Repairing Strained Family Relationships
(08-27-2019, 02:47 AM)Crazy Horse Wrote: Over the past decade I’ve blazed my own trail and in the process became estranged from my family. I never felt like I had a place in my parents home or that they had much interest in my well being when i was growing up, so at 18 I basically shipped out and haven’t spoken to many family members more than a handful of times in the past decade.

This is something that weighs heavy in my mind and heart. My grandma is ill so i’m flying across the US to see her and my parents at the end of this week. I’ll be in my hometown for six days before traveling south to see another relative for a few days, then i’ll fly back to the west coast.

My goal for this trip is to forgive the family members that i’ve resented for so long, and to seek their forgiveness for me being so distant. I want to clear the air and start fresh. It’s important to me that I do this before I jet off for long term travel around the world within the next 7-12 months.

I’m wondering if anyone else here can relate to the tendency to withdraw from close family relations. How do you keep in touch while you’re traveling? Do you find yourself going months or years without talking to your parents/siblings/ extended family?

There are times where I don't speak for months with my brother. My Mom died several years ago, and I wish I would've drawn a line in the sand and spoken with her less — over the years, she became contemptible in many ways that I wish I wouldn't have looked past.

I've come to see it this way: you don't owe your family anything, but to not be a burden on them.

If I don't get a sense of mutual respect, fundamental decency, and familial affection from a family member, I'd rather remain cordial and keep my distance.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Repairing Strained Family Relationships - by billydingdong - 08-29-2019, 05:32 PM