TV Show Thread
During 2019, I made a special point of reducing my intake of video-based media and replaced it with more reading (and other healthy activities) and for the first 21 days of 2020, I took it up another notch by not watching anything at all. I could see myself restricting video-media watching to just a couple days a week, like my family did growing up. However, being semi-quarantined right now due to the threat of the Wuhan Coronavirus, I've been watching a lot more movies, YouTube and TV shows than I normally allow myself. And given how I've minimized my consumption for over a year now, I have a number of good shows to catch up on.

Bojack Horseman

Right now I'm watching the second half of Season 6. I love how Diane is on anti-depressants, overweight and dealing with a career that has totally not been worth it. Very honest show. In past seasons, we've gotten to watch Princess Caroline try to rearrange her life to give herself a feeling of relative accomplishment as she comes to terms with decades dedicated 100% to her career. And lest you think the show is only tough on the female characters, we've also watched as Bojack slowly and painfully makes small steps towards meaning and healthy relationships.

This show has never been about happy endings. From the very beginning, Bojack's life has been contrasted with the fictional show Horsin' Around which like most 30 minute sitcoms, always offered a happy ending. But despite the very slow and incomplete progress Bojack has made in his own life over six seasons, it's enjoyable to watch due to the show's excellent grasp of complex humour and the fact that maybe, there's a little Bojack inside of all of us.

Chernobyl

A YouTube show I watched the other day that commented on the Coronavirus situation mentioned the parallels between the handling of this crisis and the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown. I'm just two episodes in, but this show has met rave reviews and so far I'm very impressed by it.

What good shows have you seen recently?
Technically not a TV show, but Rian Stone on his YouTube channel covers using the "red pill" in your relationships with girls in a way that isn't often mentioned in this space:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ayoBG...iOVX9y2_IQ

Also, the first season of The Mandalorian was decent. It's basically a Western set in the Star Wars universe. And unlike the last few films, it doesn't rely on nostalgia or politics nearly as much to carry it.
Sopranos

This show doesn't need a description. It is a masterpiece.

True Detective Season One

Its not about cops and bad guys... its about two men and life. If you are a fan of philosophy, namely Nietzsche, you will enjoy it. 

Chernobyl

Well made suspense film and I really enjoyed it. Well acted, directed and the pace was good. However, it was not historically accurate.

Punisher

Fire in the hole series that was pretty fun but nothing special. I recommend it.

HBO's Rome

One of the best TV series out there and probably my favorite. It follows two fictional soldiers in the Roman legion during the reigns of Caesar and Octavian. The fictional parts intertwine masterfully with the non-fictional parts of the history during the revolution circa 45 BC.
The Witcher on Netflix wasn't bad.  It had some really crazy visceral horror elements... especially regarding Yennifer.  But I mostly put those scenes up to "rape fantasy feminists" playing to the adolescent male crowd.  The show mostly stayed on course in the series, but I do not doubt that they will veer from it as the hr/sjw notices popularity and starts to dig in.  Next target: Geralt !
(02-07-2020, 11:22 PM)RIslander Wrote: Sopranos

This show doesn't need a description. It is a masterpiece.

True Detective Season One

Its not about cops and bad guys... its about two men and life. If you are a fan of philosophy, namely Nietzsche, you will enjoy it. 

Chernobyl

Well made suspense film and I really enjoyed it. Well acted, directed and the pace was good. However, it was not historically accurate.

Punisher

Fire in the hole series that was pretty fun but nothing special. I recommend it.

HBO's Rome

One of the best TV series out there and probably my favorite. It follows two fictional soldiers in the Roman legion during the reigns of Caesar and Octavian. The fictional parts intertwine masterfully with the non-fictional parts of the history during the revolution circa 45 BC.

Rome was great. Sopranos I saw intermittently, but was very good. Still no match for a mafia themed Italian series of the 80s called "La Piovra".

I like the classics though, Bonanza, PI Magnum, High Chaparral, The Saint, The Avengers, Get Smart, Miami Vice, McGyver, even Parker Lewis was awesome back in the day, and the Fresh Prince of Bel Air was also hillarious.
@Rocha - yeah the oldies are still goodies.

Parker Lewis Cant Lose was quite good, we even had that here, has not been re-runned to death like Friends either.
Friends was charming. Anything without the Ross character generally made me smile. But it wasn't funny like Seinfeld was.

Home Improvement, Seinfeld and Married With Children were the sitcoms that were funny.

(02-08-2020, 12:27 AM)Helikron Wrote: The Witcher on Netflix wasn't bad.  It had some really crazy visceral horror elements... especially regarding Yennifer.  But I mostly put those scenes up to "rape fantasy feminists" playing to the adolescent male crowd.  The show mostly stayed on course in the series, but I do not doubt that they will veer from it as the hr/sjw notices popularity and starts to dig in.  Next target: Geralt !

I was really disappointed with Witcher. I thought the books were great and even though I'm not a big gamer I liked the game. Too much SJW bullshit yes but the writing and direction was terrible and thats why it was unwatachable. I kept zoning out and never finished the season.
If you can stand bad sets, makeup, 90's vibe... Babylon 5.

The story is great.
A couple decent shows are starting up again soon. Narcos Mexico, Better call Saul and Ozark.

For those that haven't seen it, Narcos Mexico is about the start of the Sinaloa cartel, El Chapo eventually takes over the Sinaloa cartel so I guess this is kind of like a sequel to the other popular Netflix show El chapo.
I was a big fan of TV shows, but lately there haven't been many good ones.

The latest TV show I properly enjoyed was Succession from HBO.
(02-08-2020, 12:23 PM)Naitsabes Wrote: The latest TV show I properly enjoyed was Succession from HBO.

Don't worry. There are a ton of better shows than that.

Try Briarpatch. Based on the first episode, it was potential.
(02-08-2020, 02:58 AM)RIslander Wrote: Friends was charming. Anything without the Ross character generally made me smile. But it wasn't funny like Seinfeld was.

Home Improvement, Seinfeld and Married With Children were the sitcoms that were funny.

(Yesterday, 09:27 PM)Helikron Wrote: Wrote:The Witcher on Netflix wasn't bad.  It had some really crazy visceral horror elements... especially regarding Yennifer.  But I mostly put those scenes up to "rape fantasy feminists" playing to the adolescent male crowd.  The show mostly stayed on course in the series, but I do not doubt that they will veer from it as the hr/sjw notices popularity and starts to dig in.  Next target: Geralt !

I was really disappointed with Witcher. I thought the books were great and even though I'm not a big gamer I liked the game. Too much SJW bullshit yes but the writing and direction was terrible and thats why it was unwatachable. I kept zoning out and never finished the season.

While I liked them when they came out, for me Friends and Home Improvement has not aged well.  I really cant stand Friends these days, as it is to me an cautionary tale of what not to do between men and women.  The sad truth is that one cant be friends with women whom they are fucking, nor can you bang your female friends and act like their friendship can stay the same.(Chandler's relationship with Monica is a little different, Chandler is basically banging his friends sister and is willing to marry her)  The characters from Home improvement seem too one-dimensional for me, with the exception of Wilson of course.  I know full well that with Home improvement that is the overarching joke, but it perpetrates the bungling fool of a husband stereotype that I cant stand and takes it over the top.

That is a shame about the Witcher.  I was interested in watching it, and I like Henry Cavil as an actor.  

As for the OP.  I don't have my TV hooked into anything.  It basically is a DVD platform that I watch the shows that I like enough to buy the series.  I was thinking of getting Netflix, but have for quite a while delayed getting it.  I really don't need TV, and certainly don't need to watch the propaganda that is spewing out there on the commercials.  The only time that I watch commercials is when I am doing things for and with my mom.  

TV series that I second are:

Rome
Magnum PI (original Cast)
True Detectives Season One
Babylon 5

TV Series that have not been mentioned that are on my play list are:
Burn Notice
Mission Impossible(60 vintage)
The Office
The Tudors
Archer
Justified
Firefly

to name more than a few.
Formerly known as Bluto.
Currently watching Narcos, just finished the season for Narcos: Mexico. I have to say it does not stack up with the first couple of seasons, Escobar set that bar too high.
What made HBOs Rome so great was the character development. It's about masculinity and brotherhood. Vorenus is the hard nosed pious stoic that gets the job done but bottles his emotions until they destroy him. Pullo is the foolish swashbuckler who relies on Vorenus to keep him in check. 

This scene always gives me chills (Vorenus rescuing Pullo from the gladiator pit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUUiLCKepek
Firefly (and Serenity, the movie) are well worth the time-sink.  

And I'll add Battlestar Galactica, Sci-Fi version/remake, to the mix.
(02-08-2020, 10:09 PM)Helikron Wrote: Firefly (and Serenity, the movie) are well worth the time-sink.  

what about the Serenity movie did you like? 
i thought it was shite! story line had some merit, big gov corp tries to create perfect people & communities by making them docile slaves who dont have aggression and wont fight, maybe Hollyweird is showing the plebs its hand again, but thats it, acting is not even B grade class.

the main guy (the dude from Castle) is not a good fit for that role, he isnt that bad ass, the main bad guy (the black dude) is way more bad ass than him.
even Mother from Platoon (also dont know his real name) was more bad ass than Castle, and he is like the comic relief.
and dont get me going on that over rated girl from the Terminator TV show, her acting ability is ... well, over rated (as is her looks).
(02-08-2020, 10:09 PM)Helikron Wrote: Firefly (and Serenity, the movie) are well worth the time-sink.  

I want to like the remake of Battlestar Galatica, but I remember seeing the original, which I think is better.
Formerly known as Bluto.
I've been watching a new show The Unicorn this weekend. I gave it a try simply because I've appreciated the past work of two of the lead actors.

It's actually not that funny, although there's been a few times that a particular joke has had me laughing my ass off, but mostly it's not that great of a comedy.

Its depiction of game, also isn't entirely accurate, although it does demonstrate that groups of high energy males with a great friendship are desirable.

Why have I kept watching then?

Because it's depiction of good fathers is heartwarming and positive. Unlike most sitcoms in the last thirty years, it doesn't make silly men the butt of every joke, in fact, it honours the contribution that dads are making to their families. It shows them consistently putting their families first, and for the most part, being respected for it. Not that it doesn't poke some fun at the dads, but it does the same thing with the moms in equal measure.

With just enough funny moments for the show to limp along, watching this stupid show is good therapy in an age when fatherhood is usually mocked and rarely depicted in a positive light.

If you've got nothing better to do, I recommend watching. Despite good numbers (both in viewership and ratings), I don't think The Unicorn deserves a second season (which means it will probably get one). However, just watching Season 1 is a nice break from the usual anti-family garbage we usually see on TV.
House MD is another good series, especially the older seasons. The later seasons went a little over the top because they were running out of illnesses. I like to nerd up and pause the show and try to research the potential illness online. From friends I know in medicine they say its actually pretty well researched for a TV show.
(02-09-2020, 03:39 AM)JolietJake Wrote:

I want to like the remake of Battlestar Galatica, but I remember seeing the original, which I think is better.

I enjoy both.  I saw the original when it was on the air for the first and second times and later just a few years ago.  I saw the remake, sci-fi version on cable with now an ex-g/f and mother to my youngest daughter, and besides them shifting traditionally male chars to females, it is a-ok in my book.  Actors and actresses in both the old and the new were fan-fucking-tabulous.

(02-09-2020, 03:14 AM)Marius Aëtius Wrote:

what about the Serenity movie did you like? 
i thought it was shite! story line had some merit, big gov corp tries to create perfect people & communities by making them docile slaves who dont have aggression and wont fight, maybe Hollyweird is showing the plebs its hand again, but thats it, acting is not even B grade class.

the main guy (the dude from Castle) is not a good fit for that role, he isnt that bad ass, the main bad guy (the black dude) is way more bad ass than him.
even Mother from Platoon (also dont know his real name) was more bad ass than Castle, and he is like the comic relief.
and dont get me going on that over rated girl from the Terminator TV show, her acting ability is ... well, over rated (as is her looks).

I have seen Serenity probably four times and the tv series about the same, and enjoy them for what they are.  The tv show plugs the depths of the characters and the movie is an action romp with little character development.  Who cares?  My balance of judgement is: was it fun.. either for the depth or the action?  7.7/10 on the show, 7.5/10 on the movie.

(02-09-2020, 03:39 AM)JolietJake Wrote:

I enjoy both.  I saw the original when it was on the air for the first and second times and later just a few years ago.  I saw the remake, sci-fi version on cable with now an ex-g/f and mother to my youngest daughter, and besides them shifting traditionally male chars to females, it is a-ok in my book.  Actors and actresses in both the old and the new were fan-fucking-tabulous.