Did 20Nation and THC ‘make’ it?
Just wanted to start a thread to see if you guys were ever successful in your endeavors. I hope this isn’t intruding too much on your privacy. 

I know you guys quit being pussy paradise connoisseurs to become software engineers in Silicon Valley since digital bromadism wasn’t paying the bills.

Are you guys successful programmers in the Valley or SF now building up a fat bank roll for SEA/EE/whatever retirement or what?
I wouldn't say I'm making a Silicon Valley salary. But yes, I have been successful in getting a solid programming job and am now working remote (writing this from Colombia). I think Swoop had paid the bills for 7 or 8 years by basically writing about what I loved doing, so I would say that we were also successful in what we wanted to do with Swoop.

There were periods when I was programming for 12 hours a day, to try to get the skills/experience that I needed to get the jobs I want. I won't say it was easy, but it was a new chapter that has been great so far.
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
(10-30-2019, 03:02 PM)20Nation Wrote: I wouldn't say I'm making a Silicon Valley salary. But yes, I have been successful in getting a solid programming job and am now working remote (writing this from Colombia). I think Swoop had paid the bills for 7 or 8 years by basically writing about what I loved doing, so I would say that we were also successful in what we wanted to do with Swoop.

There were periods when I was programming for 12 hours a day, to try to get the skills/experience that I needed to get the jobs I want. I won't say it was easy, but it was a new chapter that has been great so far.

It's definitely good to hear you guys are doing well and haven't faded into the ether in the way people like Tom Torerro have. maybe at some point you guys can do a podcast with updates or something. I'm curious how the programming thing worked out in terms of what went well and what you'd do differently.
I don't think anyone "makes it" writing articles or stories about slaying pussy. As entertaining as that may be as a lifestyle, it really doesn't lead anywhere stable. When you career is based on game, your whole identity (at least in the eyes of others) is based on your ability to either seduce women or teach other men to do the same. It's kinda like being an Olympic athlete. You're not going to be able to run the 100m dash professionally until you retire and being a professional athlete is more or a lifestyle than a job.

At some point, you're simply not going to be able to perform and your ability to continue to live a meaningful life is dependent on making a smooth transition to something less exciting and probably unrelated.

I'm not sure what THC has been up to, but 20Nation has made the smart move in my opinion. He's opted to exchange the never ending treadmill of chasing pussy professionally for a career that allows similar freedoms, but with the ability to structure his identity more comfortably.

That might not be "making it" by everyone's definition, but it certainly is better than burning out with no clear transition plan.
It depends on how you measure it. From a pickup perspective, for sure. They have achieved more than most ever will in multiple life times. 20nation picking up coding is a smart move.
Yeah i think it was the right move. I was also ready for a new challenge and now that I have 2 kids, I have to be able to help support them.

Yeah I think before too long, I can do another podcast on where my life has gone. It could be interesting.
(10-30-2019, 03:02 PM)20Nation Wrote: I wouldn't say I'm making a Silicon Valley salary. But yes, I have been successful in getting a solid programming job and am now working remote (writing this from Colombia). I think Swoop had paid the bills for 7 or 8 years by basically writing about what I loved doing, so I would say that we were also successful in what we wanted to do with Swoop.

Thanks for responding. I’m guessing you already had a bit of a tech/coding background before you started?

Did you self-study or take any courses, bootcamps etc? How long did it take you to land a job?
(11-06-2019, 06:06 PM)Vic Vega Wrote:

Thanks for responding. I’m guessing you already had a bit of a tech/coding background before you started?

Did you self-study or take any courses, bootcamps etc? How long did it take you to land a job?

Start with cs50.tv
I didn't have any real coding background. I did myfreecodecamp and I had a mentor who would point me in the right direction. After that I just started building things. I built a couple websites and an app before I got a job. It wasn't easy to get my first job because there are a ton of guys out there right out of code camps. But now that I have had a job for a bit, companies have gotten a lot more interested.
(11-07-2019, 03:04 AM)20Nation Wrote: I didn't have any real coding background. I did myfreecodecamp and I had a mentor who would point me in the right direction. After that I just started building things. I built a couple websites and an app before I got a job. It wasn't easy to get my first job because there are a ton of guys out there right out of code camps. But now that I have had a job for a bit, companies have gotten a lot more interested.

Good to hear you're doing well, man.

Out of curiosity, did you specifically apply to a remote job?  Or did you go remote afterwards out of random chance because that was offered by the job you happened to land?
This is awesome. Actually the other day I decided I want to go down a similar path. For now I'm using free resources online to learn Python. After I have a good grasp of Python I'll decide if I want to pursue this career path further and take a bootcamp (or just go back to school). Data science looks interesting, but Python seems to be needed for both data science and programming, so I'll figure that out later. If anybody else is pursuing this, would you want to start a new thread, or a Skype group or something? It would be good to motivate each other and share ideas. Or just DM me. A buddy of mine studied computer science several years ago, and at this point (about 4-5 years later) he's making serious money in the field. He recommended this free course for learning Python. I'm working through it now https://www.udacity.com/course/introduct...on--ud1110
(11-06-2019, 12:46 AM)20Nation Wrote: Yeah i think it was the right move. I was also ready for a new challenge and now that I have 2 kids, I have to be able to help support them.

Yeah I think before too long, I can do another podcast on where my life has gone. It could be interesting.

Hey man that podcast would be great. 

It would be really awesome to hear about your experiences. I am sure many people also benefit from in someway.
smuggling the white colombian powders is good too
(12-25-2019, 07:20 PM)mickizzzz5@gmail.com Wrote: smuggling the white colombian powders is good too

What?
(10-30-2019, 03:02 PM)20Nation Wrote: There were periods when I was programming for 12 hours a day, to try to get the skills/experience that I needed to get the jobs I want. I won't say it was easy, but it was a new chapter that has been great so far.

Congrats. Good to see this kind of real advice being given.