The Vietnam Thread
@Nexttrip

There are some things you are overlooking.

Working at an international school and finding a wife is not some easy thing I can do at the same time. Many countries I would not even want their local women for a wife. Also, for a newbie teacher, you pretty much have to take what you can get, which in many cases is in a place that is not really conducive to dating. A newb teachers can't sit there and simply point his finger at the map and choose anywhere he wants to go. Often times, newbie teachers get their start in undesirable locations like Middle East or 2nd / 3rd tier China.

Being a newbie teacher will require a lot of work to do your job well. Lot's of planning and prep on top of a 40 hour basic schedule. Doesn't leave a ton of time to dedicate to dating.

I make 24k teaching 10 hours a week with little to no prep. In a place that costs peanuts to live. My work life balance is insane. I make the schedule and handle things at my work. I have zero stress or worry about superiors. You are working 3-5x more than more with more stress, so I would hope you would be making 2-3 times more. And lets be real, even most IS teachers don't make a ton. Most are making 15-30k. Only a small % of IS teachers are in positions saving 2-4k a month.

I am not reluctant to move up or take the next step. Simply put, my number one priority right now is finding a wife. Vietnam BY FAR is the best place for me to do this. Hard to find more accessible attractive traditional faithful women for a man to date on top of the work here being insanely good for westerners.

I am not interested in finding a wife in Latin America. I am not interested in finding a wife in Middle East. I am not interested in finding a wife in Western Europe. I am not interested in finding a wife in Eastern Asia. The only places I would want to wife hunt would be in Eastern Europe and Central Asia (how is the pay there for newbie teachers and how is the dating scene? would I be able to go on multiple dates every week with attractive women while working less than 20 hours a week saving 1k+ a month?) I would wager my nut sack neither of those places beat Vietnam all things considered, even if I could simply pick which city and country I wanted in those places. Which we know that isn't really the case.

As I have shown, there is a ton of stuff you are overlooking or over estimating.

Trust me, I didn't think I would be still in the ESL scene now also. But priorities have changed and I had no clue just how cushy and enjoyable my life would be in Vietnam.

There is a plan, reason and method to the madness bro. Obviously I would like to have things done sooner, but life doesn't always work like how we want it or expect it. I want a wife and family. Vietnam and my current situation provides me the best chance of accomplishing my main priority right now.
Hear, hear. I second Dash's every word. I'm not in the teaching industry but I have the exact same attitude in my line of work.

I've turned down offers from virtually unlimited budget clients who literally said "just name your price". Because I knew once I did that, they'll own my ass. Fuck it.

And by the way I went down that road once. And quit after a few weeks. Can't handle it. The money isn't worth it.
Yea, money right now is not my focus or priority. I gotta find a lady suitable of rearing my kids and being a good wife. After that, then maybe I will focus on the green. But not at present.
Dash Wrote:I make 24k teaching 10 hours a week with little to no prep. In a place that costs peanuts to live. My work life balance is insane. I make the schedule and handle things at my work. I have zero stress or worry about superiors.
This is the thing that I think is most unbelievably freaking fantastic about your situation, and if it were me, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Under normal circumstances, it's impossibly hard to get that kind of freedom in terms of your schedule and that sort of work-life balance. Lots of cash doesn't do you a ton of good if you're constantly chained to a desk, and while everybody needs some amount of money to live, time is ultimately the most finite and precious resource we've got.

You can always get more money. You can never get back a spent hour of your time.

I travel for my job a for month-long stretches a few times a year, but my normal week is spent working 55-60 hours in the US. I've been thinking of bailing out and teaching English abroad, but Christ, the salaries teaching English are just ridiculous. ~$24,000 USD a year to teach English in a first world country? Aside from getting the residence status from the job, the actual pay is so low that it's hardly worth your time.

How did you get the gig you have now, man? Did you start as a more conventional sort of teacher before moving into your current role?

Malo Wrote:I've turned down offers from virtually unlimited budget clients who literally said "just name your price". Because I knew once I did that, they'll own my ass. Fuck it.
I've been in that realm, dude, and it's rough. Consulted for 9 months on a contract where I could bill unlimited hours, and they put me on call...half my weekends were spent in the office addressing emergency issues, I couldn't go anywhere without my phone blowing up, the quality of life was just trash. Money does you no good if you have zero opportunity to use it for anything meaningful.

Dash Wrote:I am not interested in finding a wife in Latin America. I am not interested in finding a wife in Middle East. I am not interested in finding a wife in Western Europe. I am not interested in finding a wife in Eastern Asia.
I'm starting to get to a point of thinking about this sort of thing, too. Out of curiosity, why did you rule these places out? Definitely interested in your experience here.
@Ameri

Yea, but even normal teachers here have it good ie 18-25 hours a week (18-22$ an hour) considering cost of living. You only need to work 10 hours to live decently. 20 hours and you can save a decent little amount as well.

But honestly, I have to pinch myself sometimes due to my current situation. Not many teachers in hcmc have it as good as I do.

Interesting note, I was with a girl who works for a multinational company handling salaries and compensation packages for engineering expats. Holy cow they make a ton. 8-12k a month. Was looking at her spreadsheets in amazement. You could live like a millionaire with that kind of money in Vietnam lol

I ruled those places out due to the quality of women. Easy to sleep around, easy to divorce, independent dont need a man mentality, family comes secondary etc etc

Eastern Europe, Central Asia and parts of Southeast Asia are where its at to find a faithful traditional good girl for marriage.
I gotta jump on the bandwagon and agree. Time is more valuable than money.

Of course, you have to trade some time for money. But, the goal is to work to live, not live to work.

I'd also add that for wife hunting, on Eastern Europe, I'm thinking about Russia before thinking about Poland again. Save for the village girls who stay and marry within their villages (went to one of these weddings), most Polish girls I knew seemed to choose career first.
Half the students in my Vietnamese class are expat engineers. A lot of them have their own company.

I don't teach, but from what I've seen the ESL teachers do have a great quality of life here. I've even had a couple girls tell me they don't date English teachers because they have too much free time. Makes sense given I work even less hours lol. 

The trouble with esl is it isn't a career or skillset really. Any backpacker passing through can take your job basically. I found it pretty intolerable in Korea but I never liked any job tbh. Also, even here I don't think $24k is a lot of money at all. If you want a Western lifestyle, and drink quite a bit - I'd say $1500 is a good budget. I've spent more but I've been rather debaucherous so there's that.
^ Same goes for any job, not just esl. Anybody is replaceable, the key is to have people not want to replace you, even if they easily can. If you're good, you build reputation, you build a client base, people recommend you, existing clients trust you and don't want to switch.
Relationships are important sure. But if there was a pyramid of skillset by rarity, ESL would be at the bottom. You don't even need a degree here.

I'm just saying I wouldn't personally be content with that or making that kind of living. But it still beats the rat race in corporate USA I'm sure.
Swear to god i've got a love-loathe relationship with this place.

On the one hand, the dating scene is great. It's probably 50% cheaper for a comparable quality of life than most U.S cities. Nightlife ain't bad. It's anarchistic in a good way. Government/police leave you alone as a foreigner. There's a energetic buzz in the air here, and you feel that VN is on the up and up.

But the cons do wear on me.

It's LOUD. The people are loud. Thais can get roudy when they're drunk but with Viets sounds like that all the time. The honking situation is just gratuitous noise pollution. People will honk for no apparent reason. I've almost gone incredible hulk on a few twats here for honking at me. Just no manners. Oh yea - people chew with their mouths open here.

It's cramped. If you're used to private space, you'll feel quite claustrophobic here. Tables in restaurants are right on top of each other. Went to a Korean place, and the old lady next to me didnt even need to get up to grab the salt off my table haha. Stairwells are designed for hobbits. Hit my head more times than I can count..

The young generation of viets are quiet pleasant. But the middle aged on up should have died in the War. I'm not even joking.

Also I think I've sampled enough Viet food to say its shyte lol. At least compared to Thai. Even Korean is more flavorful imo.

This is all probably just observations that come apparent after the honeymoon phase has passed. But still, I think anybody coming here should hear the other side of the coin. This ain't Thailand or the 1st world. It's still pretty rough around the edges.
Moving into new pad tomorrow. Will try to get some pictures of the apartment and also the neighborhood (Phu My Hung) which I think is the best neighborhood in HCMC all things considered.
(10-28-2018, 01:23 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: Swear to god i've got a love-loathe relationship with this place.
Actually, I'd say it's really good to share the downsides of a place, too. I liked this post a lot.

Quote:The honking situation is just gratuitous noise pollution. People will honk for no apparent reason.
Serious question - what the hell is with the honking? I was checking out a random YouTube video the other day to hear a sample of what the Vietnamese language sounds like, and this newscast was marred by a bunch of idiots honking horns like toddlers in their push-cart playmobiles. I figured it was just a weird video, but practically every one I stumbled across had ridiculous honk-honk-HONK-honk sound effects in the background.

Quote:Oh yea - people chew with their mouths open here.
Uff. Absolute deal breaker for me. I've had girls do that to me in the US on first dates, and there has never been a second date thereafter.

Quote:This ain't Thailand or the 1st world. It's still pretty rough around the edges.
It's cool that you've got experience with a bunch of different countries as a frame of reference. If you were stuck in one place for the rest of your life, would you go with Vietnam, Thailand, or Korea? The impression I always got was that the standard of living was far lower in a place like Vietnam or Thailand than Korea, but having never been to any of them, I can't really say for sure.
The honking thing is a mystery. I've never been to a country where the people are so in love with the horn. I've seen toddlers on push carts back in the U.S show more constraint.

The open mouth chewing is mainly an older generation thing. If you're dating <25 viet women, they're pretty Westernized and eat mouth closed.

Good question. Korea is basically 1st world at this point. Thailand has the advantage of 40 years of mass tourism and the infrastructure that created. There really isn't any product or service you can't get in Thailand that's of equal quality and cheaper. Medicalcare is top notch.

Vietnam is many years behind. You'd probably die here in VN if you need a serious medical procedure. Even the international hospitals are laughably bad. That said, I'd still probably choose 'Nam because there's a lot more upside/opportunities and it's easier for foreigners to live here.

I think if I were to stay here though, I'd probably get out of Saigon. There's really no reason to live here if you're not a teacher. I think other cities in Vietnam would offer a better quality of life. Gonna be checking out Nha Trang and Danang. I'd want my Vietnamese to be better before making the move though.
Never saw the appeal of being a teacher in VN. Getting up early in the morning, waiting for a grab driver or commuting on your motorbike in bumper-to-bumper traffic. They also force you to dress in ‘formal’ clothing for every job there. What’s the point? You’ll be drenched in sweat by the time you arrive at the school, then the brats will complain about the “tall nose smelly hairy foreigner” lol.

And taking orders from third worlders... yeah, nah.

I agree. Dash should be looking at international schools in China at this point in his career. He could easily be clearing $5000 a month there. Every year is being wasted in Nam. Some young backpacker SJW from the UK or Ireland or a western chick could come along any day now and say Dashie looked at her the wrong way, then his ass is shit-canned. lol You’re easily disposable over there. The unofficial cutoff point for ESL teachers is 35-40 years old. Schools no longer want you after that, trust me.
^Lol we know you hate the place bro. Big Grin

I agree on taking orders from 3rd worlders though. Drove me mad enough in Korea. Whenever the snaggle toothed boss lectured me on something, I just wanted to tell him, "Aren't you guys basically an American colony?"" Haha

I really think I missed the boat on the colonial era. Would have been glorious.
(10-29-2018, 01:31 AM)Vic Vega Wrote: Never saw the appeal of being a teacher in VN. Getting up early in the morning, waiting for a grab driver or commuting on your motorbike in bumper-to-bumper traffic. They also force you to dress in ‘formal’ clothing for every job there. What’s the point? You’ll be drenched in sweat by the time you arrive at the school, then the brats will complain about the “tall nose smelly hairy foreigner” lol.

And taking orders from third worlders... yeah, nah.

I agree. Dash should be looking at international schools in China at this point in his career. He could easily be clearing $5000 a month there. Every year is being wasted in Nam. Some young backpacker SJW from the UK or Ireland or a western womyn could come along any day now and say Dashie looked at her the wrong way, then his ass is shit-canned. lol You’re easily disposable over there. The unofficial cutoff point for ESL teachers is 35-40 years old. Schools no longer want you after that, trust me.

That is only for teachers with shit jobs ie public school or really shitty wanna be mom n pop centers. The teachers at the good centers don't deal with 50-80% of that. I deal with none of those issues you brought up. 

The job is secondary when it comes to the ESL industry. People teach ESL primarily for travel and things outside of work. Id still choose Vietnam even if I had one of the shitty jobs you talked about over a normal 9-5 in the US simply due to not needing to work much and also dating and banging way hotter younger females in Vietnam.

And to be honest, everyone should look at jobs as simply a means to provide a lifestyle they want or are comfortable with. Only a very lucky few actually get to have jobs that provide the lifestyle they want AND they actually enjoy.

As I said, I am not worried about money atm. My sole focus is finding a wife. Not particularly interested in Chinese women. Even assuming the dating scene is as good, which I would have to see to believe.

--------------------------

Moved into new pad today. Met this cute innocent type girl with a great smile the other day and again tonight. I normally don't go for the real Vietnamese looking chicks. But this girl has this cute factor thats hard to describe and a smile that worth a million bucks. Still dating around and its early, but this girl intrigues me.

I need to buy a new bike. Need to get rid of this POS nuovo ive been driving since I been here.

Hopefully the owner of the old apartment gives me all my money tomorrow (owes me 1k). If not she can kiss all her AC units in the apartment goodbye and maybe even the stove lol.
Vic Vega never fails to be negative, lol

Keep it up, Dash. And best of luck
Had the sofa delivered yesterday. Just a few more pieces and the bachelor pad will be complete. Really like living here. Got the best mall and outdoor area 5 minutes north (Cresent Mall). Then I got all the local stuff right around my place and 5 minutes to the south.

Gonna try and get either an electric or gas burner installed for the kitchen today. Got a "cooking" date planned.
Just moved into a super nice 1 bedroom in Phu Nhuan. Building is only 3 weeks old. Furnished and includes everything minus electricity for 10.7 mil. The girls that work here are ridiculously hot too.

Also got them to denominate the contract in vnd. As long as our dear leader Trump is in office, the dollar is only gonna get stronger. 

Initially, I wanted to be in D4 to be closer to my gym, but it would be an hour drive for my main girl in go vap. Phu Nhuan is actually probably the best district as far as logistics/girls anyway. You're not too far from anywhere.
I dont necessarily hate the country. I just wouldn't ever work there again for any schools, companies, or Vietnamese people... period lol. Luckily I work fully online now.

Who knows, I might come back for the lax visas and the girls, who are still highest quality in SEA if you know where to look.

If I tried to live in Thailand or wherever 3 months at a time all year, I'd undoubtedly get harassed and questioned non-stop by the uppity fucks at immigration every time I'd have to do a visa run.

Just saying, teaching in Vietnam is no cakewalk like some make it out to be. They don't pay you just for showing up. Its degrading dancing monkey shit. Even in the public schools, they told me I had to be "active and funny" ... to teach middle school and high school ages, lol. And I worked at Dash's company. The little brats there were absolute insufferable little shits that had me seriously rethinking my direction in life and life goals. lol

But I digress.