The Bitcoin Thread (price and other bitcoin related topics)
post deleted for shorter response tomorrow
(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: A simple example: I want to raise funds for a gofundme project that requires 100 ETH by the end of the year. I can write a program that executes on the blockchain itself which says that:

1) if the project receives 100 ETH from depositors by the end of the year, then I can access the money and start the project
2) if the project doesn't receive 100 ETH by the end of the year, then all of the ETH will be returned to depositors

This simple program is writeable and deployable on something like Ethereum (or NEO, EOS, Cardano, etc.). The script will be published to the various nodes and reliably execute in the Ethereum Virtual Machine which is run by all the nodes in the network. Other programmable blockchains have similar conventions for achieving similar functionality.

The thing is, programmable blockchains are endlessly customizable. You can do stuff like this for votes, multi-party approvals, and more complicated cases like insurance payouts and scheduled transfers of assets (loans, dividend payments, payment for completion of work, etc...).

Ok... go do all of those things and have fun.  Why the fuck you talking about them here?

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: This is not doable on Bitcoin;

Who cares?

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: there is no execution environment for it on the Bitcoin network.

Do I give any shits?  Apparently not.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: On Bitcoin you can send + receive.

That seems to work pretty well, right?  You can HODL, too, and you can make a lot of money because it is secure.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: Ignorant comment here, JJG. I cannot believe you would draw a comparison between Bitcoin and other blockchains that are natively programmable... Shows a real lack of knowledge.

Why would I need to know about something that does not matter?  You want to invest in that crap, then you better learn about it.  Go ahead.  Learn about it and take it somewhere else.  You are admitting that you are off topic by going on and on and on and on about something that is not bitcoin... and then proclaiming that I have some kind of need to know about the supposed capabilities of your shitcoin nonsense?

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 06:33 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote: There is some privacy in bitcoin, but maybe not as much as some folks would like. Of course, several aspects of bitcoin still being developed. Don't rush a good thing, billy. [Image: tongue.png]
Bitcoin is private to the extent that it is somewhat anonymous.

However, transactions are visible to all so if your identity somehow gets linked to your Bitcoin address it would be easy to track you. That's a problem, especially when you consider that the onramp/offramp for Bitcoin is through exchanges who require your information and provide you an address...

O.k..  If you don't like it, then don't buy bitcoin.  Go buy some other thing.  You already said that you don't buy bitcoin, so why you talking about all the things that it cannot do, and you are not really saying anything new, except characterizing these things as supposed problems.  What is your point?  You think that guys should not invest in bitcoin because of some of these supposed problems that are not really problems except that you say that they are?

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: In order to achieve privacy, you have to do janky workarounds like using a new Bitcoin address for each transaction or going through a mixer service. 

What if I want to send coins to other places around the world, am I going to be stopped because of this?   Bitcoin is still censorship resistant, and no one can stop me from sending coins, as long as I have the private keys and I hit send.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: This is a shortcoming when you consider that other coins have privacy features that are native to the currecy (Monero, ZCash) where you don't have to jump through those retarded hoops.

Oh so monero and zcash are better than bitcoin, now?  Is that what you are saying?  If they are better, then they are not sufficiently better in order to take over bitcoin's network effects, are they?

(10-31-2019, 06:33 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote: If you are trying to suggest that bitcoin is less scaleable than ethereum, then you don't have very favorable facts in front of you currently regarding relative scaleability of the two, do you?

JJG! Why do you keep bringing up Ethereum in the Bitcoin thread? Tongue 

In order to bash on it.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: At this point, Ethereum has more than double the tps capacity than Bitcoin on Layer 1 at 15 to 25 tps. So yeah, it is more performant, at least at Layer 1.
Ethereum also has more transaction volume

Great.  Go over and play with your favorite coin.  No one is stopping you.  I know ethereum is so wonderful that they cannot even figure out if they are going to throw the whole of Ethereum 1.0 in the trash, or if they are going to transition to Ethereum 2.0, which is supposed to resolve all of the issues of Ethereum 1.0.  In other words, they don't even have a functional system beyond some centralized database leaders telling you about your transactions, like ripple or like swift..

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: (while Bitcoin, of course, still generates more total transaction fees).

Likely a trend that will continue, but hey bet on whatever horse you like.  If you like that house of cards nonsense, aka ethereum, then of course, go buy it.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: Doesn't really matter because, much like Bitcoin's 7 tps, Ethereum's 15 to 25 tps is not adequate either. Neither project in their current iteration is scalable to meet the demands of potential widespread adoption.

Bitcoin is doing fine, so I don't know what you are talking about when you are trying to suggest that it has the same kinds of scalability problems as ethereum.  You are just making shit up in order that you can attempt to put bitcoin in the same category as ethereum, which happens to be broken with fantasy fixes that have not even been implemented, yet.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: Now if we're talking about Layer 2, Ethereum seems to be further along. Lightning still has security vulnerabilities while Ethereum has production ready in solutions state channels (e.g. Connext network) and, on the horizon, Optimistic Rollups will allow for 2,000+  transactions / second.

Good for you.  Relevance?

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: But that's neither here nor there, especially in this thread... 

Maybe you are starting to get it?  I doubt it.    Rolleyes  Rolleyes

(10-31-2019, 06:33 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote: your facts are wrong here [about high Bitcoin electricity consumption], too, even though there are a lot of nonsense talking points on this topic from bitcoin naysayers, no coiners and alt coin pumpers.

How disingenuous can you be? It is no secret that Bitcoin consumes an enormous amount of electricity.  Apparently more than the entire country of Switzerland...

Does anyone care except the bitcoinnaysayers, no coiners or altcoin pumpeners?    nope.  Therefore, I rest my case.  Largely the supposed energy consumption matter is either a non issue or a fabricated issue.  Hoping to get some attention to nonsense.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: Saying that this is a 'just a talking point' is like the black knight of Monty Python saying that his missing arm is 'just a flesh wound'.

Not quite, but whatever.  Bitcoin's proof of work is backed up based on energy and decentralized decision making, and if people chose to mine, then they are going to have to expend energy efficiently if they want to resolve the math problems that allow them to receive coins and to be able to make a profit.  If they cannot mine efficiently, then they are likely to go out of business, and maybe they will go mine ethereum or some other shitcoin, or when ethereum supposedly moves to proof of stake (if that ever happens) they can buy into that kind of a ponzi scheme that disproportionately rewards incumbents.  That would be much better to get involved in a scam, right?

You understand that proof of work is the innovation that bitcoin brought to the space, including the fact that it is a kind of unique way of constructing incentives around it that ends up both securing the coins and producing rewards, and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, if not better.  In other words, proof of work and mining is working out great in terms of creating incentives and protecting the bitcoin network from small and large attacks  Bitcoin's security is likely the only reason why governments and financial institutions are allowing crap centralized projects like ethereum to exist.  So you and your scumball ethereum pumpening buddies should be thanking bitcoin for such security to the space that largely guards bitcoin as well as the other various crapola that is out there and largely freeloading off of the coattails of bitcoin.

(10-31-2019, 06:33 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote: Regarding my supposed desperation: How do you conclude that? You conclude that I am "desperate" because I frequently say that you are full of shit rather than entertaining your self-ascribed valid and important points?

You are desperate because you are unable to acknowledge or offer simple rebuttals to well-documented and obvious risks to your pet project.

Why does my opinion matter?  I am one person.  Why would I need to defend anything related to bitcoin?  especially anything assigned by you?  I share information and I have taken a stake in bitcoin, so therefore I invest my money into the project.  That should be enough.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: You call those objections 'talking points' without offering further commentary or explanation.

I say that they are talking points because that is what they are.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: Please point where I am wrong... 

You are right.  Bitcoin sucks, and you should buy ethereum instead.   Are you happy now that I said it?

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: You also disregard the merits and innovations of other projects lumping them all 'shitcoins'

That is correct.  Shitcoins are off topic here, except for bashing them.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: when you frankly don't know what the fuck you're talking about when you criticize them.

I don't need to know about any details related to shitcoin in order to either bash them or not invest in them.  If I was wanting to either learn about bitcoins or make some kind of compare and contrast, I would go to another thread, which I generally don't go to other threads because I prefer bitcoin, and I prefer to attempt to stay focused on bitcoin.  That is enough.   This thread also prefers to stay focused on bitcoin, except you want to continue to bring up non-topical stuffs.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: In fact, the more you talk on other projects' shortcomings, the more I can tell you're in the kiddie pool with your current level of understanding.

I am glad that you came to that assessment about me.  That is really going to help you in life, isn't it?  Now run along, and go invest and talk about the so many great aspects of your other projects, and guys who are interested in bitcoin can stay in this thread and stay ignorant regarding details of those various other irrelevant and stupid scam projects.. aka shitcoins.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: You don't even seem to know what a programmable blockchain is, lol!

I know enough to know that I am not interested.  Shitcoin pumpers and shills frequently like to bring up technical areas in order to attempt to show how smart they are, but those technical areas tend to NOT be relevant, so go ahead and play around with your various programable crap, and we will stay with the already programmed bitcoin.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: That reeks of intellectual dishonesty to me but others can judge for themselves.

Yes.  Let them judge for themselves.  Now, run along billydingdong, and find yourself another thread for your little games and discussion about the so many great aspects of various shitcoins, including the degree to which they are way more programable than bitcoin.  

You are not really talking much if anything interesting related to bitcoin in your recent posts here, especially since bitcoin has already been programmed to merely be sound money rather than allegedly "programmable" as if their were any advantage in that.  Rolleyes

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: That said, I credit you for disclosing your position (+50%) and I also credit you for not encouraging others to go all in and employ a sensible strategy of DCA. That admittedly deserves a thumbs up.

At least there is something that is potentially redeemable here.  And, guys can do whatever the fuck they want, but in the meantime, we will continue to attempt to talk about bitcoin in this here thread to the extent that we are not drug into various nonsensical points about what shitcoins are supposedly going to do to revolutionize the world... while bitcoin continues to merely press on in its various boring ways.

(10-31-2019, 11:57 PM)billydingdong Wrote: I can even credit swordy, who confessed that he didn't sell at $20K. But I imagine that  price drop since then  made more than a few hairs in his neckbeard turn grey!

Maybe?  There are quite a few folks out there like me and like Swordfish, and hopefully in the end, guys can find a balanced approach to bitcoin that works for them, whether that is investing 1% to 10% of their quasi-liquid investment assets as I recommend for starts, or some other amount that works better for them, especially after they have studied the space and figured out what works for them, including accounting for their cash flow, other investments, timeline, risk tolerance, view of the asset (bitcoin) in comparison to other possible investments and their skills and abilities to spend time to continue to learn about it.

(11-01-2019, 02:54 AM)billydingdong Wrote: post deleted for shorter response tomorrow

You were engaging into some kind of high level jujitsu with your deletion of your earlier post?

I was in the middle of responding to your deleted post at the time that you deleted it, and it said that it had been posted for over three hours.  I thought that there was no ability to edit or delete posts after they were an hour old (but you seemed to have proven the ability to delete a post that is more than an hour old).

Whatever, I already responded to your various nonsensical quasi-irrelevant points  (and quoted those points above, too).  Kind of too late to do anything about it when I already put some efforts into responding.
Maybe a monthly price update chart will cheer some of us up?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=...sg52943544

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FC2eNw6K.p...NcipPqRfhw]
I am not sure if I like the term "Ponzi Rally" that is labelled in the patterns of this particular chart, but you still get the idea from the chart regarding seemingly repetitive patterns... also when showing in the past is one thing, but the length of time varies too.  Will the cycle be longer or shorter? or steeper or flatter?

https://twitter.com/crypto_birb/status/1...3948910595

[Image: EIOLmHhX0AArOIX?format=jpg&name=small]
(11-01-2019, 04:38 AM)JayJuanGee Wrote: Maybe a monthly price update chart will cheer some of us up?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=...sg52943544

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FC2eNw6K.p...NcipPqRfhw]

Let's hope so! I wouldn't doubt it.
The meme in the below referenced tweet (including the music) is funny as fuck regarding a set of BTC price predictions that had been on track, but such predictions have kind of gotten off track, as of the end of October, since it is now conclusive that BTC had not reached $16k by October 2019.

https://twitter.com/thecryptomonk/status...65120?s=21
Just to repeat myself: I don't follow bitcoin or crypto religiously. I do have coins and one day will sell a portion to collect on my gains. I don't trade. I will contribute a bit more on this thread and am not an expert. Having some exposure to this asset is intelligent but don't invest what you're afraid of losing.

I don't remember if I stated this but about a week or two ago I deposited some more money into BTC. I've read the past 5 posts and have browsed around Hacker Noon to post something that will add to this conversation. I'm trying to develop some questions but don't have any at the moment. I'll report back again about a week from now.
Here's another article about both BAKKT and their recent expansions into the bitcoin space and the ongoing and increasing interest of financial institutions to either get into bitcoin or to have increases in financial tools that are available to them, regarding bitcoin.

https://www.theblockcrypto.com/post/4534...g-to-bakkt

@Chicagofire:  Sure.  Post whatever you can and when you can.  There's always a flood of bitcoin related information out there, and I try to post mostly what interests me, and what I believe might be of interest to other guys, and surely I miss some articles, and I surely screen quite a bit out too because I either do not believe those screened out articles to be relevant or interesting - yet I understand that other guys likely view matters of relevance and interest differently from me.

By the way, it appears that you might have been able to pick up a bit more BTC before our 42% pumpening on last Friday.  It always feels nice to get in before a pumpening because even if the price ends up going lower (at a later date) you at least feel that you could have done worse in your purchase price.   Wink
I like this article about how Venezuelans are making ways through mesh networks that are similar to other experiments to be able to use bitcoin's lightning network during blackouts.  Could come in handy, no?

https://www.coindesk.com/venezuelans-mad...-blackouts

In a related tweet there seems to be some evidence of Venezuelans, Argentinians and Hong Kongians using bitcoin as their refuge (not fiat). 

https://twitter.com/CryptoWelson/status/...0578037761

[Image: EIQQyQqXYAEt4W0?format=jpg&name=small]
If you use chrome browser, there is an emergency update.

https://thehackernews.com/2019/11/chrome...pdate.html

They did not release any details, but seems problematic if there are ways that hackers could use the browser to take over your computer.

Such times in which we live.
(11-01-2019, 03:07 PM)ChicagoFire Wrote: Just to repeat myself: I don't follow bitcoin or crypto religiously. I do have coins and one day will sell a portion to collect on my gains. I don't trade. I will contribute a bit more on this thread and am not an expert. Having some exposure to this asset is intelligent but don't invest what you're afraid of losing.

I don't remember if I stated this but about a week or two ago I deposited some more money into BTC. I've read the past 5 posts and have browsed around Hacker Noon to post something that will add to this conversation. I'm trying to develop some questions but don't have any at the moment. I'll report back again about a week from now.

None of us are experts, this shit is the most complicated technology ever created. I just get frustrated with the very dumb posts from people constantly hating that don't even have a basic understanding that are constantly wrong. I.e. shitcoins and shorting. I appreciate your input and questions.
(11-01-2019, 06:08 PM)Swordfish1010 Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 03:07 PM)ChicagoFire Wrote: Just to repeat myself: I don't follow bitcoin or crypto religiously. I do have coins and one day will sell a portion to collect on my gains. I don't trade. I will contribute a bit more on this thread and am not an expert. Having some exposure to this asset is intelligent but don't invest what you're afraid of losing.

None of us are experts, this shit is the most complicated technology ever created. I just get frustrated with the very dumb posts from people constantly hating that don't even have a basic understanding that are constantly wrong. I.e. shitcoins and shorting. I appreciate your input and questions.

Exactamente!!!!!

Normal guys and genuine guys welcome as fuck.

Part of the problem that Swordfish seems to be suggesting seems to be that guys want to lecture about quasi-irrelevance rather than brainstorming about meaningful matters that are actually related to bitcoin and various investment strategies and allocations around bitcoin.  

Surely, there is no problem disagreeing either as long as we are at least attempting to talk about bitcoin related matters most of the time..  .. and there are quite a few bitcoin related matters...,... as can likely already be recognized from the contents within the relatively short history of this thread.
https://store.pine64.org/?product=14″-pi...tober-2019

Might get one for my next laptop. what a deal!
https://www.whatbitcoindid.com/podcast/n...nd-bitcoin

Szabo on WBD. Listening now
(11-01-2019, 06:50 PM)Swordfish1010 Wrote: https://store.pine64.org/?product=14″-pi...tober-2019

Can you break down why you think this is a good deal? I'm in the market for an affordable laptop.
(11-02-2019, 05:10 AM)churros Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:50 PM)Swordfish1010 Wrote: https://store.pine64.org/?product=14″-pi...tober-2019

Can you break down why you think this is a good deal? I'm in the market for an affordable laptop.

Look at the specs. It is basically taking the mantra of the raspberry pi but taking it to the laptop space. fast enough, nice keyboard and trackpad, nice design, only $200. Personally I am a stickler for the keyboard and trackpad feel, which is why I only really like Macs and chrome books. this was basically designed to outcompete the Chromebook and just run Linux natively instead of the user installing linux over chromeos.
(11-02-2019, 02:49 AM)Swordfish1010 Wrote: https://www.whatbitcoindid.com/podcast/n...nd-bitcoin

Szabo on WBD. Listening now

I usually listen to What Bitcoin Did on the Let's Talk Bitcoin network, and it has not yet come up on my feed - which is through Overcast.   I will comment further after I listen to it.   Peter (the host of WBD) surely get's a lot of good guest, and he is pretty prolific too.

Nothing too exciting going on with BTC price right now.  I do get a little excited when my buy or sell orders are filling, even if frequently these days, they are just tiny percentages of my overall holdings, but when the price keeps moving in the same direction for a decently long period of time, then lots of orders fill and they tend to add up in that direction.  So, for example, when the price went shooting up from $7,400-ish to $10,300-ish, I had a lot of sell orders filling up, but the drop back down to $8,961-ish and then the bounding between that price and $9,950 has caused both rebuying and selling and rebuying, so even though the amounts are relatively little, there still is some stacking of sats going on in the process, overall.

By the way, as I type BTC's price is hovering in the $9,300 arena, so my next sell price is around mid $9,700s and my next buy price is in the lower $8,800s, so there tends to exist a decent spread between my orders when we are consolidating, but whichever direction starts to fill, then causes me to perk up a little bit because "orders are being filled" and then I realize (on a personal experiential level) that the BTC price is moving somewhat, rather than merely consolidating.

By the way, regarding laptops, I suppose it can be o.k. to have some extra ones sitting around, and likely they are more powerful than even higher end ones that you may have had a few years ago.  I have a tendency to have a lot of computers in various locations, and some of them are quite old.

My tendency is just to keep using my old computer when I upgrade to a new one, so the older models largely just serve as a kind of monitor (largely to monitor my BTC prices addiction), and quick internet access, if I want to look something up quickly and I don't want to be squinting on my phone.  

A few years ago, my main computer went out, so I had to get it repaired, it was a keyboard and monitor issue, and then I hooked up the harddrive to my back up computer and about 2 days after I set that up and was using it as my temporary primary, then that one went out with a similar issue (both turned out to be motherboard issues), so I had to go back another generation, and then hook up my harddrive and use that even older computer (which seemed fucking slow, especially compared with my then current model).  Anyhow, it is nice to have back ups when systems go down and also I don't tend to lose data, either (which reminds me about running another backup).... 

About 6 months ago, I went to my mom's house to change her router to a faster one - her router was like 8 years old or more, and when I had changed one of mine, so I had decided to change hers too.  I had not realized how much faster the routers had gotten, so it is good to update the speeds on them.  So then after I finished setting up her new router, which took only about 15 minutes, I saw her digging under her bed for a 2002 computer that she had not used for about 8 years or so, I think that she had updated computers and routers about 8 years previously, and she said that she wanted to give it to me to see if there is anything that I could do with it.  I did not really want to take that computer, but I said o.k... let me see what I can do.  I ended up setting it up, and it just runs in one of my corner locations..  At first it kept crashing (freezing), but then after a while, I streamlined one of the log ins to only be running a browser and now it runs for several weeks at a time before I have to reboot it.  I consider it to be pretty stable, and I can easily refer to the current BTC price, or look up a recipe or some other interesting trivial fact that might cross my mind when I am nearby that computer location.  hahahaha
(11-02-2019, 07:37 AM)Swordfish1010 Wrote:

Look at the specs. It is basically taking the mantra of the raspberry pi but taking it to the laptop space. fast enough, nice keyboard and trackpad, nice design, only $200. Personally I am a stickler for the keyboard and trackpad feel, which is why I only really like Macs and chrome books. this was basically designed to outcompete the Chromebook and just run Linux natively instead of the user installing linux over chromeos.

Cool, thanks. What's separating the $100 option apart from the ram? Is linux a big learning curve?

https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinebook
Here's a link to an interesting announcement regarding basic teachings on bitcoin and cryptocurrency added to French high school curriculum.

https://www.coinjournal.co/students-in-f...nd-crypto/

Also, discussed in this reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comment...urce=ifttt
(11-02-2019, 03:43 PM)churros Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 07:37 AM)Swordfish1010 Wrote:

Cool, thanks. What's separating the $100 option apart from the ram? Is linux a big learning curve?

https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinebook

Linux is almost as easy to use as macOS at this point for common tasks - web browsing, documents, etc. It pretty much took over in the last decade since it runs most web servers and mobile devices. It is a good thing to understand in the modern information economy. I would go for the $200 laptop over the $100 one, but the $100 one is a good deal too. The $100 only has 16gb of storage though, but you can buy a slim flash drive to plug into a USB port also and/or upgrade to 64gb.