The Vietnam Thread
Went and got a day pass at Fit24. Expensive 300k.

Will check out Cali Fitness on Wed.
Today went and checked out California Fitness. They asked for 450k for a day pass.

The girl said they would do 2 years for 14m (access to all Cali Fitness centers in the hcmc)

Think I will sign up for the 2 years on Friday. Then if I leave VN just sell my membership to someone else.

Gym was a bit smaller than id like but was easily able to work out (noon) and had all the essential equipment.
In Da Nang right now. I decided to just spend a week here as I was last here during Tet for just a few days and I was nursing a BAD sunburn so stayed in doors most of the time. Didn't think that gave me enough data points to get a feel for living here. So this week is an exploratory mission.

Observations:

-People SMILE here. Such a refreshing change from the dour Saigonese
-No traffic..same as during Tet. Walking around at 5pm and barely any cars or motorbikes around on the main road off the beach.
-Loads of (attractive) chinese/korean girls walking around. These would be the best target if one lives here as the city isn't big enough to be playing the field with local girls long term. I imagine one would get blacklisted pretty quickly.
-Construction. This is really the only noise one hears here but it is everywhere. This town is booming.

Have some local business ideas here I want to look into. And then I'm going to one of those digital nomad (lol) meetups on Friday.

Also going to check out Hoi An and Hue since I didn't have the chance to do it last time.
(06-05-2019, 11:29 AM)Dash Wrote: Today went and checked out California Fitness. They asked for 450k for a day pass.

The girl said they would do 2 years for 14m (access to all Cali Fitness centers in the hcmc)

Think I will sign up for the 2 years on Friday. Then if I leave VN just sell my membership to someone else.

Gym was a bit smaller than id like but was easily able to work out (noon) and had all the essential equipment.
450 k for a day pass seems outrageous... Dodgy
carpe diem
^^ it is.

Should be 100-200k max.

Glad she is letting me put it towards my membership.

Ill go back on Fri and sign up for the 2 years.
Isn't even 14 mil a bit steep in Vietnam? That's close to the rate I'm paying in the west.
(06-05-2019, 03:42 PM)glugger Wrote: Isn't even 14 mil a bit steep in Vietnam? That's close to the rate I'm paying in the west.

That is for 2 years for one of the best gyms in Saigon. 

Gyms are more expensive in Asia than in the West. 

That 14m for 2 years equals out about what I pay in the West. 

Alot of people here pay 10m for 1 year. 

Overall a good deal.
Anyone on tinder here be aware of chicks asking to chat on an app called bgcupid. I had 3 girls in a row ask this googled it and it’s some scam. Report as spam. Recently tested out the premium version as it was 6 bucks. Have to say I might end up keeping it. Although majority of likes it said I had were girls I hadn’t matched with due to them looking so so.

I went from 2 matches a day to around 20-30 with half of those being decent. I did change all my pics to the best ones I had though. Hottest girls still seem struggle to get out on dates. I think connecting a decent Instagram account would be worthwhile in this case.
Bgcupid spammers are so damn annoying. Been happening for awhile.

Periodically changing pictures boosts your matches and exposure imo
Da Nang seems like a great place to live if you're no longer really playing the field, but rather get a GF or even a wife.
(06-06-2019, 08:34 AM)CleanSlate Wrote: Da Nang seems like a great place to live if you're no longer really playing the field, but rather get a GF or even a wife.

I think you could have a few plates here easy enough. But with the tourist flow, it'd be easy enough to keep busy lol. Western/Russian chicks here are THIRSTY if you're into it. 

Can't say enough about the quality of life here. It kind of reminds me a bit of Miami - just without the price tag, pretentiousness, and crack heads running around.

I drove up to the Lady Buddha statue today and a local girl cold approached me. She asked what I was doing in Da Nang, how long i was staying, and gave me some suggestions for things to do. That sort of thing never happens in Saigon. People there really don't have the slightest interest in foreigners. Got smiled at by the most of the girls I walked past here today as well. Even the guys are friendly. It's like an entirely different race of people.
SpEd,

Must never been to a park in Saigon. You will get approached liked crazy.
Been to loads of parks in Saigon, albeit usually to go for a run.

The approaches in Saigon are usually of the annoying "a lô" variety with a handwave. I've never had a meaningful conversation from them. Its kind of like the American "how are you doing?". We dont really want to know lol.

Why dont you try pickup in the parks if you get approached so much?
Foreigners get approached like crazy at the parks in central D1 for actual conversations / practicing english.

I should do that. Along with many other things. Bit lazy.
I think its something some youtubers say, but its exaggerated in my experience. But then again I go at night.

What i meant with the annoying approaches comment is yea its almost always a practice their English thing which I'm not keen on doing. I guess if you already teach English its ok but being a white talking monkey for somebody is not what I chose to do in my free time.

A genuine small talk approach not based on some sort of language extraction - never had that happen in Saigon that I can recall.
(06-05-2019, 03:55 PM)Dash Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 03:42 PM)glugger Wrote: Isn't even 14 mil a bit steep in Vietnam? That's close to the rate I'm paying in the west.

That is for 2 years for one of the best gyms in Saigon. 

Gyms are more expensive in Asia than in the West. 

That 14m for 2 years equals out about what I pay in the West. 

Alot of people here pay 10m for 1 year. 

Overall a good deal.

Ah ok. Maybe its just me but all I need from a gym is a squat rack, dumbbells and cable row machine, I don't go for fancier stuff. But I guess if you are doing classes or something like that it might be worth it.
I think my tolerance for Westerners is wearing thin. Went to that digital nomad meetup last night. So much cringe.
Had this fat uptalk American chick talking through everybody. Said she lived in Chiang Mai the last year. I asked how she was managing the visa situation. She says she didnt want to commit to learning thai or muay thai for an ed visa (or pay for it) so she'd just been doing 30 day visa exemptions. Says it all really.

After an hour hearing about how none of these guys we're making any money, I faked a phone call and sped out of there.

In Hoi An right now, hippies and aspiring begpackers everywhere. I try to not be judgemental, but these types just annoy the heck out of me. Cheap, no appreciation for the local culture,etc. Glad they just skip through Da Nang.
I share an apartment with foreigners UK mainly and lately I’ve been hearing some passive aggressive comments on how bringing back so much different girls makes females uncomfortable. Definitely getting my own place when I’m back. Gonna get a 60 day thailand visa and hit the islands.
Yea I've realized that I just don't want even want to associate with people that aren't on the same page, or in a similar stage in life. It can be slim pickings out here though. Sometimes you just need to socialize and find people that are somewhat likeable.

But generally speaking, if a guy's leftist, unmotivated, fat, presents like a slob,,etc..I avoid them. And that's most digital nomads lol.

I've realized that the whole 4 hour work week phenomenon (while a great book which inspired me) has had a negative effect in that it's brought hordes of people out here who simply dont want to work. It's 100% about lifestyle for them which is imbalanced. Men were meant to create and build. It's our creativity faculty which sets us apart from the animals. To scrape by in life just doing the least amount possible is not actually living.
(06-08-2019, 08:14 AM)Rick91 Wrote: I share an apartment with foreigners UK mainly and lately I’ve been hearing some passive aggressive comments on how bringing back so much different girls makes females uncomfortable. Definitely getting my own place when I’m back. Gonna get a 60 day thailand visa and hit the islands.

It's called jealously eh.