting back together. Maybe get some last time good bye sex from her.

On some other notes, I have developed a nice big list of girls who live in D7 over the past two weeks.