Profiling People: A Skill I picked-up Abroad
This is one of these Twilight Zone type things, I show up back in the US after time in Central/Eastern Europe and I can profile people. Like a (skilled) TSA guy at the airport.

What I mean, is I'm able to look at a person and tell you where they're from. I used to believe that profiling was a myth, but now, having a sixth sense for it, I can say it indeed works.

It is all very contextual, but maybe guys can chime-in. I would posit i developed this skill because I was in a foreign environment and highly aware/ sensitive of minor differences between cultures/ nationalities.

For example, this is a really easy one, you have a guy, 20's, short-cropped hair, wearing Adidas trainers, jogger pants, and a hoodie/ sweatshirt. To complete the look, he has a man purse. His face is thin and angular. The gait of his walk has a sort of "street" sensibility about it.

Like I said, this is an easy example, so the answer to the question I posed is that the guy is likely from the Balkans or FSU.

Individual brands, let's say Stone Island (originally popular with 'Casuals' soccer hooligans), have a huge cachet in the Eastern European/ hooligan/ streetwear hip hop crowd. So if he were wearing Stone Island we could infer he very possibly belongs to one of these groups. With a bit more of background knowledge, we would realize he is also likely wearing a fake because a stone island shirt costs upwards of 300usd in US/UK.

Let's move onto the question of phone. We can infer things about where someone is from/ their socioeconomic status based on the phone they carry. iPhones for example are very popular in the US/UK/ Western Europe, but not so in Eastern Europe. Primarily because of cost; a new iphone could cost two month's pay in some of these countries. Even if such a person were able to afford one, you would see they have a 6/7/8 rather than a X.

Tell me I'm not crazy, I know the examples aren't great, but hopefully you guys get the point.

Counter example: You are abroad, the person is wearing flip flops, shorts, t-shirt, speaking loudly, Ran-Ban sunglasses, brand new iphone. A: probably American.
This is not profiling. Is common sense.

Guessing that a guy is from FSU or Balkans is very broad. To profiling should be along the lines "This guy is from Odessa", or "This guy is from Bosnia".

Also if a guy dresses like shit and talks loud that makes him an American...well, that is not even common sense, that is a fact.
What Every Body is Saying is required reading for any man. Its written by a retired FBI interrogation expert who is a master of body language. Body language is a skill most men need to be taught and is subconsciously understood by women.

https://www.amazon.com/What-Every-Body-S...142&sr=8-2

Example:

The feet tell all. We train our faces to lie because they're so complex. Feet are simple and men don't think about them. Men look at people from the face to the feet while women look at people from the feet to the face. Think about it... how many times have you been complimented on stylish shoes by women?

The reason is unless trained your feet lie. If you're confrontational they're shoulder width and toes pointed outward. If you're scared they're close together to minimize your image of being a threat. If you want to escape they point to the nearest exit. Go to a bar and watch a bad approach and I guarantee you the girl is turned 45 degrees away with her feet toward the door.
(03-05-2020, 05:30 PM)Rocha Wrote: This is not profiling. Is common sense.

Guessing that a guy is from FSU or Balkans is very broad. To profiling should be along the lines "This guy is from Odessa", or "This guy is from Bosnia".

Also if a guy dresses like shit and talks loud that makes him an American...well, that is not even common sense, that is a fact.

I can profile based on country it is not too hard. Not always accurate but can usually get the region/ ethnicity.
(03-05-2020, 05:30 PM)Rocha Wrote: This is not profiling. Is common sense.

It means he's British, tbh.
I used to ask foreigners how they could tell I was American without even speaking to me.  Some of the responses were:

Wearing khakis
Wearing tennis shoes
Tall height
Musculature
Particular confidant walk (women cite this)
Particular mannerisms (women cite this)

I now no longer wear tennis shoe nor khakis and I people have to ask where I am from.  I usually say I am Swiss :-)))

But you are simply picking up patterns of identification.  Western peoples have been so programmed away from doing this that it seems inappropriate to us, but it is not.
Favorite Countries:  Finland, Latvia, Ukraine, Serbia, Montenegro, Georgia, Japan, Argentina.

Countries For Future Travel:  Norway, Sweden, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bosnia, Macedonia, Moldova, Uzbekistan.