Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Travel Budgeting
Hello Swoopers 

This subject been irritating me for so long and even most of the guys around the world. How would I budget my trip? what should I do? what should I not do? in this thread, we will share our experience in how to cut the cost and enjoy the travel such as: 
  • Websites 
  • Ideas 
  • recommendations 
that depends on the country where Swoopers has experience and how to plan or budget the trip.

* Sorry my English is not that good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sultfex's post:
  • Shaen
I am liking this thread.
I don't remember where I read this but I heard it is better to exchange currencies in the actual country vs in the airport.  I asked my buddy who is a captain for southwest and he confirmed that. Airport exchange will rip you off slightly.
(02-11-2017, 05:13 PM)Shaen Wrote: I am liking this thread.
I don't remember where I read this but I heard it is better to exchange currencies in the actual country vs in the airport.  I asked my buddy who is a captain for southwest and he confirmed that. Airport exchange will rip you off slightly.

two weeks ago I was in Ukraine since your next travel to it. and one of my friends advised me to change in the airport but I didn't follow that the rate was 27.40uah, but inside the city was 28.50uah for1$.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sultfex's post:
  • Shaen
I would like to hear what you thought about Ukraine in the Ukraine thread!
Budgeting....

Find a good value airbnb

Eating like a local

Finding cheap places for dates & drinks

Limiting expensive nights out
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dash's post:
If you do at least month stays, you will save a lot of money on apartments

Finding cheap flights (even saving 50$) will add up to a ton of money over a year of traveling

getting a debit card that pays you back atm fees (like charles schwab) is a life saver

THC and I are talking about making a product where we share exactly what we do to be able to live the lifestyle we live. I haven't even been back to USA in 4 years, been traveling that whole time. Before that in the last 6 years I've only been home for a total of 6 months.
[-] The following 3 users Like 20Nation's post:
  • Shaen, 262, new
20Nation Wrote:If you do at least month stays, you will save a lot of money on apartments

Finding cheap flights (even saving 50$) will add up to a ton of money over a year of traveling

getting a debit card that pays you back atm fees (like charles schwab) is a life saver

THC and I are talking about making a product where we share exactly what we do to be able to live the lifestyle we live. I haven't even been back to USA in 4 years, been traveling that whole time. Before that in the last 6 years I've only been home for a total of 6 months.

What he said about Schwab. Capitol One also offers checking and savings accounts that allow you to use your debit card at local ATMs without any currency exchange fees. I've never used it but the guy that told me about it has been an expat in Medellin for over ten years.
Yeah like said before changing money in the city is much better. Last time in hong kong I just googled best money exchange in hong kong and vuala found one close to my place that had insanely great rates. When traveling for a longer period I try not to eat in restaurants that much, there are a lot of great street food options, at least here in SEA, but if I can't find any I always look around my area restaurants on tripadvisor for best quality/price meals. When it comes to flight tickets I always check on skyscanner and when I find a best deal will always double check on momondo. Very often they have cheaperprice for that flight
[-] The following 2 users Like GoodTimes's post:
  • 20Nation, TravelHardcore
(02-13-2017, 11:18 AM)GoodTimes Wrote: Yeah like said before changing money in the city is much better. Last time in hong kong I just googled best money exchange in hong kong and vuala found one close to my place that had insanely great rates. When traveling for a longer period I try not to eat in restaurants that much, there are a lot of great street food options, at least here in SEA, but if I can't find any I always look around my area restaurants on tripadvisor for best quality/price meals. When it comes to flight tickets I always check on skyscanner and when I find a best deal will always double check on momondo. Very often they have cheaperprice for that flight

Nice, I'm using skyscanner all the time - "flexible dates search". I usually double check a specific flight via the airlines website also. I didn't know about Momondo, booking some flights tomorrow, will try it.
Good poiint about Momondo. Haven't tried it myself, but a few travel deal sites I follow recommend booking through them for the cheapest fares.

Azair.eu is also useful for more advanced flight searching, at least here in Europe. You can search for trips that start, connect, and end at different airports, look for trips for a certain duration in a certain time period, etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 262's post:
  • TravelHardcore
Nice, I put this momondo tip to good use already so props!

I found a cheap flight from Manila to Jakarta but it was 8 hours with a layover in KL. Checked Momondo and it had a direct flight for the same price. Part of my booking routine from now.
Google Flights - Skyscanner - Momondo
For the 2 biggest low cost fly companies(Wizzair and Ryanair) in Europe is very worth it to buy membership.
Just after 1-2 flights you'll save 40€, and paid the memebrship. You just have to do the things properly. 
For example to print you boarding card before the flyWink
For Wizzair, you can buy cheaper tickets with the membership for 2 persons!

If you want more adrenalin, autostop in Europe is working perfect (exeption are Italy and Spain)
Yeah, good airbnb search is important. There is discounts for longer stay. Is good to look for that also.
Best is to have a friends around the world or  like friends girls which you're using only for pleasure and to host you.

I've rule to do not buy anything if somebody offer me at the streets.

Sure the currency exchange at the airports, or train stations are worst! That's very old known fact.
I allways ask locals what and where is the best deal.

Also to get freinds with the seller at the bakery for example close to your place is allways imporatnt.
I do friends fast everywhere i go and that's help me a lot.

Very dengerous point for me is when i get drunk in a bar, and a really start to don't care for the money.
last years i'm trying to avoid tht shit.

Now i remeber what we did when i was teenager in Bulgaria:
Around the discotec we hide a bottle of strong home made drink(it's called rakia) of my father.
Normaly we hide in some bushes and after time to time we get out from the bar to have a shot.
That's save us money for drinks. Sure i did'n do that since 15 years may beSmile
[-] The following 2 users Like RoadSenseOwner's post:
  • Shaen, 20Nation
Seriously, some great advice here. I have been using this thread while planning my trip for India, some gold here!
(02-26-2017, 12:27 PM)RoadSenseOwner Wrote: Very dengerous point for me is when i get drunk in a bar, and a really start to don't care for the money.
last years i'm trying to avoid tht shit.

When I drink my money just disappears. 

It's called the "beer scooter"; when you don't remember how you got home and why all your money is gone. How? You paid the beer scooter.
[-] The following 3 users Like TravelHardcore's post:
  • 20Nation, RoadSenseOwner, ViceHunter